Author Topic: Performance 2.5 FINALLY done!  (Read 24221 times)

YJmechanic

Performance 2.5 FINALLY done!
« on: September 03, 2005, 11:24:49 AM »
Anyone who has been here long enough may remember about a year ago asking tons of questions about engine options.  I took a year, because of time and money mostly, but it is finally done.  I tore down my 94 2.5 and started from scratch basically.  I bored the block 60, ran forged pistons, had clifford make me a custom cam, hydro lifters, double valvle springs, hardened push rods and valve locks, head was ported and polished, deck was shaved to get 10.5-1 compression, 10/10 crank,  all tri-metal bearings, borla header, poweraid tbs, high flow water and oil pumps, cromoly rings, sanded and shot-peened connecting rods, 8mm wires and blaster coil.  I think that is about when I ran out of money but the motor is incredible now.  It runs best in high rpm and runs to about 6500.  The only problem I have now is the tranny is having syncro problems, I think.  I have to tear it down but if you don't want to use force induction this is a good solution.  My milage is about 15-20 depending.  It has more power than my 4.0 does.

Spelo

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 08:20:47 AM »
Sweet!!!

This is something I've been thinking about for a couple years now, but I don't have much experience rebuilding engines.  Have you thought about doing an in depth write-up for us novices?

YJmechanic

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 06:28:30 PM »
I can if anybody wants me to, but it may be better broken down into specifics than a fifty page story of the entire build.  Also I can say that this is the most in-depth engine I have ever built and it only took service manuals, time and a few  questions to the apprpriate people.  Getting the custom parts made is the longest part of the process.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 09:36:43 AM »
Are you running a quality synthetic in the tranny like Redline MT90?  

Hope nobody is still running GL5 in the AX trannies :oops:

YJmechanic

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 02:43:53 PM »
It has mopar full synthetic 75-140 in it now.  I think I either have syncros or a problem with the spring linkage bar inside the tranny.  I will found out soon as I get some spare time.

wildman4x4nut

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 12:02:29 AM »
Well after hearing a report like that I wonder what I could get out of my 2.5 if I built it for a supercharger??

YJmechanic

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 06:16:59 PM »
You will probably get about the same output maybe more.  Just remember that you can't do the kind of build I did plus a supercharger.  The compressions is too high and a charger would blow the bottom end out.  I am trying to run the numbers to see if I can run a small amount of boost like only 5psi but it is still a game of chance that it'll be ok.

Sparky Watts

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 05:47:12 PM »
So, first off, how much did all that cost?

Next, does anyone know what the stock HP of a 2.5 is?

And finally, how much HP do you think you have out of it now?

YJmechanic

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 03:39:37 PM »
grand total i think i spent about $1500 total rebuilding and machining.  That's with me doing all the work.  You can't even buy a stock motor for close to that and the 4.0 swap would have cost even more.  The cost and the fact that I've never seen one of these built this much was my reason.  I think the stock horsepower is about 120hp and the last time I had mine checked at about 90,000miles, was down to about 100hp with normal wear.  Rough estimate I'd say I'm at about 200hp now.  Stock 4.0 are 190hp and mine feels much stronger than my 4.0 used to be or any of the new 4.0s on my lot.  So I'm just estimating on feel alone but I'd say safely about 200hp and I spent less than most of the other options I had.  I can run down all the ricky-racers in town with 33's, so I'm happy.

Sparky Watts

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 08:14:59 PM »
Dang, that's pretty cheap!!  You'd probably spend around $2500 for a rebuilt and $3500-$4000 for a crate motor, right?  Sure wish I had the know-how and space to do that sort of thing...... :cry:

jeepfourlow

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 09:08:23 PM »
Quote from: "Sparky Watts"
Dang, that's pretty cheap!!  You'd probably spend around $2500 for a rebuilt and $3500-$4000 for a crate motor, right?  Sure wish I had the know-how and space to do that sort of thing...... :cry:

psh same here....

wildman4x4nut

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 12:52:50 AM »
Quote from: "YJmechanic"
You will probably get about the same output maybe more.  Just remember that you can't do the kind of build I did plus a supercharger.  The compressions is too high and a charger would blow the bottom end out.  I am trying to run the numbers to see if I can run a small amount of boost like only 5psi but it is still a game of chance that it'll be ok.

Ya I am aware to the limitations of forced induction as to C/R and such. I have rebuilt a few engines before but right now am torn on building my 4popper or doing a V-8 swap.

jwrape

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005, 08:33:58 AM »
Hey Mechanic,
Can you give me a list of specific parts and where you bought them as well as all the work you did to build your 2.5L. I wanna build the same formula. I pm'd you but I guess you haven't checked it lately so I figure this would at least email you.
Any advise you can give would be appreciated.
I plan to get all the parts together as well as a donor block and build it before my 200k+ 2.5L goes. It's feeling funny from time to time so I want to go ahead and get building.

Thanks in advnace.

NiteDog

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 11:41:53 PM »
Yep,  the list and and a little write up would be nice. I got a 2.5 with 122K lookin for a little tweakin'.   :lol:

mike

jwrape

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2005, 05:32:15 AM »
Quote from: "NiteDog"
Yep,  the list and and a little write up would be nice. I got a 2.5 with 122K lookin for a little tweakin'.   :lol:

mike

I know what you are saying. Mine reads 171k miles but it's on 31x9.50's for the last 4 years so I am thinkin it's more like over 200k. The speed odemter is off by about 10 miles per hour. :shock: