Author Topic: 4.0 throttle body swap  (Read 2480 times)

RT

4.0 throttle body swap
« on: September 20, 2011, 01:12:11 PM »
What sensors do I keep from the 2.5. Which ones do I transfer over from the 4.0

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: 4.0 throttle body swap
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 01:24:34 PM »
The simple answer is all of them.  You will need to swap the IAS housing which has the 4 tamperproof torx holding it on.  You can reuse the TPS but it's probably better to just reuse your old one.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 01:28:19 PM »

you can transfer the TPS from the 2.5L but seems that they are the same between the 2, to be safe since you know yours is working I would do it anyway.

for the IAC (also known as AIS) you _need_ to use from the 2.5L both the plunger with the motor (sometimes referred to as the solenoid) and the housing that is bolted with 4 tamper proof bolts to the t/b - you should just take those 4 bolts out and transfer the whole thing over, but you'll need the proper torx bit with a hole in the center - they have a ton of thread lock on and are hard to take off, so make sure you don't strip the torx teeth off of it or you'll need to come up with some creative way to take them off afterwards.

if you have the MAP sensor on the t/b (TJ) then you can keep the 4.0L one if it's on there (it's the same as the 2.5L), but again this is if you know for sure it's good.\

EDIT: Jeffy beat me to it, so like ^ he said
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 01:29:09 PM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline MarkyB

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 08:50:02 AM »
I would recommend getting new sensors.  You do need to swap the IAC housing like mentioned. 
I wish I had went ahead gotten new sensors when I did the swap.  It would have saved me a lot of grief.
And it's a lot easier to install them while TB is out of the Jeep.

Torch_Ind

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 05:01:25 PM »
FAQ