4bangerJP.com
August 14, 2018, 01:12:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum runs on your donation.                                                                 So donate!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 61   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jeff's '92 Wrangler  (Read 13049 times)
Jeffy
Administrator

« on: March 07, 2007, 05:36:50 PM »

Ok, bare with me since it has been 15 years since I started.  This all started back in May of 1992.  I believe I was 15.  These pictures must have been a month or so after that since the Jeep has it's first set of plates already.  It's a 1992 Wrangler S with the minimal of options.  Just one, power steering.  There was no back seat.  No carpet other then a strip at the front.  No radio and no speakers.  As I soon found out, it didn't even have mounts for the stock speakers.  No rear bumper either.  Notice it has no antenna or hole drilled for one.  I traded in a old Hyundai Excel and still only paid $10,500 OTD.  You can't even buy a Jeep with that these days.

This was the summer of 1993.  I soon got tired of the stock look so I had some extra money and bought a 3" Trail Master lift kit, Progressive Model 84 wheels and 32x11.5R15 BFG AT's.  I had talked to the Dealer I had bought the Jeep from and test drove a similarly lifted Jeep they were selling.  They agreed that if I took it to their approved shop, I wouldn't have any issues with warranty.  I have 1yr Everything and 7/70 Powertrain so this was important.

In 1993/4 I bought a new front bumper.  This was the same one featured in 4Wheel Drive & Sport Utility several times.  They used it on their Bronco project as well as a few others.  The company had been bought out and a new company in Ogden Il (I think) was making the same stuff.  Back these big bumpers were cool.  Not to mention, there are many deer that run around out here.  I never did get to test it against a deer though, just a Pontiac T1000 and later a Rav4.

In 1994, I decided I wanted more lift to keep the tires off the flares.  So I bought some 1.25" Con-Ferr lift shackles.  These were fairly easy to install and made it look better.  it was all about the look back then.  With highway speeds limited to 55mph, gearing was never a problem.  Neither was wind resistance.  Makes you wonder why they raised them back up again.

Jumping to late 1995 and I was getting ready to move out.  I had been tried of the soft top life and wanted something a bit more secure.  I ended up buying a Steel Horse (didn't know any better back then.) from Desert Rat in AZ.  They were one of the few places that had a top in stock in winter.  It was a real change and I thought it was for the better.  It was when the top was still new.  When it got older it would leak and the doors never quite fit right.

So, in early 1996 I moved to west to the 50th state.  The hardtop came in real handy since it rains a lot in Hilo, Hawaii.  I think around February, my friend Andrew and I drove to the top of Mauna Kea Volcano to see the sun rise.  The drove went from sea level to 13,796 ft. in a short amount of time.  At that elevation there is snow at the top.  You could see the snow from the warm beaches.  At the top is was really really cold.  The other picture is of Waipio Road neat the northern tip of the Big Island.  it's supposed to be one of the steepest roads in the US.  4wd was highly recommended but I drove down and back in 2wd.  At the bottom was Waipio Park.  A really cool, black sand beach.

I had enough of the quiet life and moved to the island of Oahu.  These is where all the people are and it was a bit more populated.  Before I left Hilo, I did get my top tinted.  It gets too hot to have a black top and no A/C.  So I had 5% installed in the back and 25% up front.  This was the legal limit and it was dark.  I'd say too dark.  At night, I could barely see anything behind me.  If it was raining, good luck seeing anything.

Now here's where things got weird.  Unlike other states, you are required to have instate 'No Fault' Insurance.  No fault means your fault.  There are still points but everything costs twice as much.  Even though I was an out of state student, my insurance wasn't going to cut it.  Also, instead of SMOG checks they had yearly 'Safety' inspections.  This was a joke and was only setup to get the good guys.  This meant spending $500 on flares, removing my aux. lights and a bunch of other pointless crap.  I had to get my 50-state exhaust certified and have a alignment done.  This was on a Jeep that hadn't been changed since 1994.  Change something and you have to go through it all over again.

Also during this time I met a guy named Rob who was working for the Navy at the time.  With his guidance,  I installed my first set of gears.  What a PITA that was.  Sitting under the Jeep in an open carport with constant 5 minute drizzles every so often then a down pour out of no where.  Still it only cost me $408 to get my gears installed.

Sometime around 1998, I think, I installed a Tractech Gearless Lunch box locker.  It was one of the first to be smooth and livable on a day to day without all of the clunks and bumps of a regular locker.  I ended up returning it after several months under the recall.  Nothing bad happened but I thin I would have been better off with a spool then that locker.  I used the money to help buy a Detroit Locker for my D44 project.  I was BS'ing with a friend and he said he had a XJD44 sitting in his front years and couldn't use it.  So it was sold $150 and that project was started.  Lets, see, there were 4 of us working on it and had it ready in two weeks.  I would have been ready in a week but for some reason the axle didn't have Timken bearings in it and they were skinnier.  This threw off the shims and it took a another day for my gear man to redo them.  When that was done, I had the axle swapped out in a few hours.

Of course that wasn't enough.  I was ready for some new tires and I wasn't sure if I wanted to go with 33's or 35's.  Under the pressure of my friends, I went 35's.  I also didn't like the flares I had bought earlier so I sold them and bought some new flares.  I had a special deal with Warn since the other flares weren't up to my expectations.  The flares were just too stiff for offroad use and would pop off if hit.  I still love the look of the stock flares.  it makes the Jeep look completly different.  Or I should say the wide flares make the Jeep look completely different.

So the new 7" wide Warn Trail flares replaced the 6" wide Warn 4xFlares.  Because of the tire change, I got caught at the Safety Inspection again, where I had to go through the whole process a second time.  Actually, to get one set of papers, I ended up having to go back and forth a few times.  It's a real PITA to be 100% legal.  Most don't even bother and have friends or pay off the station to give them a safety inspection sticker.  The whole process is a joke.

In 2003, I decided to pack up and move back to CA.  I had enough of the island life and it's one season.  So, everything and anything was bolted back onto the jeep.  Stuff was zip-tied in places since they shipped by car and not by weight.  It took a week for it to arrive back in CA.  I ended up picking it up at the port of Oakland, CA.

Now the next day the Jeep went on a HUGE diet.  The front bumper was removed as well as the rear and the trackbar.  Aux. lights were rearranged.  In all, I think I shaved off several hundred lbs of stuff.  I think the next two pictures were taken a day apart.

Now the fun could really start.  In 2003, I decided to do a Socal trip and get some additional work done.  So I ended up going to ratherbejeeping's place in San Pedro and having teh front suspension redone.  The front would go from SUA to SOA in a few hours.  While we were at it we chopped the front bumper down a bit so it wouldn't get kinked if it hit anything.  The bumper was chopped and welded back together so it was still pretty strong.  I thought about going SOA all around but then decided that it was probably better to keep the rear SUA and have better stability.  I was finally able to bring the front pinion back inline with the transfer case.  The joint showed some pitting and probably should be replaced.  Maybe in another 10 years.  I was supposed to get a custom rear bumper/tire carrier made but I backed out.  I wanted to keep the rear of the Jeep light so I just fixed the bushings and have left it that way ever since.  The hinge is a little looser but it's been fine.

So, that trip added something like 2000 miles driving here and there.  I stopped off at another friend's place on the way home and saw he had a top and doors for sale.  It was really tempting so I told him I'd think about it.  Well a week later I drove all 300 miles to pick it up, throw it on and turn around and drive back home.  I really like the rack but I haven't really had a use for it.  The only problem is that the jeep doesn't fit in the garage with the rack on and it's a bit heavy to put on and take off.  So it sits in my shed.  I'd really like to have a permanent rack up there that is supported by the body and not just bolted to the top.  Then I can add a tent up there that flips out over the hood.

So, now I'm up to 2006.  In between 1992 and 2006 there were a few other things.  Sun Performance Quick Air II that turned into a Kilby York.  Revolver shackles were kinda cool although, I never installed the front shackles.  The rear limiting strap for the Revolvers, was custom built by Curt H. of Metal Made Rite.  Sold the Steel Horse top then shipped my stock top from CA to HI.  1.25" JKS body lift was added to help fit the 35's better.  Currie 1" MML was installed then replaced with a TransDap 1" MML.  Since this was a daily driver and the rack seemed to hate the poly MML, it was changed to a 1" JKS spacer lift.  Oh so much better.  The rear tail lights were changed to flush mounted LED's.  RE Swaybar disconnects were added sometime in 1998 as well as a RE hand throttle.  Mastercraft Rubicon seats were sometime in 2002 I think.  J&L bolt-in roll cage went in well before that though.  The dash was also rebuilt since it had risted out in the mean time.  Two rear bumpers, a Smittybilt and a Pro-Comp were installed and removed.  Not it sits naked with mo reer bumper.  Warn winch was installed since I got a great deal on it.  $429 with $27 shipping.  That's hard to beat even today.  Mostly, it just sits on the front of the Jeep and corrodes though.  I'm sure there are a lot of other things I'm forgetting but this gets me up to date I think.

So what's next.  Nothing yet... The next stage will be expensive and I won't be able to piece-meal so I'm holding off.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 06:30:47 PM by Jeffy » Logged

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."
Mozman68
Poseur ExtraordinaireŽ

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 06:19:25 PM »

thanks for catching me up...but now I'm tired.... eek

2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....
chardrc

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 07:10:12 PM »

man thats allot of stuff.. man a person who has actually owned a jeep for its entire existence.. bow

1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr
lanulos89
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 08:01:35 PM »

so when did the doors get messed up, or diff. color at least?Huh??
Jeffy
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 08:31:34 PM »

so when did the doors get messed up, or diff. color at least?Huh??

Oh, I still have the original doors, they're just in the garage.  The originals are half doors while the top uses full doors.  I think the top and doors are from a 1994 YJ.  Forest Green, I think.  My Jeep is a limited production Sage Green Low Gloss Metallic.  They only use this color for 1992 and it's tough finding a matching door.  It's common to see a YJ with missmatching doors though.  Kinda like being in a club.  lol

"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."
lanulos89
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 08:55:14 PM »

i kno i just figured you kinda xplained like replacing every single nut and bolt, figured u wouldve said about your doors too
dunklervogel
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 10:01:10 PM »

so when did the doors get messed up, or diff. color at least?

stopped off at another friend's place on the way home and saw he had a top and doors for sale.  It was really tempting so I told him I'd think about it.  Well a keep later I drove all 300 miles to pick it up, throw it on and turn around and drive back home.

Cool

Oh and quite a history you got there... was an interesting read!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 10:04:51 PM by dunklervogel » Logged
Guardian7
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 07:01:09 PM »

Jeffy. how do you like those dual fog/driving lights? I am watching a pair on Ebay for $14.99
damon54
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 07:39:19 PM »

I was considering the SOA on mine and saw that you did that to the front.  How does that work out for you?  And how do you match the front and the back.  (sorry if that is a retarded question!)
Jeffy
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 08:01:34 PM »

Jeffy. how do you like those dual fog/driving lights? I am watching a pair on Ebay for $14.99

Well, those lights are PIAA's and they ain't cheap.  They work great though.  I can switch from the yellow fogs to the projection driving lights with a slip of the switch.  So they're like two lights in one.

I was considering the SOA on mine and saw that you did that to the front.  How does that work out for you?  And how do you match the front and the back.  (sorry if that is a retarded question!)

It works out pretty good actually.  Most of your ride quality comes form the front suspension.  It's rather soft BUT doesn't sway that bad with the swaybar attached.  There is no trackbar on either the front or rear.  It's stable enough to take a turn rather hard without feeling like it's going to tip over.  I take turns a bit serious.  With the front swaytbar disconnected there is a bias towards the front but it still works well.  I might end up swapping from my stock leafs to some RE 1.5" SOA leafs and maybe some 4.5" or 6" leafs.  The Jeep currently sits almost level.  I measured around 1/4-1/2" difference between the front and the rear with the top on.  The top really softens the rear springs.  It gets a bit stiffer when the top is off.

neale_rs

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 02:51:31 PM »

Jeffy,

Reading your description I think your Jeep has 4.25 inches of suspension lift in the back.  I was wondering what kind of rear driveshaft you are using and if you have a SYE?

Thanks

'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 BFG MTs, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch
Jeffy
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 03:23:53 PM »

Jeffy,

Reading your description I think your Jeep has 4.25 inches of suspension lift in the back.  I was wondering what kind of rear driveshaft you are using and if you have a SYE?

Thanks

Stock driveshaft for now.  Keep in mind though. I have no T-case shims or axle either.  The angle is sorta kept in check with the 1" MML and the D44.  It's not the best setup but it works for now.  I'm holding off on any SYE since I'll probably eventually go with a new transfer case.  I know there is a thread around someplace, when I removed the shims and shows picts.

neale_rs

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 03:34:03 PM »

Thanks.  I'm looking into lifting 2.5 inches so it sounds like it should be no problem with the stock DS.

'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 BFG MTs, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch
Jeffy
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 04:40:11 PM »

Thanks.  I'm looking into lifting 2.5 inches so it sounds like it should be no problem with the stock DS.

Maybe or maybe not.  With a stock setup and a 2.5" you'll probably need use T-case shims.

chardrc

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 07:02:07 PM »

with my 1990yj i needed the tcase lowering shims for my 2.5 inch lift.

1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 61   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: