Author Topic: Tire discussion- what do you guys run/suggest  (Read 4848 times)

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
Re: Tire discussion- what do you guys run/suggest
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 05:25:34 AM »
Buckshot's are old school tires.  Hence the antiquated tire size.

I don't think you'll save any weight and on the contrary might be packing on more weight with bias ply tires.  Those Toyo's are heavy though!  Site says 69lbs.  For comparison a KM2 is 67 lbs as a 35x12.5R15.

Honestly, if you can afford, it, I'd get two sets of tires.  One set of TSL's and one set of AT's for street.
Yes, the toyos are quite heavy. I saw mine listed at over 70lb in size 33. KM2 i saw listed around 60lb for 35s. At any rate, I feel like this will be between KM2 and MTR
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline big_bob

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 09:44:44 AM »
Buckshot's are old school tires.  Hence the antiquated tire size.

I don't think you'll save any weight and on the contrary might be packing on more weight with bias ply tires.  Those Toyo's are heavy though!  Site says 69lbs.  For comparison a KM2 is 67 lbs as a 35x12.5R15.

Honestly, if you can afford, it, I'd get two sets of tires.  One set of TSL's and one set of AT's for street.
i ask about the weight comparing the n78 to a bfg km2 in a 31/10.50/15 and the guys at ntwonline.com said that they are 5# LESS and i also ask about the p78 compared to the bfg 33/10.50/15 and he said they were 6# LESS i was pretty surprised at his answers. and was pretty skeptical then when i got the tires/wheels and started changing them they are lighter then the master craft tires on 15-10 alum. wheels that was on it. you can tell it just by holding them. mine are mounted on 15-7 wheels so I'm sure that helps make them a little lighter.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 03:32:21 PM »
Yes, the toyos are quite heavy. I saw mine listed at over 70lb in size 33. KM2 i saw listed around 60lb for 35s. At any rate, I feel like this will be between KM2 and MTR
Those are the two main brands that just about everyone goes to if the have to drive on road a lot but still want an offroad tire.  I'm pretty happy with my KM2's.  I hear they are coming out with a 34x10.5R17 soon.  I might move up to that eventually.

i ask about the weight comparing the n78 to a bfg km2 in a 31/10.50/15 and the guys at ntwonline.com said that they are 5# LESS and i also ask about the p78 compared to the bfg 33/10.50/15 and he said they were 6# LESS i was pretty surprised at his answers. and was pretty skeptical then when i got the tires/wheels and started changing them they are lighter then the master craft tires on 15-10 alum. wheels that was on it. you can tell it just by holding them. mine are mounted on 15-7 wheels so I'm sure that helps make them a little lighter.
They must have thinner sidewalls unlike the Interco's.  Interco's have 6-Ply, IIRC.  Though you're comparing a 31x9.5-15 with a 31x10.5R15 which does make a difference.  The KM2's are kind of heavy since they have thick sidewalls though.  Yeah, going from 15-10 to 15-7 will drop a few pounds of unsprung weight.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 01:20:25 AM »
Those are the two main brands that just about everyone goes to if the have to drive on road a lot but still want an offroad tire.  I'm pretty happy with my KM2's.  I hear they are coming out with a 34x10.5R17 soon.  I might move up to that eventually.
They must have thinner sidewalls unlike the Interco's.  Interco's have 6-Ply, IIRC.  Though you're comparing a 31x9.5-15 with a 31x10.5R15 which does make a difference.  The KM2's are kind of heavy since they have thick sidewalls though.  Yeah, going from 15-10 to 15-7 will drop a few pounds of unsprung weight.
Seriously though, if I had a more powerful motor, I'd go with Toyo again. They were amazing tires. I've had this set since 2010 and still plenty of tread, great on and off road, great in the rain and snow. Fantastic overall. I just rather not push 75+lb tires
So km2 or mtr it is I guess.
I think the mtr has a tougher sidewall. Km2 looks like it has a better tread pattern for wheeling
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 12:50:51 PM »
Seriously though, if I had a more powerful motor, I'd go with Toyo again. They were amazing tires. I've had this set since 2010 and still plenty of tread, great on and off road, great in the rain and snow. Fantastic overall. I just rather not push 75+lb tires
So km2 or mtr it is I guess.
I think the mtr has a tougher sidewall. Km2 looks like it has a better tread pattern for wheeling
The only problem I have with MTR Kevlars is that they look directional but they aren't.  The KM2's have a pretty thick sidewall.  I never checked against my MTR but those were thick too.  The KM2 was created to be better then the MTR as the MTR took over the crawling world for a few years.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline jagular7

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2015, 08:38:31 AM »
MTRs are basically mounted one way on the rim...haven't seen them rotated backwards on the rim like those would do with MT tires....I've rotated my last KM2 set due to the rounding of the outer edges. Wheeled another year. Then sold set of 4 for cost of 2.5 new.

I've been running 35-12.5-15 KM2s for years. I'm on my second set. My TJ was a driver, wheeler, driver, but getting old myself, I prefer to arrive wide awake and wheel. So I use a trailer.
With my type of Midwest wheeling, I've only experience 1 sidewall slice (6" long) from a cut root. I've experience 1 puncture (2 Locus tree needles which took 3 plugs in the sidewall and held for 3 more years!). I've been known to wheel on my sidewalls and rims too.

2 vids on V-notch over various years...
http://youtu.be/XD6Q-tBnhgk
http://youtu.be/iHq_GhfRwNA

Yah, my rim's outer edge is no longer perfectly completely 'round'.
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s