Author Topic: Marvels Mystery Oil  (Read 2974 times)

Offline Tr00b

Marvels Mystery Oil
« on: March 09, 2012, 11:11:33 PM »
So I did a bunch of work to my 1997 Jeep's 2.5 engine over the last two years. O2 sensors, cleaned the intake, throttle body and the passages, the IAC, new valve cover gasket, intake/exhaust mani gasket, new exhaust mani, new cat, and a bunch of work to the chassis, namely ball joints and front u-joints. Put new tires on it, and a new battery, which helped too. I had been looking to get rid of or replace the Jeep because of horrible power and fuel mileage, even after all the work. I liked the look of the 31's and the lil'-lift, but it was a total dog. Flat on its face, needed 3rd gear and 5k rpm to pull big hills and etc. Very disappointing.

So the other day I was in Wal Mart, I decided I needed to replace the 1gal jug of Lucas Oil injector cleaner that was used up with something cheaper. Got some Marvels Mystery Oil instead.

As I've run three 19gal tanks with 8oz or double the suggested dose poured in through my Jeep, I've regained about 20% of the lost power. I generally buy regular BP gasoline which is a quality gasoline, and use Seafoam and the Lucas Oil sporadically. Even if my Jeep just needed consistent use of any old injector cleaner... Marvels Mystery Oil is the only injector cleaner/gasoline I've ever had direct attributable results with.

IMO, its worth a shot, I am extremely happy with the results, which were unexpected, and is the only factor I can attribute to the boost in performance.

reddogg

Re: Marvels Mystery Oil
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 12:18:59 PM »
sounds like it's helping with leaky piston rings.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 02:25:30 PM »
sounds like it's helping with leaky piston rings.

i think he put it in the gas tank so i doubt has anything to do with the piston rings.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 05:01:52 PM »
The only thing I can think of is carbon build up an or gummed up injectors or both.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline Tr00b

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 09:58:01 PM »
Yes just dumping it in the tank.

Not sure what it is that it did, but it seemed to be that final little thing that made all the work I did to the 2.5 motor "come alive." Literally it kept me from trading it in on a 4.0 Wrangler!

It is possible there was alot of carbon built up in there from it being in such bad shape for such a long time. Maybe because of the leaking exhaust mani, I had some hard deposits on the exhaust valves that wouldn't allow a perfect seal that the MM Oil cleared up. But what is funny is that Seafoam and Lucas Oil Injector cleaner didn't touch it. At one point, last summer I poured a whole can of seafoam down the TB, saw NO results.   

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 01:48:55 AM »
Trivia,,, Marvel Mystery Oil originally went in the top end lube cup on the Marvel Carburators on early 1900 cars, tractors etc. Many old engines of the 1900 to 1925 era got steam form the radiator into the intake manifold to help them make more torque. Its a very high detergent lube supposedly including several plant oils. It will help decarbonize a engine that run too rich and its a good protector for the cylinder walls with all the crap alcohol fuel we are getting does not corrode the engine...

I used to drive a OLD tractor that had the marvel carb and the steam injection... KInda fun...

Cheers.
Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 07:34:58 PM »
Trivia,,, Marvel Mystery Oil originally went in the top end lube cup on the Marvel Carburators on early 1900 cars, tractors etc. Many old engines of the 1900 to 1925 era got steam form the radiator into the intake manifold to help them make more torque. Its a very high detergent lube supposedly including several plant oils. It will help decarbonize a engine that run too rich and its a good protector for the cylinder walls with all the crap alcohol fuel we are getting does not corrode the engine...

I used to drive a OLD tractor that had the marvel carb and the steam injection... KInda fun...

Cheers.
Dave

Got an MGB GT that still uses that stuff, My MGB did till I changed out the carb.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 07:44:48 PM »
Got an MGB GT that still uses that stuff, My MGB did till I changed out the carb.

lot of cars back in the day did, i've seen Jaguar and Saab with Stromberg (if i remember correctly) carbs having it but to be honest i never knew there was a special oil for it :lol:
i think BMW 2002 also had a pair of these on but that's all i can remember, it's been a while...
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 01:58:38 PM »
The zenith and strombergs originally used 30wt in the slide system, but everybody figured out that a nice thin oil in there made them pop open way faster which equaled way better response, in a MGB race car I used to work on we used baby oil. On the slide/diaphram carbs it does not lose much oil, where the old Marvels used a pint a day or so on the tractor...on purpose... :)

Carbs are rapidly going away,, heck I can buy EFI for less than some carbs now.... Have you seen the price of a brand new quadrajet now? YIKES>>>

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline Tr00b

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 09:24:26 PM »
Im on the 4th tank with the MM oil in the gas. Seems to continue to have strong performance, and I've jumped up mpg for sure (can't tell how much, have wrong speedo gear). More speculation is that the MM oil lubricated the injectors, which were fouled by super-dry ethanol gasoline.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:25:16 PM by Tr00b »

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 11:16:22 PM »
More speculation is that the MM oil lubricated the injectors, which were fouled by super-dry ethanol gasoline.
???

Offline Tr00b

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 05:42:41 PM »
Haha. My dad hates ethanol gas, and thats what he thought. :uhoh: Again, I feel stupid for thinking snake oil stuff works, but... Dude. It worked.

Anyway, I think I've gotten all of the performance gain I'm going to get, brought me out of the pooper and into an acceptable range of performance. IMO, its worth a shot if you've tried everything else...

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 09:36:06 PM »
i'm not doubting it helped, just that dry ethanol injector thing was a bit of a stretch

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 01:05:43 PM »
Ethanol attracts water, and sometimes will carry it to the injection and foul the pintles. the MMO lubes the injector pintles would be my guess.

Ethanol is a crock of sh** it takes as much or more fuel to make it and drops average mileage ,,, gee why would the oil companies like this idea? And they are the main supporters of it...

Arg.

Dave

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 01:11:34 PM »
Ethanol attracts water, and sometimes will carry it to the injection and foul the pintles.

that's a good thing, right? rather than have it on the bottom of the tank or in the filter and freeze