Author Topic: Fury Road  (Read 1692 times)

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
Fury Road
« on: May 16, 2015, 10:44:48 PM »
Saw Mad Max: Fury Road at a late show on Thursday at the Arclight in Hollywood.  Was in 3D with great audio.  Thought the film was overall pretty great (not sure if I'd like it quite as well in 2D, though).  

Had a brief truck rock climb scene where the bad guy drives his rig over a collapsed rock terrace.  Also some 18 wheeler winching going on.  

Small realism beefs though -- grabbing exhausts and and engines while their respective vehicles were running looked silly.  Same for Theron trying to push her 18-wheeler out of the sand.

But great "visual-feast"-type film if seen in 3D, I thought.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 10:46:57 PM by chrisfranklin »
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline neale_rs

Re: Fury Road
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 09:28:31 AM »
Sounds good, I'll try to see it soon!
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 BFG MTs, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 09:22:37 PM »
I saw the movie.  I've seen Mad Max as well as Road Warrior.  I don't care for 3D overall and so I saw it in 2D.  If you like the series then you'll probably like Fury Road.  There are a lot of nods back to MM and RW although this is not a remake nor a sequel.  Think of it as a modern version of the "Man with No Name".  Not much dialog.

The rockcrawling scene was pretty over the top.  The monster truck had shaved Terra Gator tires so it wasn't climbing much anytime soon.

Grabbing the exhaust isn't a big deal.  That's why there's a heat shield around them.  Big rigs with stacks have them.  My only complaint was when Furiosa was knocking out the dust in the air box and snorkel when the engine had twin butterfly scoops on the fake superchargers.  But then I don't mind since Max's car has the fake supercharger still but is super cool.

Pushing the truck was more of a metaphor then actually pushing the truck.

I'll be getting it on BluRay.  I love the series.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 03:31:13 AM »
The exhaust grabbing scene I had in mind was the one where Rosie H-W grabs a portion of the truck exhaust with heat wrap on it (no shield) with the truck depicted as in-motion (so engine running).    She was making her way back to the cab.   

And then there's the scene at the end where the big guy is standing on the 18-wheeler hood and rips out one of its blowers while the bald kid is driving.    :eek:  And he didn't lose any skin ...

Was impressed with the nitrous vs.  water injection scene--   one guy sitting on the hood hand-spraying nitrous in the blower, another on a the other truck spitting water in to his lol     
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 04:53:38 PM »
Well, the other thing is I'm not sure if that's even the trucks exhaust.  The War Pig is actually a Tatra T815.  It usually has one small stack behind the cab.  I think the rerouted the exhaust so actors can run around on the tank and between the cab and trailer without getting smoked out.  Kinds like the whole air filter situation I mentioned earlier.

In the world of Fury Road though, if the wrap is done right it should be holding in the heat.  Here's the scene you're talking about where she's hugging the pipes.  I'm not sure if I'd be hugging the pipe but then why are there 4 models in this post apocalyptic world to begin with?   :lol:

https://youtu.be/UvlIFVgdn1Q?t=2m19s
I think both were spraying water or methyl/alcohol into the engines.  Which would make more sense since the air temp would probably be pretty high in the post apocalyptic world, aka Namibia.

From what I've heard George Miller is all about practical effects and working objects.  Supposedly most of the superchargers were working.  They had several go down over the filming.  Minus the fake ones of course.  War Pig's where fake.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 05:03:03 PM by Jeffy »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 07:11:07 PM »
"why are there 4 models in this post apocalyptic world to begin with?" 

Cause they got longer legs and can reach the pickle jars that the little guys can't get to, I guess  :lol: