Author Topic: Engine & Transmission Swaps  (Read 2840 times)

admin

Engine & Transmission Swaps
« on: May 24, 2005, 02:06:58 PM »
Compiled by Greg55_99: http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthread.php?t=4740&page=1&pp=15

Manual Transmissions

Part I

The Jeep/Dodge AX15 5-speed, the Jeep NV3550 5-speed, the Jeep NV1500, the Toyota R150F & R151F, the 87-92 Toyota Supra Turbo R154, the Isuzu AR5 and the Pontiac Solstice\Saturn Sky\Chevy Colorado\ GMC Canyon MA5 5-speeds all share the same case to bellhousing bolt pattern (Large Pattern). As such there are a number of possibilities that can be had when a 5-speed is desired:

Pic 1 #1. Novak Enterprises: Adapter plate for AX15 to GM 4-speed bellhousing. Connects all except NV3550 and NV1500 to same.

#2. 94-95 Dakota 2.5L bellhousing: Connects all to any K car based 2.2L-2.5L L4 in a RWD application.

#3. 96-00 Dakota 2.5L bellhousing: Connects all to any Jeep 2.5L L4. Because of it's GM 60 degree V6 inherited bolt pattern, also works with any Buick FWD V6 and supercharged V6, any Chevrolet 2.8/3.1/3.4 V6, any Cadillac 4.1/4.5/4.9 V8 and with a minor modification, any Olds Aurora DOHC V8 and Cadillac DOHC Northstar V8. Also bolts to any Isuzu 3.2\3.5 DOHC V6 and Holden (Australia) 3800 V6.

#4. 88-99 Jeep 4.0L L6 bellhousing: Connects all to any AMC 290/304/343/360/390/401 V8 and any 72 and later 232 L6 and 258 L6.

#5. 94-99 Dakota 3.9L V6 Bellhousing: Connects all to any 3.9L V6 and any 273/318/340/360 V8, Magnum 5.2\5.9 V8, 5.7L Hemi V8 and Jeep 2.8L CRD Turbo Diesel.

#6. 96-04 Toyota Tacoma 3.4L V6. Also works with Toyota 3.0L V6

#7. 86.5-92 Toyota Supra Turbo 7M-GTE. Also works with Toyota 5M-GE.

Not shown:

01-04 Jeep Liberty 3.7L V6 bellhousing: Connects all to any 3.7L V6 and 4.7L V8.

03-04 Jeep Liberty\TJ 2.4L bellhousing: Connects NV1500 to 2.4L SOHC\DOHC Neon\SRT-4\PT Cruiser L4 (See info at #11)

Isuzu Trooper 3.5 V6 AR5 bellhousing: Connects all to any Isuzu 3.2\3.5 V6

04-05 Chevy Colorado\ GMC Canyon MA5 bellhousing: Connects all to any Vortec 2800 L4, 3500 L5 and 4200 L6

06 Pontiac Solstice\ Saturn Sky MA5 bellhousing: Connects all to any Ecotec 2.4L

88-95 Toyota Landcruiser: 1L, 2L and 2L-T Turbo Diesel truck bellhousing connects to R series transmissions. (See Pic 2 Note below)

Aftermarket:

Advance Adapters: Bellhousing for AX15 to Chevrolet-Buick-Olds-Pontiac V8 and Buick V6. Connects all except NV3550, NV1500 and Pre 1996 R150 and R151 to same. www.advanceadapters.com

Advance Adapters: Bellhousing for Pre 1996 R150 and R151 to Chevrolet-Buick-Olds-Pontiac V8 and Buick V6. www.advanceadapters.com

Advance Adapters: Bellhousing for NV3550 to Chevrolet-Buick-Olds-Pontiac V8 and Buick V6.

Advance Adapters: Adapter plate for AX15 to Ford bellhousing. Connects all except NV3550 and NV1500 to same.

Advance Adapters: Adapter plate for NV3550 to Ford bellhousing.

Swift Machine: Adapter plate for NV3550 to GM 4-speed bellhousing. www.swiftmachine.com

Suzuki Only Supply: Adapter plate to bolt R series to Suzuki 1.3\1.6. www.rock4xfabrication.com/ringr.htm

AR Engineering: Adapter plate to bolt Mopar Small Block V8 bellhousing to a Mopar 225 Slant Six. Can be used in conjunction with a Dakota V6 bell to bolt all of the long shaft tranismissions to the Slant Six. http://www.arengineering.com/

Part II

Jeep AX5, Toyota G52, G58, W55, W56, W57 and W58 5-speeds all share a common face pattern on the case (Small pattern). As such, any 88-99 Jeep 2.5L bellhousing (NOT Dakota) will bolt a Toyota W series transmission to a 60 degree GM bolt pattern.

Factory: 1981-86 1L, 2L and 2L-T Turbo Diesel truck bellhousing connects to W and G series transmissions. (See Pic 2 Note below)

Aftermarket:

Advance Adapters: Bellhousing to bolt a W and G series Toyota trans to a Chevy-Buick-Olds-Pontiac block.

Northwest Off Road: Bellhousing to bolt W and G series to Ford 5.0. www.northwestoffroad.com

Suzuki Only Supply: Adapter plate to bolt W and G series to Suzuki 1.3\1.6. www.rock4xfabrication.com/ringr.htm

Acme Adapters: Adapter plate and flywheel to bolt VW 1.6, 1.9 Diesel to W and G series transmisson. www.acmeadapters.com

Japanese Auto Repair: Adapter plate to bolt Toyota W and G series transmissions to a Mitsubishi DOHC 4G63 bellhousing. www.japaneseauto.com

OTT Industries: Adapter plate to bolt an SM420 5-speed to any Toyota W and G series bellhousing. Can also be used for a GM pattern T5 and Tremec TKO. http://www.ottindustries.com/

Part III

NOTE: Input shafts lengths vary.

Pre 1995 R150\R151 = 6.5"
1996 up Toyota R series = 7.5"
AX15 = 7.875"
87-92 Turbo Supra R154 = 7.25"
AR5 = 8.2"
MA5 = 7.5"
NV3550 = 7.875"
NV1500 = 8.6"
AX5 = 7.5"
Toyota W series = 6.5"
Toyota G series = 6.5"

Pic 2 Advance Adapters makes an extra long pilot bearing when using a slightly shorter input shaft tranny with a bellhousing that had a longer one. Obviously you can't put the longer input shaft trans into a Toyota bell that had a shorter one. (Unless a spacer is used or the input shaft is swapped. See below.)

The transmissons and bellhousings can be split up into two categories. SHORT SHAFT\SHORT BELL and LONG SHAFT\LONG BELL. They cannot be easily mixed without modifications.

All AX15's, AR5's, MA5's, NV3550's, R154's and Toyota R150's (built after 1996) are LONG SHAFT\LONG BELL. To use one of these in a SHORT SHAFT\SHORT BELL application requires a 1" spacer available from Dellow Automotive or Castlemaine Rod Shop in Australia. Of course, any bellhousing combo one can think of is also available from them...

http://www.dellowauto.com.au/catalo...wAutomotive.pdf

http://www.rodshop.com.au/

ALL Toyota R150's and R151's built before 1996 are SHORT SHAFT\SHORT BELL. These CANNOT be used in a LONG SHAFT\LONG BELL application or with LONG SHAFT\LONG BELL adapter plates.

Pic 3: Example of a LONG SHAFT transmission hooked up to a SHORT BELL with a Dellow Automotive spacer

The Jeep AX5's 7.5" input shaft does not allow it to be used with the Toyota G and W series bellhousings unless a spacer is fabricated OR the input shaft is swapped between them. (Apparently the short 6.5" G and W series Toyota input shaft can be made to work in an AX5 case and vice versa). The one exception is shown below.

The Jeep NV1500 has the longest input shaft of the group at 8.6".

Pic 4: All of the large pattern transmissions.
Pic 5: All of the small pattern transmissions.

Trans First Second Third Fourth Fifth

AX15 - 3.83 2.33 1.44 1.00 0.79
AR5 - 3.753 2.26 1.37 1.00 0.729
MA5 - 3.753 2.26 1.37 1.00 0.729
R150 - 3.83 2.062 1.436 1.00 0.838
R151 - 4.31 3.32 1.52 1.00 0.83
R154 - 3.25 1.95 1.30 1.00 0.75
NV1500- 3.85 2.25 1.48 1.00 0.80
NV3550 - 4.01 2.32 1.40 1.00 0.78
Aftermarket gearset by OS Giken for Toyota R, GM/Isuzu AR5 and Jeep AX15: 2.701 1.614 1.215

Pic 6: Front bearing covers are interchangeable between the Toyota R series, AX15, MA5, and AR5. NV3550, AX5 and W series are not interchangeable. The 92 and earlier Jeep AX15 front cover is aluminum and takes a hydraulic throwout bearing. The 93 and later AX15 uses an external slave and clutch arm. It's cast iron. The Toyota front cover has a shorter nose of a smaller diameter and is also cast iron.

So... there's no shortage of parts for these gearboxes. Any good shop can rebuild them and they are still not that expensive.

There are several other offshoots to choose from.

Pic 1: One is the ability to swap an AX5 behind a Jeep 2.5L with a heavier duty AX15 by using the 96-00 Dodge Dakota 2.5L bellhousing.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181361

The other is mating an NV4500 to any AX15 or Toyota R series bellhousing using an Advance Adapters adapter plate.

Pic 2, 3 & 4: The Advance Adapters plate is designed to connect the NV4500 to a Jeep 4.0L AX15 bellhousing. Because of its bolt pattern however, it will work with all of the others (with the proper spacing).

There are several other offshoots to choose from.

Pic 1: One is the ability to swap an AX5 behind a Jeep 2.5L with a heavier duty AX15 by using the 96-00 Dodge Dakota 2.5L bellhousing.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181361

The other is mating an NV4500 to any AX15 or Toyota R series bellhousing using an Advance Adapters adapter plate.

Pic 2, 3 & 4: The Advance Adapters plate is designed to connect the NV4500 to a Jeep 4.0L AX15 bellhousing. Because of its bolt pattern however, it will work with all of the others (with the proper spacing).

As has been pointed out, the pre '96 R150F and R151F input shafts are far too short to be used in the AX15 bellhousings. (Even with the Advanced Adapters pilot bushing) The R154 input shaft is longer, and, with the proper spacing and AA bushing CAN be used in the AX15 bellhousings with no mods.

Some further information from Marlin "Crawler" Czajkowski on the Toyota R series and the AX15. It is possible to swap the longer AX15 input shaft into the pre '96 R150F.

This info does NOT apply to the NV3550 or R151F.

"Parts are interchangeable between these trannys. Inputs, output shafts, front nose cone, and rear housing are different but generally can be interchanged if you stay with in the family.

There are three "R" families;

86-91 early, simple, common, heavy design

92-95 upgraded syncrows, hubs, shift rods and linkage, smaller bearings, lighter gears

96-newer greater helix angles, upgraded syncrows, lighter bolts, reverse brake

The Jeep 86-00' AX15 would use the same bearings, syncrows, and gears within the same family as the Toyota boxes. I am not sure of the Isuzu production years, but would also be the same.

Remember that only the 86-87' 4x4 R151F 22R Turbo got the 4.31 1st gear. 2x4 22R Turbos, got the 3.83 1st, along with all other 4x4 R transmissions --- Toyota 3.0, 3.4 V6, Jeeps, and Isuzu's.

The lowest geared R is the 5.15 1st gear found in the R452 imported trans which also uses the same bearings, and syncrows.

The Jeep AX15 has a 10 spline American style input with a 5/8" pilot. I am currently converting a Jeep AX5 to a Toyota t-case

I have never had to opportunity to upgrade an AX15. This can be done but only to a 86-91 AX15. The longer coarse spline input and Jeep nose cone will swap right in. The AX15 bellhousing will also bolt up to the front of the R151F since both front housings are the same!

I send both Toyota and Jeep shafts to my drive line shop and have them put together."

Also, the question was asked (on another board) if the AX15 could be hooked up to Toyota transfer cases for crawling. According to Marlin, that's a go..

"I have put a Marlin dual case behind a AX5 [G54/58 Toyota] Jeep trans by changing the output shaft and tailhousing from a Toyota doner trans.

This can also be done to a AX15 [R150 Toyota].

The Jeep auto should also work as long as the output shaft and rear housing is changed from a Toyota trans.

In the past years, I used to get a lot of calls from Jeep owners wanting to go slow like the Toy trucks. Since I was so busy, I directed the calls to Mepco and Klune V."

And... as to WHY a longer input shaft can't just be swapped into an R151F:

"The problem is that the 4.31 and 5.15 trans were only available with the short, pre 96 input shaft. It is impossible to just replace the input gear only because it is so much smaller. It is so much smaller in diameter, that it would not even touch the front constant run teeth on the factory countershaft. To obtain the 5.15 ratio, the R452 uses the turbo first gear set, but a greater countershaft underdrive by decreasing the input gear diameter, and increasing the countershaft diameter. This combination will effect 1,2,3,5, and reverse ratios.

Marlin"
http://www.marlincrawler.com/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an example of what can be accomplished:

Pic 1: Bellhousing from a 3.0L Supra Turbo attached to an 89 Jeep AX15. The input shaft is 7.82" in length but 6.55" to the edge of the threads.

Pic 2: Toyota Supra Turbo R154 next to Jeep AX15. Input shaft is 7.25" in length but 6.65" to the edge of the threads.

Pic 3: Supra Turbo R154 next to Jeep AX15.

It is obviously possible to swap the 91 and earlier Jeep input shaft into an R150F and use the Supra Turbo bellhousing to hook it up to the 7MGTE. However, this shaft swapping can be avoided if using the 1996 and later R150F which has a longer input shaft already.

For those Jeep gents that have broken AX5's laying around, Don't ditch the bellhousing. It may be used in a Toyota application and can bolt up any GM 60 degree engine (3.4/3.1/2.8 Chevy V6, Buick 3800 V6, Isuzu 3.2/3.5 V6, etc....) to the Toyota G series and W series tranismissions.

Pic 1 is a Toyota W58 out of a Supra hooked up to an AX5 bellhousing.

Pic 2 shows the AX5 bell planted up to a Chevy Camaro 3.4L V6.

Pic 3 For this to work with the AX5 bell, you'd need the thick (heavy) flywheel from a Camaro/Firebird. It places the clutch disk back far enough to completely engage the splines on the short W/G series input shaft. That's got to be at least 1 3/4" from the back of the block to the front face of the flywheel. The S10 flywheel is shorter and won't work.

Pic 4 is a bellhousing also with the GM 60 degree pattern from the 96-00 Dodge Dakota 2.5L hooked up nicely to an R154 5-speed out 87-92 Toyota Turbo Supra.

Some further info from Michael Jamison:

"Not sure who was looking for this info, they signed as guest, but here is some info if you can set aside your pride of having Toy parts in your Jeep. But it really is a good way to go.

If your AX5 is crapping out every 15,000 miles and you are tired of rebuilding and want a nice front axle too this is for you.

A toy 5 speed tranny will bolt right up to the AX5 bellhousing with no mods. You take the input shaft from the AX5 and put it into the Toy tranny to retain your correct length input. It is about an inch difference. The Toy input bearings goes on the AX5 shaft.

Your stock clutch will work with a Toy pressure plate. slave cylinder is on the opposite side, but otherwise bolts right up, THe speed sensor bolts right up.

You will have to make a custom crossmember. but it is possible to get it damn near flat belly with minor cutting of the tub. driveshaft will be a little short in the rear, but with a standard ujoint shaft it is livable. you have plenty of gearing options for the t case. 4.0, 4.7, 5.0.

You will also have to swap out the front axle to passenger side drop. Been looking at those Scout 44 axles for a swap. Now you can do it.

This all came about on what we did to a buddy of mines YJ.
Trany was shot. He wanted a buildup anyway.
Toy tranny and transfer. Scout 44's 4.88's spool and Ox locker. flat belly sping over and 36's. Worked out pretty good and still works well.

Best of all he has a tranny that will outlast the Jeep."

