Author Topic: Shocks?  (Read 831 times)

Offline BoringDave

Shocks?
« on: March 04, 2012, 01:41:45 PM »
I'm starting to re-search shocks and am havering a hard time finding specs. I'm sorry to say this but I'd like to find cheep shocks like Procrap or Rough County. The reson for this it's just a trail rig and will be trailered. I just see no point of spending a ton of dough on Bilseins just to beat on the trail.

So anyone have a link or something for shock specs? I'm willing to bet ill need something in the 14" travel range or more with my SOA on OME springs lift.

Dave

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: Shocks?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 02:57:44 PM »
I'm starting to re-search shocks and am havering a hard time finding specs. I'm sorry to say this but I'd like to find cheep shocks like Procrap or Rough County. The reson for this it's just a trail rig and will be trailered. I just see no point of spending a ton of dough on Bilseins just to beat on the trail.

So anyone have a link or something for shock specs? I'm willing to bet ill need something in the 14" travel range or more with my SOA on OME springs lift.

Dave

i looked on quadratec, it tells you min and max length between bolts - substract the min from max for travel. You'll need to measure at extended length on yours and at least max length should match that but of course you should match both so it won't  bottom out on the shock.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 04:29:56 PM »
You can always look for shocks spec'd for a 4" to 6" lift and build the shock mounts to suit the shock travel.  You're not going to have tons of suspension travel with that setup, and it's best to limit uptravel with the correct length bumpstop to lengthen the life of your springs.  Repeated over-compressing of springs will shorten their life significantly.

I run Bilstien's, 14" on the front and 11" on the rear, SOA with RE 1.5" springs.

Offline BoringDave

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:03:41 PM »
  You're not going to have tons of suspension travel with that setup.

You don't think OME springs SOA won't flex well? I've read several posts on other jeep forums that they flex like crazy. As it was SUA it would use up every inch of travel with 10" shocks.

it's best to limit uptravel with the correct length bumpstop to lengthen the life of your springs.  Repeated over-compressing of springs will shorten their life significantly.

My plan is to bump stop just past flat. I beleave that's what your doing now?

Did you convert over from the stem top to the eye top shocks in the front?

Dave

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 04:04:15 AM »
 Yes, by using '88 Ford F250 shock towers, only $15ea from the dealer, great mod.