Author Topic: flushing out a spare transmission with foreign debris inside?  (Read 745 times)

Offline Bigboi

so i replaced my transmission a while ago because the bellhousing was cracked and would require me to drop it entirely anyways, so i kept my old transmission, it WAS in a dry area, but then got rained on a few times, i was just thinking of standing it all the way straight up, with the Driveshaft end pointing down, and spray gasoline or carb cleaner down the shifter opening and let it drain out the end

i blew out my AX-15 doing 90mph LOL

Offline VA_YJ

• Now I need a CJ...
Re: flushing out a spare transmission with foreign debris inside?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 03:17:43 PM »
Get 5 gallon bucket and put about 3 1/2 gallons of diesel fuel in it.  Remove the two aluminum case halves.  This will leave the center plate (steel) and the gears/shafts and the cases.  Soak in diesel, for a day or so, then flip the assembly.  Diesel is high detergent and will not cause rust.  And it's easily available and not explosive.  You could try this without removing the covers, but I like to look for loose snap rings, chipped gears and other potential problems before going through the effort of a tranny install.
95 YJ, 31 BFG ATs, 4.0 TB & spacer, Banks header, DynoMax CAT back, 19# inj, AEM CAI, 20 gal mod, Optima yellow
98 TJ, 35 BFG Krawlers, 4.0 liter, ax15, atlas 5:1, armor, Super 88 (under construction)
96 XJ Cheep Cherokee, 33s, 4.0 liter, AW4, future project
89 Waggy, 360 V8 727 dana 44s, it runs