Author Topic: *** Introduce yourself here! ***  (Read 297207 times)

Offline trailsrus

Re: *** Introduce yourself here! ***
« Reply #1575 on: July 16, 2018, 01:59:31 PM »
Glad to be a member and look forward to learning from the community. Purchased a '93 YJ. Body is solid. Been out trail riding and have had a bit of summer enjoyment. This winter I will be installing new seals on the front diff, transfer case, oil pan, main, and valve cover. Also needs some small stuff like a new water pump and ball joints. Might put in new synchros. Good winter projects. 

Offline RedRangler

« Reply #1576 on: August 12, 2018, 11:29:38 AM »
I am new to this forum, just recently found it while trying to nail down a no spark/no start problem with my renix system. I have owned this low-mileage/rust-free 1990 Wrangler YJ w/2.5 TBI since 2006. Except for the '06 stock wheels this YJ is all stock, no lifts or mods. I find it easier to work on something that resembles the shop manuals. Do all my own work. This vehicle has brought me into the late 20th century, learning to use my multi-meter to track down problems in the engine bay. My first car, age 18, was a '55 Willys station wagon, inline 6 with overdrive. Great car for a young longhair in the '60s. Next up was a similar 1953 model.

After that it was a series of British sports cars, all 4-bangers except the TR6. Learned to rebuild engines on these cars. Currently keeping a '68 MGB on the road as my daily driver. The YJ is my tractor, working around my property doing fire abatement and other chores. Generally runs well and is reliable, handy in the snow here at 6000 ft in the San Jacinto Mtns. of SoCal. Nice to know there is a group appreciates the four cylinder engine.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #1577 on: August 13, 2018, 02:40:54 PM »
I am new to this forum, just recently found it while trying to nail down a no spark/no start problem with my renix system. I have owned this low-mileage/rust-free 1990 Wrangler YJ w/2.5 TBI since 2006. Except for the '06 stock wheels this YJ is all stock, no lifts or mods. I find it easier to work on something that resembles the shop manuals. Do all my own work. This vehicle has brought me into the late 20th century, learning to use my multi-meter to track down problems in the engine bay. My first car, age 18, was a '55 Willys station wagon, inline 6 with overdrive. Great car for a young longhair in the '60s. Next up was a similar 1953 model.

After that it was a series of British sports cars, all 4-bangers except the TR6. Learned to rebuild engines on these cars. Currently keeping a '68 MGB on the road as my daily driver. The YJ is my tractor, working around my property doing fire abatement and other chores. Generally runs well and is reliable, handy in the snow here at 6000 ft in the San Jacinto Mtns. of SoCal. Nice to know there is a group appreciates the four cylinder engine.
Welcome.  You should be a master at electronics after working on British cars!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 02:41:12 PM by Jeffy »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline JohnRodriguez

« Reply #1578 on: August 26, 2018, 06:22:08 PM »
Hello there.  It's nice to find a forum where the members first reply to a 4 cylinder question with"get ride of it".  My driveway has two Jeep Wranglers in it.  A 2008 jk unlimited with a 5.3l motech conversion done back in December 2011 and has over 100,000 miles on the LS, and over 204,000 miles total.  My other Jeep is a 89 wrangler with 230,000 miles on it.  Just this last month i finally did my induction system up grade with a Clifford 4bbl intake (to forever to get one) and a brand new Fitech 2 barrel system.  It runs on 32" bfg AT km2 with weld racing prostar XP's,. Willlwood disc brakes, 4.56 gears with a Detroit in the rear and trutrack in front.  When I figure out how, I'll post some pictures of the engine
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 06:24:10 PM by JohnRodriguez »

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #1579 on: August 26, 2018, 11:17:45 PM »
Welcome!  Sounds like you run both ends of the spectrum.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline Kaveman

• Stock 89’ wrangler ~ 4 banger ~
« Reply #1580 on: October 20, 2018, 11:17:39 PM »
Hello all  my name is Joshua. Sorry about the late introduction, been busy here in Maine. Came across this site searching for info on the ‘89 wrangler 2.5 I just acquired for doing some work for my brother in law. I never thought I would own one but it has sure grown on me. Probably will only be a yard vehicle/woods work vehicle for now.My background has been mostly chevy’s Honda’s and bmw’s. I prefer to do my own work. Im happiest behind a wheel a wrench or a chainsaw. Been into anything motorized as long as I can remember.  I hope to learn and grow with everyone and maybe lend some info of my own along the road. Keep em dirty!  :smokes:
~kaveman~

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #1581 on: October 21, 2018, 10:53:17 AM »
Congrats!  I'm sure the Jeep will have you wrenching for a while.  There's always something to do on them.

Offline 737driver

« Reply #1582 on: November 14, 2018, 10:40:25 AM »
Hi !
My name is Jim and I live in the Las Vegas area. Recently I began working on my girlfriends 92 Jeep Yj. It is the base model Yj with a 4cyl / 5 Speed. I really love working on cars , mostly older Pontiacs ( I have 3 Firebirds, a Trans Am and a LeMans Convertible).
  I met my girlfriend almost 2 years ago and I have been teaching her how to work on cars and stuff. She has a really nice Jeep Yj she bought in 1994 in Colorado. Recently I encouraged her to start working on it. Overall it was it really nice shape and runs good. We are not really looking to change much on it because in my opinion it’s really good as is. It has no rust and only one dent that is barely noticeable on the grill from a deer strike.

One thing that impresses me about Jeeps is how great they are to work on and the quality is quite good. Right now we are addressing minor stuff that is just general routine maintenance and cleaning it up. It has over 150k miles on it but runs and drives very good.

Really looking forward to reading and posting and learning more about Jeeps!
Jim

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #1583 on: November 14, 2018, 01:01:05 PM »
Hi !
My name is Jim and I live in the Las Vegas area. Recently I began working on my girlfriends 92 Jeep Yj. It is the base model Yj with a 4cyl / 5 Speed. I really love working on cars , mostly older Pontiacs ( I have 3 Firebirds, a Trans Am and a LeMans Convertible).
  I met my girlfriend almost 2 years ago and I have been teaching her how to work on cars and stuff. She has a really nice Jeep Yj she bought in 1994 in Colorado. Recently I encouraged her to start working on it. Overall it was it really nice shape and runs good. We are not really looking to change much on it because in my opinion it’s really good as is. It has no rust and only one dent that is barely noticeable on the grill from a deer strike.

One thing that impresses me about Jeeps is how great they are to work on and the quality is quite good. Right now we are addressing minor stuff that is just general routine maintenance and cleaning it up. It has over 150k miles on it but runs and drives very good.

Really looking forward to reading and posting and learning more about Jeeps!
Jim
Welcome!

Yeah, they are easy to work on.  I'm sure the designers didn't want to change much when designing the YJ from the CJ.  The tub dimensions are exactly the same.  The engine dates back to the early 80's and is pretty bulletproof.  The other nice thing about YJ's and TJ's for that matter is that replacement parts are cheap.  I think I paid less than $15 for rebuilt caliper.  I think I paid $36 for a new disc when I had to replace those.

Offline 737driver

« Reply #1584 on: November 14, 2018, 11:26:38 PM »
I’ll be honest I was never really a Chrysler fan, but the Jeep really seems to be great quality and well built. I ordered a set of service manuals and they are written quite well and informative. I use the GM manuals and they can get kinda vague in some areas. I like how Jeep used weather pack style connectors because in my opinion they are well worth it.  Overall I am becoming a big fan of Jeeps!
Jim

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #1585 on: November 15, 2018, 12:10:52 PM »
I’ll be honest I was never really a Chrysler fan, but the Jeep really seems to be great quality and well built. I ordered a set of service manuals and they are written quite well and informative. I use the GM manuals and they can get kinda vague in some areas. I like how Jeep used weather pack style connectors because in my opinion they are well worth it.  Overall I am becoming a big fan of Jeeps!
Jim
Kinda funny since Jeeps typically get canned for quality by the big media like Consumer Report and JD Powers, though those are really jsut paid advertisements.

You can find the 1995 (only minor difference) FSM in PDF here.

Offline DaveNC

« Reply #1586 on: November 21, 2018, 04:52:29 PM »
Hi All - I am a New Yorker in North Carolina. Guess that makes me a Dame Yankee; you know the ones that visit down south and never go back. Honestly love it here and I love working on Jeeps. It helps me stay sane. I currently have 3 Jeeps, a 77 CJ7 304 that is in pieces, a 83 CJ7 258 that needs work and a 99 4 banger that is on the road. The 99 is why I am here on the forum. Cheers

Offline BMAC90YJ

« Reply #1587 on: January 22, 2019, 06:07:18 AM »
Im Barry from Mississippi. I have a fully stock 1990 YJ 2.5 with no real mods other than tires, winch and bumper. Found you all while looking up engine rebuilds information, unfortunately threw the #1 rod thru the oil pan a couple weeks ago and about to start the pull/rebuild process. I sure ill be posting some questions around here before to long!!

Offline cmcb15

« Reply #1588 on: January 24, 2019, 09:49:19 PM »
Hello, just picked up a 1995 YJ 2.5/AX5.  Really excited as I've owned a lot of Cherokees and Grand's but only 2 Wranglers and this is my first 2.5.  Runs great but ready for lots of updates/upgrades.

Thank you all for having me!

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #1589 on: January 25, 2019, 02:12:12 PM »
Hey, welcome!  Hope everyone sticks around and posts some.