Author Topic: The last time you wheeled? Did you buy it to wheel or drive it?  (Read 3771 times)

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
The last time you wheeled? Did you buy it to wheel or drive it?
« on: October 23, 2014, 09:26:35 PM »
I got a couple trips in these past few months after a pretty uneventful last year. Heading back out this sat.
So what about you guys? When was the last time you wheeled your rigs? What's keeping them off the trail? Or, if wheeling isn't your thing, are you still getting the enjoyment out of your jeep that you hoped you would?
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
Re: The last time you wheeled? Did you buy it to wheel or drive it?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 09:59:52 PM »
I've always enjoyed driving mine as a daily driver... especially with the nice stereo, seats and tires.  No time to wheel since I switched jobs a couple of years ago outside of a few two tracking runs with my club.   :'(
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 10:38:13 AM »
Drive but live out in the country so driving a jeep at times is the only way to get around.  Just getting out of my drive can be a challenge with snow.  Rain and mud also.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline jagular7

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 09:23:03 PM »
I have a 97 auto that I wheel 2-3 times a month. Last time out was the 18th weekend. Had a chance for the 25th weekend, but cashflow was dwindling.

I have a 94 5-sp I use as a dd. I've got 'stuff' to make it more applicable for times of wheeling and street.

Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

Offline Mnkyboy

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 09:45:26 PM »
I bought my MJ to drive but it's evolved into a wheeler that can still be occasionally driven.
It's been out of commission for a while though for some new mods.

I also have an XJ with a small lift and 31s that I drive more often, but having a company truck I don't have much use for a daily driver anymore.

1989 MJ short bobbed 16\".
2.5l MPI conversion,bored 0.060 over, Mopar Purple cam, inertia ring,ported 4.0l TB, Bosch yellow tops, adjustable MAP, ported intake, ported poweraid TB spacer, header, and Flow Kooler,4.0l radiator and dual electric fans.

Ford 3/4 ton HP D44/D60, 5.38s, l

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 12:01:44 AM »
Well, mine is a DD now.  I've slowly devolved it so it's more street worthy.  Went from 35's to 33's, added A/C...  I'm planning on dropping teh 1.25" body lift.  Though it's still pretty tall.  I haven't wheeled it in several year but I've taken it on a few long road trips.  Trying to stay off the Interstate.

I've still got some idea on what I want to do with it and have plans for more mods.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 09:23:55 PM »
Wheeled the NOVA chairman's property on Saturday. Brutalized my jeep. The week+ rain we've had plus all the wet leaves on the ground made for real poor traction in the rocks. Looks like I'll need a new tom woods front drive shaft.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 04:39:46 PM »
After more than two years of nothing more than mild two tracking, it is officially up for sale.... :'(

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 07:34:56 PM »
After more than two years of nothing more than mild two tracking, it is officially up for sale.... :'(
That's one of the problems when building a Jeep up too much.  I've seen it happen many times over with friends.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 08:09:22 PM »
That's one of the problems when building a Jeep up too much.  I've seen it happen many times over with friends.

I'm okay with it...time for a change...no regrets.  Just wish I had the room to keep it.

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 09:24:34 PM »
I was talkin to a buddy of mine who gave me his reason for not running tons...he's seen every one of his friends who swapped in tons part out and sell their jeeps within two years of the upgrade. Looks like you fit the billet, Moz. Although i have to say, 2 years of daily driving on tons and barely wheeling is some serious mall-crawling.... :wall:

Offline VA_YJ

• Now I need a CJ...
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 11:13:19 AM »
My 4 banger YJ is used mostly for street with some light trail and NC beach crawling.  I'm building a TJ 6 cylinder with Clayton long arms, atlas, 35s for more serious trail use, and I am going with Ford 8.8 (Super88) in the rear and high pinion D44 in the front.  I have some 1 ton axles (Sterling 10.5 rear and HP D60 front), but I'm trying real hard not to turn the TJ into a trailer queen.  It would likely sit around quite a bit more if I did the tons, plus I'd want to get 37s+ and run full width axles (wider trailer required or change tires alot) and then I'd want a v8.  Stan's comments make me think I'm going in the right direction.  I am in the process of moving the rear axle back about 4" on the TJ, but the project stalled out when my fabrication buddy had 2 unplanned kids. I gave him too much beer after welding and his wife took advantage of him... I promise to get back on the TJ project!
95 YJ, 31 BFG ATs, 4.0 TB & spacer, Banks header, DynoMax CAT back, 19# inj, AEM CAI, 20 gal mod, Optima yellow
98 TJ, 35 BFG Krawlers, 4.0 liter, ax15, atlas 5:1, armor, Super 88 (under construction)
96 XJ Cheep Cherokee, 33s, 4.0 liter, AW4, future project
89 Waggy, 360 V8 727 dana 44s, it runs

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 05:52:48 PM »

Now I am in the same boat...  After 2 years back in Panama, I have only used it to go to some land my wife bought.  Nothing that any other 4X4 could not do...  So, it is also up for sale!  I wish I could keep it, but to be honest, I need the cash for other projects at this time.
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 01:29:59 PM »
My latest upgrades (lights, seats, tires were needed) were more for my daily commute comfort and so it looked nice anyway.

The more serious upgrades were done years ago when I actually wheeled.  Oh well...somebody will buy it and use it...hopefully.

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 09:44:49 PM »
Nothing wrong with DD ing and 1 ton axles, drive my big Jeep on the street to local trails and every so often use it to drive to work, Jeep drives nice on 37's could use a bit more power but other than that love driving it
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE