Author Topic: Broken down...  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Broken down...
« on: May 02, 2016, 10:14:05 PM »
So I was driving the Jeep around town doing some errands and at the second stop the Jeep wouldn't start.  It wouldn't even tick over.  When the key was turned I'd get a click and then no power.  Now for a few years, okay several...  I had a problem with the battery only reading around 11.3-4v.  I thought it might be my gauge since they are notoriously cheap.  Well, it turns out it actually works.  So for the past 4 years I've been driving around with a battery that reads 11.3-4v.  I never noticed it since the Jeep starts up fine.  I think it probably has more to do with the 800CCA then then weak voltage.

Well the battery gave up the ghost.  If I put it under a load the battery drops to about 7.5v and will sit there till it cools off.  Then it jumps back to 11.3-4v after a minute.  So after spending about 10 minutes thinking about it, I tried flagging down the local police and see if they could give me a jump start.  Though now that I've tested it under a few different situations, I'm not sure if that would have helped any.  The officer apologized and couldn't do it anyway.  I know their charging system's are taxed as it is and he didn't have a battery booster.

So after about 15 minutes I started to roll the Jeep out of the parking spot.  Problem was this was an underground lot that was very flat.  Not to mention at a popular department store so where were people going in and out all the time.  Took me a few minutes to get it backed out then turned so it was pointed out the exit.  I was pooped though.  It's a PITA pushing a Jeep across a lot with cars and people staring.

As I was resting a passerby started to push and said 'where to?'  I told him if I can get it rolling, I can start it.  We pushed it maybe 20 ft where there's a slight slope and I jumped in and popped the clutch.  I've done this several times before and the Jeep is the easiest thing to push-start.  I thanked him and we parted ways.

The Jeep drive fine all the way home.  Got home and tried to start it, no go.  I knew for sure jumping it wouldn't have helped.  The alternator should have charged it but it hadden't.  I put a digital charger on it overnight and it made no difference.  I even tried putting a load on it with my winch since that would eliminate the Jeep as a while from being the problem.  Same thing.  It stopped as soon as the solenoid clicked.  (Some suggested it might be teh starter but that can't be since it stopped dead when I used the winch.)

So, my Optima was from January 1998 and died in April 2016.  That's a pretty good run.  So now I'm on the look out for a new battery.  Turns out Sears discontinued the Platinum series that was made by Odyssey Batteries.  What a bummer.  The next highest line is the Die-Hard Gold which is made by Deka.  Some people are really liking these.  Though it can't compare to the Odyssey.

I liiked at Interstate since they have a AGM battery as well as Braile, Deka, Excide, X2 and a few others.  I was shying away from optima since they had the bad run when they switched to the Mexico factory but I haven't heard of any issues from them since then.  Also, I didn't want to get a battery where I had to rewire all of my acessories because there weren't any secondary posts.  When I bought my Optima 800U they were selling for $99.  $119 when not on sale.  Because I've drained my battery half a dozen times I decided I wanted a deep-cycle.  So I ended up ordering a Blue-Top.  I think I got a pretty good deal on it and since I can't drive anywhere it's getting delivered by Amazon in 2 days.

So yeah, not much other then maintenance work.  Oh and I think I've stopped the leaks but my dash is all buy gone so I've going to have to take it all apart again then seal it up with the dash in place.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline neale_rs

Re: Broken down...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 08:36:39 AM »
Wow, it sure lasted a long time!
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 BFG MTs, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 05:41:11 PM »
Wow, it sure lasted a long time!
I'm pretty sure Optima has one in their collection that is from the 80's.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline VA_YJ

• Now I need a CJ...
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 07:36:59 PM »
I had bad luck with the Platinum AGM batteries at Sears.  Went through 2 of them on my wife's 4 Runner in 5 years.  They did have a great warranty - got free replacement and had enough pro-rated left to get a "gold" for only a few dollars.
95 YJ, 31 BFG ATs, 4.0 TB & spacer, Banks header, DynoMax CAT back, 19# inj, AEM CAI, 20 gal mod, Optima yellow
98 TJ, 35 BFG Krawlers, 4.0 liter, ax15, atlas 5:1, armor, Super 88 (under construction)
96 XJ Cheep Cherokee, 33s, 4.0 liter, AW4, future project
89 Waggy, 360 V8 727 dana 44s, it runs

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 08:43:34 PM »
I had bad luck with the Platinum AGM batteries at Sears.  Went through 2 of them on my wife's 4 Runner in 5 years.  They did have a great warranty - got free replacement and had enough pro-rated left to get a "gold" for only a few dollars.
The Gold is made by Deka which is slowly getting more popular.  Deka is made in the US with some imported parts from what I read.

I'm disappointed that Sears no longer uses Odyssey though.  I'm hopeful that I'll get some good use out of the Optima.  6 years was the warranty for my old one.  So I was able to get another 12 years out of it.  I think living where it doesn't get sub zero helps a lot though.  I'm sure the last time my battery didn't help it any.  I left the ignition on for a week.  Actually, it's not entirely my fault since I can pull the key out at any time and the ignition doesn't have to be off.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 08:25:51 AM »
my first optima lasted almost 10 years with many drain to nothing incidents, got a new one and had to replace it under warranty after 1-1/2 years, got another one and ended up with a bad cell after another year, Walmart gave me a full refund at that point and I am running a lead-acid one now but I would really like a gel based one if I can find something that lasts...
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 12:37:52 PM »
my first optima lasted almost 10 years with many drain to nothing incidents, got a new one and had to replace it under warranty after 1-1/2 years, got another one and ended up with a bad cell after another year, Walmart gave me a full refund at that point and I am running a lead-acid one now but I would really like a gel based one if I can find something that lasts...
Well, anything over 6 years is great.  Like I mentioned Optima had some issues when they opened the new factory down in Mexico.  There's Deka, X2, Excide, Interstate, Odyssey and a few others...  I've had my battery drain a few times as well which is why I went with a Deep-cycle this time.  I'd probably consider Deka/Diehard Gold, Excide and Interstate since they are going to be easier to find locally.  Some of the other batteries are nice but they are pretty obscure and availability is nonexistant.  Customer Service might also be as well.

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 02:32:08 PM »
I bought my Optima Yellow Top in 2009...  Still going strong!  And I have drained it twice now (had to tie in another battery so that it would charge with the charger).
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost