Author Topic: Aw4 rebuilding  (Read 1773 times)

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
Aw4 rebuilding
« on: June 08, 2008, 07:23:02 AM »
After the latest transmission failure, I decided it was time to break down and actually rebuild one completely.   I've rebuilt a few TH400's and TH350's in the past, AW4 isn't too bad, but definitly more complicated.  Found a few things in this one.  The "rebuilt" pump I bought seems to have lost a chunk off the section where the impeller rides.  This may have been the cause of this failure - I found little grains of cast in the section of the tranny that had the burnt up clutches.

Taken apart

Pump with chunk missing from casting

A lot of the clutches were burnt up

Mostly back together

Todays task - valve body rebuild
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
Re: Aw4 rebuilding
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 02:32:33 PM »
Ugg, back hurts from working off a midget table rebuilding the valve body.  Always take lots of pictures in case I forget where something goes and the manual doesn't give enough detail.  Now it's just waiting for the pump and the bellhousing and tcase adapter from the one in the jeep

Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck

www.oldjeep.com

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 06:32:48 PM »
Looking good, what works well is fold card board like a harmonica so you can lay all the valve pars and spring in sequence. It greatly helps avoid confusion
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 06:35:20 PM »
I've always hated working on auto's.  All of those little parts to lose...   :fitz:

Is there any was to beef up the innards while your at it?

Nice pictures though.    :beers:
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 06:48:04 PM »
I've always hated working on auto's.  All of those little parts to lose...   :fitz:

Is there any was to beef up the innards while your at it?

Nice pictures though.    :beers:

Not too much available for an AW4 - not needed anyway.  They seem to last 200K + miles.  Assuming I get a decent pump and converter it should last a long time.
Chuck P
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck

www.oldjeep.com

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 07:51:56 AM »
All those small parts!  I don't think I would ever try rebuilding one.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 BFG MTs, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 08:07:28 AM »
All those small parts!  I don't think I would ever try rebuilding one.

Just like playing with legos.  I had my 10 year old daughter help me out with the valve body, she thought it was a lot of fun.
Chuck P
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck

www.oldjeep.com

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 08:42:41 AM »
Maybe I'll try a transfer case first!
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 BFG MTs, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 08:45:37 AM »
Maybe I'll try a transfer case first!

Good idea ;)   The best advice I can give on auto tranny rebuilding is leave the sub assemblies together and rebuild them individually as you install them.  If you take every single part apart all at once it would be a little daunting to find the right pieces and get it all back together correctly.
Chuck P
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck

www.oldjeep.com