Author Topic: I went to the dark side  (Read 10328 times)

Offline chardrc

Re: I went to the dark side
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 03:50:01 PM »
it is one of the wierdest feelings to see your jeep for sale.. he sure did use some wierd wording. i even write up all the mods on the jeep and he still messed around with it. like the Jensen rear speakers that last I saw were pioneer speakers and worked just fine. and throwout bearings... lol if it wasn't for that damn clutch throwout bearing I would have had a lot less frustration at the yj.

edit: and the soft top itself may need "some work" but the windshield frame needs a lot of work to allow the softop to attach to it little would anyone expect after the frame was painted to hide the rust weeping through. Its now on his website "No rust" if that was true I wouldn't have sold it (well would have been a lot less likely). It is the same windshield frame as you can see the chip in the windshield in 1 of the pics on his website....

http://reallynicecarsmn.com/1990_Jeep_Wrangler_Eden%20Prairie_MN_154230422.veh
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 04:03:33 PM by chardrc »
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 04:05:41 PM »
Well, now we know how much they fudge the descriptions.  For example, the seller says  "no rust". 
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 BFG MTs, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 08:55:33 AM »
Good upgrade! It's gonna ride a lot better than the YJ. By the way, I've been reading a bunch about the JKs having dash fire issues. Should prob  check to make sure all the recalls have been done. The t-case skid seems to also be an issue. I read about them trapping leaves and twigs and then catching fire. Youtube has a bunch of JK fire videos. Just something you should be aware of and prob should look into. Can't wait to see the upgrades you'll end up doing to it!
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline chardrc

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 10:38:06 AM »
Haven't heard about dash fires but I have heard the tcase skid firs. I think that was mainly for auto trans jks I think. The skids look aton smaller than on the yj as far as protection and being able to trap stuff.. will have to look into the dash fires.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 02:35:31 PM »
seen a JK Rubi at the wreckers with a burned dash and everything around it, didn't know it was a JK issue, thought it was just some problem with that one
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline chardrc

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 04:21:31 PM »
seen a JK Rubi at the wreckers with a burned dash and everything around it, didn't know it was a JK issue, thought it was just some problem with that one

stopped at the dealers place and saw the yj again. looks nice with the bedliner. he did the inside, rockrails, rear cross member and bumperets and tire career. he also repainted the top and painted over the rusty windshield frame. looks nice but i doubt the painted areas will last long knowing whats underneath it.. he thought it had an engine swap because "jeeps didn't have fuel injection until 1991" :roflol: had to set him straight on that one and that its normal for it to rev up and slowly go down to idle on start up because of how the tbi system works.  After seeing my jeep he now wants tj fender-flares and moab wheels for his yj  :pirate:

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 02:12:17 AM »
There are quite a few of them apparently. There was also an article about the fuse box (i think) allowing water to enter and causing fires that way. If you check youtube, there are quite a few JK fire videos.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline chardrc

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 06:43:12 PM »
where are you guys reading about the jk dash fires? I haven't been able to find anything about dash fires... just alot about the auto trans boil over / trapped leaves fires.

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 05:03:31 AM »
where are you guys reading about the jk dash fires? I haven't been able to find anything about dash fires... just alot about the auto trans boil over / trapped leaves fires.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/investigations/Jeep-Investigation-147268385.html
that's one article

and a few others:
http://jalopnik.com/5898058/exclusive-nhtsa-to-launch-jeep-wrangler-fire-investigation

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/feds-investigating-jeep-wrangler-jk-fire-risk-839221/

http://jalopnik.com/5894966/did-jeep-offer-an-owner-hush-money-to-keep-quiet-about-fire-risk that one has CONSPIRACY all over it....spicy!!   :pot:

anyway, give them a read, and look over your JK and make sure you're in the clear. Just wanted to make sure you had a heads up about it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 05:08:37 AM by stan98tj »

Offline chardrc

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 02:39:53 PM »
first one was new to me. took a look at the fues box and as stated its not waterproof. but it is the highest up thing in the engine compartment. unless you are doing some serious water crossings and hitting them fast enough to splash water everywhere it should be ok. by the time that would get wet your air box would be filled and you would have other issues to contend with... on the topic of electrical boxes I got a Spod system for the jk with 6 rocker switched at the top of the windshield with a under-hood relay / fuse box for powering accessories. takes its power directly from the battery so doesn't overload the stock wiring system..  I have some LED lighting coming to make use of the fancy electronics.

The other links i had found before only really applies to automatic transmissions.

thanks for the heads up anyways. keeps me aware and our other jk is a auto so will have to keep an eye on it for debris. collecting on the skid plate.

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline chardrc

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 05:44:48 PM »
well the new jeep survived Moab (will upload pics in another thread soon) gotta say the 4:1 low range is realy nice. although i mist say the red rubi has less ground clearance than the yj. I stumbled across these pics of the yj when i got it and figured i would post for reference of where my first jeep started and where my second jeep started.

I checked the website and my yj is still for sale. apparently his tacktics of clamming no rust aren't fooling everyone

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 08:26:15 PM »
Yeah, but those JK's have a pretty flat underside unlike the YJ.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 08:10:17 AM »
The JK Rubicons are higher but some stock JKs seem to have a belly height of only about 8 inches  :yikes:
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 BFG MTs, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2012, 10:43:49 AM »
The JK Rubicons are higher but some stock JKs seem to have a belly height of only about 8 inches  :yikes:
Less belly clearance then the axles?
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2012, 10:50:02 AM »
Evidently, in an article in 4wd and SU magazine, they published a 4" lift install and stated that the belly clearance had increased to 12" before installing the bigger tires.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 10:52:25 AM by neale_rs »