Author Topic: Considering a Safari Snorkel for your 2.5L??  (Read 2083 times)

Crunch

Considering a Safari Snorkel for your 2.5L??
« on: February 20, 2008, 01:11:21 PM »
Hi Everyone,
  I thought I registered here back in '06, but apparently I was signed in as a guest the entire time...ah well.  I posted this up on JeepForum, but thought you guys might want to see this.

If you're considering an ARB Safari Snorkel for your 2.5L TJ, and you have AC, please take note of this thread.

The part # is the same for the 4.0L as the 2.5L. No worries, you're getting what is available for the 4 cylinder.

Follow the instructions provided from ARB, except for the following:

The stock routing of the air tube from the snorkel to the airbox will not work without some modification if you have AC. The tubing will rub against the motor and the belt. You can make it work, you only need to do the following:

1. Cut the new inlet tube you attached to your airbox down 1.5", while lessening the angle it comes away from the airbox. Be sure to leave enough at the bottom of the inlet for the tubing to adequatly engage with the hose clamp.

2. Raise the airbox 1". I bought longer bolts (1/4 20, 2") with 1" worth of washers (use less washers and another nut to keep them from coming off when you remove the airbox in the future). This will allow you to better clear the belt.

3. Bring the tubing up from the fender, between the high pressure AC lines and the battery. Don't try to bring it directly to the airbox parallel to the lines.

4. You'll need to clamp down the tubing to the airbox with a long tie-wrap, to prevent it from bowing out towards the motor and belt. I cut two holes in the airbox, and used one of the really long tie-wraps which come with the snorkel.

Doing this I went from rubbing on the AC compressor and belt, to clearing by well over 4 inches. 

Here is the Snorkel on the Jeep:

Tube routing per Instructions, from fender to inner-pocket

Tube routing per Instructions, from inner pocket, to engine bay:

My recommended routing once up in the Engine bay #1:

Same pic, different angle:

Airbox raised 1"

Reduced angle of new airbox input, showing tie-wrap location, and clearance from AC and Belt (it was previously leaning on the belt prior to the modifications.

Temporary location of vacuum box next to the PCM, until I find something better (it was in the fender "pocket" and had to be moved to route the tube):

Hope this will prove useful to someone else with a 2.5L someday....

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur ExtraordinaireŽ
Re: Considering a Safari Snorkel for your 2.5L??
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 01:42:38 PM »
I'm thinking of doing that mod myself after my Jeep has all of its surgery....another weird thing is that you have the same to Jeeps I do...even the wheels on the Commander (I had them swap out the bling chrome 6 spoke ones for the brushed ones).

2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

Crunch

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 02:19:20 PM »
Hey there, nice Jeeps :)  The sales guy talked me out of the bling rims (partly because the Black Limited I wanted didn't have them).  He pointed out that it's just painted on crap, and the brushed are better.

If/when you do the Snorkel, let me know if you had the same trouble with the intake tube routing, so we can slap ARB. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 02:21:36 PM by Crunch »

Crunch

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 05:47:21 PM »
Hi Everyone,
  I thought I registered here back in '06, but apparently I was signed in as a guest the entire time...ah well.  I posted this up on JeepForum, but thought you guys might want to see this.

If you're considering an ARB Safari Snorkel for your 2.5L TJ, and you have AC, please take note of this thread.

The part # is the same for the 4.0L as the 2.5L. No worries, you're getting what is available for the 4 cylinder.

Follow the instructions provided from ARB, except for the following:

The stock routing of the air tube from the snorkel to the airbox will not work without some modification if you have AC. The tubing will rub against the motor and the belt. You can make it work, you only need to do the following:

1. Cut the new inlet tube you attached to your airbox down 1.5", while lessening the angle it comes away from the airbox. Be sure to leave enough at the bottom of the inlet for the tubing to adequatly engage with the hose clamp.

2. Raise the airbox 1". I bought longer bolts (1/4 20, 2") with 1" worth of washers (use less washers and another nut to keep them from coming off when you remove the airbox in the future). This will allow you to better clear the belt.

3. Bring the tubing up from the fender, between the high pressure AC lines and the battery. Don't try to bring it directly to the airbox parallel to the lines.

4. You'll need to clamp down the tubing to the airbox with a long tie-wrap, to prevent it from bowing out towards the motor and belt. I cut two holes in the airbox, and used one of the really long tie-wraps which come with the snorkel.

Doing this I went from rubbing on the AC compressor and belt, to clearing by well over 4 inches. 

Here is the Snorkel on the Jeep:

Tube routing per Instructions, from fender to inner-pocket

Tube routing per Instructions, from inner pocket, to engine bay:

My recommended routing once up in the Engine bay #1:

Same pic, different angle:

Airbox raised 1"

Reduced angle of new airbox input, showing tie-wrap location, and clearance from AC and Belt (it was previously leaning on the belt prior to the modifications.

Temporary location of vacuum box next to the PCM, until I find something better (it was in the fender "pocket" and had to be moved to route the tube):

Hope this will prove useful to someone else with a 2.5L someday....

Just running through older posts, and found the URL to the pics was incorrect now (domain name changed some time ago).  Quoted and fixed in the quote since it wouldn't let me edit the original post.

blacknblue

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 01:19:29 PM »
Texas weather makes for beautifull rides.  Chicago weather...not so much.  Salt kills.  Next vehicle,  I'm going south!

alexr40

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 08:07:14 AM »
NO PICSSSSS! CRUNCH UPDATE THE LINKS PLEASE!!

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŽ
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 08:12:51 AM »
NO PICSSSSS! CRUNCH UPDATE THE LINKS PLEASE!!

don't think he's been around in a while
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

drunkencityworker

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 04:43:31 AM »
Texas weather makes for beautifull rides.  Chicago weather...not so much.  Salt kills.  Next vehicle,  I'm going south!
sorry to sidetrack. do I know you? Where in chicago are you from? I am south side. If you wana get tj dirty let me know