Author Topic: distributor problem? spark plug problem im not sure! HELP!!!  (Read 693 times)

donshearer

My name is don.. Im 16 years old and on my 2nd wrangler.. I have finished cleaning this one up and doing a couple little things and am now trying to sell it to buy another wrangler but i am having some issues with it and wanted to see if anyone on here could pinpoint my problem... Its a 97 4 cyl with air raid cold air intake, flowmaster muffle, 6 in suspension lift and 35 in tires... The way i drive it i have no problems i shift at about 2800 rpms that way when the rpms drop when im in the next gear they stay at about 2000.. If you shift at to low of rpms or give it alot gas when your under 1800 rpms it will kind of bog down.. It is compltely fine as long as i keep it above 1800 rpms but its bugging a few people.. I was told it could be distributor or spark plugs.. anyone have any ideas or think thats right??
Thanks for your help[, Don Shearer
Bedford Tx

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: distributor problem? spark plug problem im not sure! HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 10:59:01 PM »
My name is don.. Im 16 years old and on my 2nd wrangler.. I have finished cleaning this one up and doing a couple little things and am now trying to sell it to buy another wrangler but i am having some issues with it and wanted to see if anyone on here could pinpoint my problem... Its a 97 4 cyl with air raid cold air intake, flowmaster muffle, 6 in suspension lift and 35 in tires... The way i drive it i have no problems i shift at about 2800 rpms that way when the rpms drop when im in the next gear they stay at about 2000.. If you shift at to low of rpms or give it alot gas when your under 1800 rpms it will kind of bog down.. It is compltely fine as long as i keep it above 1800 rpms but its bugging a few people.. I was told it could be distributor or spark plugs.. anyone have any ideas or think thats right??
Thanks for your help[, Don Shearer
Bedford Tx

What's the gearing?  The 2.5L has a narrow powerband and if it's got stock gears it could be struggling.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline neale_rs

Re: distributor problem? spark plug problem im not sure! HELP!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 10:00:46 AM »
Sounds pretty normal.  When I went to 33s with 4.56 gearing I had to start shifting at least just above 2500 rpm, otherwise it seems to bog down a bit.  I don't think anything else went wrong to cause it, just the extra load from the bigger tires.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 BFG MTs, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch