Author Topic: Tire chain tensioners  (Read 2319 times)

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
Tire chain tensioners
« on: October 04, 2011, 03:31:23 PM »
Here's the deal: as some of you guys know, we use tire chains here in Costa Rica and Panama to deal with the mud.  At this time, I have my 4 chains, but the only way I have of tightening the chains are either using the chain tensioners or using rope to tie the chains up.  The down side with the regular chain tensioner is that you have to re-tighten them every couple of miles to keep the chains tight (not a fun operation when the tires are covered in mud) and also the fact that you are getting your hands dirty at the end of the run to remove them (at which point, they tend to have become hard as nails to turn).  Rope is a bit easier to take off (just pull out the knife and cut it), but also loosens up after running.

On my last trail run, i saw a guy from another club running a rubber tensioner (basically a big rubber band with some hooks).  He had no problems putting them on, and seems to have run without issues as well, so I figured I would get me a set as well.  But looking online, I have seen two versions:

This first one is very similar to what he had.  Here's how it looks like:

This is the cheaper alternative, but I worry that when you press ORDER, it has this leyend:  "RT-2 Truck/SUV Rubber Tensioners (32" tall tire and smaller), priced per pair".  As you can see from my sig, I have 33" tires, but I figure I can make it work regardless...

The other option I found is this one:

This one eems like it may pull a bit tighter in my opinion, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with either type...

Opinions are welcome!

Felipe
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline chardrc

Re: Tire chain tensioners
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 04:03:55 PM »
that blue contraption looks like a nice setup if its the right size for your tires. we end up using regular black rubber buggy cords like these http://www.aaatarps.com//i/invphotos/Bungee%201.jpg to make a makeshift one of those blue things. but then again last time we used the chains they came off twice and took out a brake line and reshaped the inner fender  :rage:.. (we only use chains on a trip that is taken every other year so our rigging experience is pretty low.)
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

reddogg

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 04:07:29 PM »
I use regular bungy cords with the hooks on the ends when using chains in the winter. Don't have a problem with them staying tight and they aren't hard to remove. These are cheap to buy so if you lose some no big deal and they serve other purposes as well.

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 05:50:26 PM »
Check this page

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Flatbed-Trailer-Products/Rubber-Tarp-Straps

These are really strong Bungee's and you can buy in Bulk.

Or Part #RRH-100 hook and RR38500 3/8 rubber and make your own.  This stuff I have used and its great.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline mrcabinet

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 09:36:03 AM »
All I ever used for years and years in Oregon for snow and mud were the plain old rubber bungee cords. We'd pick them up at the truck stations cheap and get a full season out of a set. They work great and are inexpensive - just what I like!
No matter where you're going, there you are.

Torch_Ind

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 04:29:57 PM »
I run studded winter tires :D