Author Topic: AX-5 shift lever install - help !  (Read 3807 times)

TN00TJ

AX-5 shift lever install - help !
« on: July 19, 2010, 05:50:11 PM »
Just going back together after a frame swap where, among other things, I had the transmission out and removed the shift lever from it. No further work other than cleaning and a "rattle can overhaul" to the transmission.

With the skid plate installed, set the transmission over in the skid plate, then wheeled the frame under the Jeep.

Then, my son re-installed the shift lever but now we have a problem:

1st and 3rd want to wind up in the ashtray or somewhere forward of where they're supposed to stop so, obviously, we've installed the lever incorrectly.

What did we do wrong and is there a trick to finding the "sweet spot"?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Torch_Ind

Re: AX-5 shift lever install - help !
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 08:27:45 PM »
Just going back together after a frame swap where, among other things, I had the transmission out and removed the shift lever from it. No further work other than cleaning and a "rattle can overhaul" to the transmission.

With the skid plate installed, set the transmission over in the skid plate, then wheeled the frame under the Jeep.

Then, my son re-installed the shift lever but now we have a problem:

1st and 3rd want to wind up in the ashtray or somewhere forward of where they're supposed to stop so, obviously, we've installed the lever incorrectly.

What did we do wrong and is there a trick to finding the "sweet spot"?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

did you get it 180 out other then that I don't think you can move it around that much.  mine was just 4 bolts on top holding it down.  does it actually shift ? only other thing I can say is maybe you got it in wrong.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 08:28:53 PM by Torch_Ind »

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 09:09:35 PM »
Probably 180º off.  Did he unbolt the shift tower or remove the shifter from inside the tower?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 10:57:31 PM »
x3
the plate that holds the shifter with 4 screws on top of the transmission is 180 deg off.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

TN00TJ

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 06:31:20 AM »
The transmission was not disassembled.  (Does nobody know what a "rattle can overhaul" is?  :smile:)

The plate was never taken off so...it's probably just in backwards though it really doesn't look like that.

Oh well, I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the ideas, Guys.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:31:55 AM by TN00TJ »

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 06:41:22 AM »
The transmission was not disassembled.  (Does nobody know what a "rattle can overhaul" is?  :smile:)

The plate was never taken off so...it's probably just in backwards though it really doesn't look like that.

Oh well, I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the ideas, Guys.

it can't be backwards, the bend in the lever would tell you that, that's why i was thinking that the plate could have been rotated.

the other thing could have happened is that there is a teflon or metal bushing/adapter on the ball at the end of the shifter where it goes inside the transmission and into the fork - if you lost that or somehow made it off the ballthen there will be quite a bit of more travel for 1st, 3rd and 5th towards the dash as well as 2nd and 4th towards the rear
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Dylan

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 09:33:27 AM »
You say you did a frame swap, is the new frame/skidplate combo the same as the old?  The tranny could be sitting at a slightly different angle or position versus the old setup.

TN00TJ

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 08:47:11 PM »
Well, Sharp, I agree about the bend in the lever and it LOOKs like it's installed correctly.

I have not had the top plate off nor have I done any monkeying around in that hole - matter of fact, it was taped up to keep trash out of it the whole time the transmission was on the floor.

And yes, I know the frame is a TJ frame because the VIN etched into it is TJ all the way - that plus the fact that I've made 10,000 comparisons between the two frams over the past 11 months if I've made one.

I hate the idea of pulling it out again to look for dislodged parts & pieces but I may have to do just that.

Whatever it turns out to be, I'll let ya'll know.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 08:48:56 PM by TN00TJ »

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 10:12:27 PM »
If you didn't have the top plate off, then you must have compressed the spring-loaded lock collar in order to remove the shifter.  It can be installed 180º, so I would check that first.

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 07:13:01 AM »
On my 94, If you loosen the bolts under the tcase they are in slots,
You get an amazing amount of movement front to rear. Wonder of the skid plates
on Tj's are this way as well? I usually have to put a pry bar in and pull the engine and
trans to the rear then tighten the bolts.

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

TN00TJ

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 07:00:19 PM »
If you didn't have the top plate off, then you must have compressed the spring-loaded lock collar in order to remove the shifter.  It can be installed 180º, so I would check that first.

You're correct - that's how I got it out and that's how Dave put it back in. (I would have done it myself but I was about have surgery on my shoulder two days later and was in no shape make the attempt.

I'm going to crawl up in there tomorrow evening and undo that collar to take the lever back out and see if I can see anything floating around in there. I may have to pull that top plate to get a better look.

Any cautionary notes before I do?

TN00TJ

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 07:02:42 PM »
On my 94, If you loosen the bolts under the tcase they are in slots,
You get an amazing amount of movement front to rear. Wonder of the skid plates
on Tj's are this way as well? I usually have to put a pry bar in and pull the engine and
trans to the rear then tighten the bolts.

Dave

Dave, the TJ has the same slots and that was one of the first things I checked. The amount of travel forward that it's making really couldn't be taken up by the length of the slots, however. At least, I don't think so.

Thanks for chipping in, though. :smile:

TN00TJ

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 07:05:35 PM »

Wait a minute...are you saying the collar can be installed 180 out?!?

I didn't even think of that - duh. (He said, in front of the whole Jeepin' world)

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 08:26:20 PM »
Wait a minute...are you saying the collar can be installed 180 out?!?

I didn't even think of that - duh. (He said, in front of the whole Jeepin' world)

I can't get my head around this one, would that offset the shifter? isn't that collar round?

Torch_Ind

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 10:35:04 AM »
I can't get my head around this one, would that offset the shifter? isn't that collar round?

the top of it is but it bolts the the trans with 4 bolts thats rectangle so you can bolt it on 180 out and have the shifter bent towards the dash in instead of bent towards the seats
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 10:35:59 AM by Torch_Ind »