Author Topic: Guardian7 TBI Spacer Project  (Read 3006 times)

Guardian7

Guardian7 TBI Spacer Project
« on: August 04, 2006, 02:31:31 AM »
Here are some pictures of the Pre 91 Throttle Body Spacer going on an 89 YJ for road testing. Pulling the studs out of the manifold was a hardest part, I recommend a quality stud puller for this job because using 2 nuts locked against each proved really really hard and you dont want a broken stud or stripped out mounting hole. The studs get replaced with (4) 5/16-18X2" bolts which are larger then what Jeep used on the later model Throttle Bodies.

Jesse-James

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 05:37:58 AM »
What's the bore size? Looks kinda small. :puzzled:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 12:21:52 PM »
Quote from: "Jesse-James"
What's the bore size? Looks kinda small. :puzzled:

I believe it was matched to the gasket.  ALthough seeing the opening, it could have been opened up.  Since it's still a prototype, it still can.  I'd measure the bore and then make note of if.  Run what you got and see if there is any change. Then bore it out ot make another to compare.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Guardian7

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 12:22:15 AM »
Yes, it was matched to the gasket which makes a great template, but actually the bore has a parabolic curve which we wanted to test. Once we are happy with the performance and torque we hope to run off 100 units for sale to the public.

jeepers

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 08:39:32 AM »
Quote from: "Guardian7"
Yes, it was matched to the gasket which makes a great template, but actually the bore has a parabolic curve which we wanted to test. Once we are happy with the performance and torque we hope to run off 100 units for sale to the public.

Are these going to be tested on a flow meter, or on an engine on a dino    :?:

Guardian7

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 05:33:51 PM »
Wish I had that option but I am just a Mechanic who likes Jeeps and has a friend with a machine shop. There are plenty of large companies who have already done dyno testing on TB spacers, they are an old performance Hot Rod trick that's been around a long time for Carburators, and now for TBI,  EFI, & MFI systems. I have found you can buy a spacer for almost any car or truck on the market. All I want is a spacer to fit the hole pattern on our Pre 91 2.5L Jeep Throttle Body. Most likely I will sell some through this forum & on Ebay which will be a straight smooth bore with the same thickness as the unit PowerAid sells for the 91-01 2.5L engine to enhance mid-range power & torque for us 4bangers running bigger tires. I think many companies shy away from the Pre 91 Jeep TBS due to the fact there are studs mounted on the intake which must be removed making the job alot more involved then just a bolt-on spacer and longer replacement bolts. If you snap off a stud or it strips the manifold during removal you have a big mess. During my 89 Mod it looked like thread-lock was used when Jeep put the studs into the aluminum manifold, then add years of heating & cooling, maybe some corrosion and they can be tough to remove so after I got them out I ran a tap down the holes to clean them up nice and a flat file on the deck, then with 2 new gaskets and 4 new bolts the rest was easy. (See Previous Pics)

Offline chardrc

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 07:53:44 PM »
well im glad i have a stud puller then... that is if i do get one of those spacers...
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Got Wood?

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 08:36:14 AM »
Any idea when they will be available?

bwarren

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 07:45:49 AM »
I'm interested as well.  Thanx!

Guardian7

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 10:30:43 PM »
I will keep everyone posted, when we get the power and torque range correct we will run off a bunch. I am hoping to gain some mid-range torque at highway speeds  to help running those big tires. Next week I am off from work and will have some time to work on it.

WhiteYJ

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 09:10:11 AM »
You're the man.

TURBOD16V

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 01:43:44 PM »
SUP!
 how's that spacer going?

WhiteYJ

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 02:13:32 PM »
i second that question.

patiently waiting,
nate

Offline chardrc

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 04:51:57 PM »
i thrid that question
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Guardian7

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 08:32:48 PM »
Sorry I am so slow guys, I get day off from work tomorrow and will be doing some mods on it. I need to open the bore up more and then reinstall and test another 2 weeks.