Author Topic: Fram Sure Drain  (Read 6487 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Fram Sure Drain
« on: March 21, 2006, 05:54:19 PM »
The Delema

If you're like me you change the oil in your Jeep once or twice a year.  Typically this falls on a day's that's too nice to sit in the garage or too cold to sit in the garage.  Having to get out the old oil encrusted pan and climb under the Jeep isn't high on the fun list.

The Sales Pitch

Fram, the guy's in orange have come to save the day.  Well, sort of. You will still have to tend the Jeep but it will keep you and your oil pan clean.  Fram the makers of many air and oil filters have come up with a product that simplifies the whole process.  Basically, there are two parts.  One is a spring loaded valve that replaces the stock oil plug.  The other part is a hose that screws onto the plug and opens the valve.  That's about it.

How Does it Work?

Scren in the hose and a tab presses up on the valve inside the new oil plug which releases the oil.  There is no need for tools!  When you're done, unscrew the hose and the valve will close.  To keep the valve clean, there is a cap.

The Hitch

There are a a few things to think about.  One is the oil plug sticks out 3/4" rather then 1/2".  The other hitch is that the flow of oil can be slow.  How slow?  You can probably go inside and make a sandwich, plate it, eat it then proceed to extricate it.  But the time you're done it should be as well.  

The Sunny Side

So why use this then?  Well, again, no tools!  How cool is that?  Ok, not very.  But because there is a hose, you can drain the oil directly into containers.  If they're small, that's ok. Use some vice-grips and pinch off the hose and swap containers.  It's as simple as that.

The Jeep 'Wang' TM

And...

Ok, so what about the oil filter?  Well that will still require a wrench.  A funnel will allow you to drain the filter into the same conatiners as the case oil.  So, it comes down to this, would I but it again?  Yes.  Well, maybe.  It seems that Fram isn't selling them anymore.  At least they are represented on their website.  In any case, it's a great idea.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

tjsean0308

Re: Fram Sure Drain
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 10:38:24 AM »
I have seen these on the JCB compact wheel loaders and some other tractors with restricted access to the drain plugs.  I will agree that with cold oil the flow is quite slow. I usually try to drain my oil with the oil warmish anyways, that would usually speed it up pretty good with the diesel oils anyways.  But I would get one for my rig if I saw it next to the filter wrenches at the parts store.

Offline aka-justin

Re: Fram Sure Drain
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 08:51:37 PM »
I usually only need one wrench to change my oil.  Unless my plug was botched, I doubt I would get one.  Nice write up though!
[1995 YJ 2.5L with 4" lift on 31" KM2 - Sold] 1995yj
[2003 TJ Rubicon 4.0L with 4" lift on 35" Wrangler M/T - Sold]
To be continued...
--Justin