Michael Jamison

http://www.JamisonWorkshop.com

Also from TMF on the Pirate Board:

"My friend Mike Jamison had an old W56 trans sitting in his shop. I was on my third AX5 and needed something stronger. Both the AX5 and the W56 are made by the same company (Aisin) . Long story short you use the bell housing off the AX5 and bolt it to the W56. I took mine to a trans shop and had them change the input shaft from the AX5 to the W56 (you can not do this on the turbo trans) they had to grind the case a little to get it to fit. I have had it for a year and no problems. It is also nice running the toyota transfer case"

TMF

This info comes from Jpman94 over at www.jeepforum.com. He highlights some differences between the Jeep AX15 and the 4WD Dodge Dakota version:

"I have a Dakota transmission in my Jeep. I want to say it was out of 99 or something like that. I can't remember. I found it on Ebay, and yes it was cheaper than one from a jeep. Don't ask me why, it's the same transmission.

The bell housing is removalable on the Dakota transmissions. I got mine without the bellhousing, the guy had the original that mated it to a V-8, but I didn't need that...

Once I got the transmission and then pulled my old one, I started comparing the two and looking for differences. I know, a little late to do that after I bought it, but I'm dumb like that... Everything was EXACTLY the same, input shaft size, spline count, output, transfer case shifter mount points, EVERYTHING, except.....

The 'clocking' of the transfer case mounting holes is different. The durango transfer case is clocked about 6-7 degrees LOWER! I thought long and hard about just making this work, but I sure didn't want to force it to fit and I didn't want to loose ground clearance.

So, after a lot of debating with my buddy helping me, we decided we would take a drill to my newly purchased transmission!!! We carefully made a template using the back of my old transmission and transferred the hole locations to the new one from the dakota. We then double and triple checked everything and then started to drill. While the ears that the holes are drilled into are the same on both transmissons, the hole locations are at opposite sides, (you just have to see one to understand that). So, there is room to drill the correct holes, but there is not much room for error. We started with small holes and worked our way up to the right size. When we were all done, the transfer case slid right on, in the correct location.

Other than that, the rest is better much a standard transmission install. The only other thing, is you will need to obviously use your shifter, as the dakota shifter isn't even close. Just unbolt it from your old tranny and bolt it to the new one."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Pic 1 of the set up below was a method of getting a free beer from Randy Burleson at www.4x4wire.com. The Isuzu DOHC 3.2\3.5L V6 has a dual bolt pattern on the back of the block. The outside pattern is strictly Isuzu, however, the inside pattern is the GM 60 degree. I can only presume it's there to fit up GM automatic tranny's in Troopers. So.. to prove this beyond doubt to Randy, there we have it. That's a twin cam 3.5L Isuzu V6 bolted (for the most part) up to a T5 out of a 95 2.2L S10 Chevy pickup. The bellhousing has the Ford T5 pattern on the case side and the GM 60 degree pattern on the engine side. I'd have put more bolts in the holes but I couldn't find any more at the yard. And yes... it is sitting in the back seat of a Trooper. Don't ask how it got there..... I like Fosters Randy....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pic 2 is of the "strange but true" variety. Using the Novak AX15 to GM bellhousing adapter, one can hook up the Toyota R154 Supra Turbo tranny (or any 96 and later "R" series with the longer input shaft) up to a stock 61-63 Buick 215 V8 bell. This set up will work behind any Rover V8 in a Land Rover, Range Rover, Discovery or Triumph TR8.

Pic 3 is of the "Even stranger but TRUE!" variety. Using a Small Block Mopar adapter available from Hot Heads, a Dakota V6 bellhousing can be used to bolt up the long shaft transmissions to a Chrysler 1955 - 59 331/354/392 Hemi! http://www.hothemiheads.com/ Of course, who would want too....
Pic 4 is the Advance Adapters adapter plate to mount an AX15 to a Ford "butterfly" bolt pattern bellhousing.
Pic 5 comes from Chris Pomeroy. Using a 2.5L Dakota bellhousing, he's hooked up a Toyota long shaft R150F to a Buick 3800 V6.

Since the Toyota G and W series bellhousings can be swapped onto a Jeep AX5 (with an input shaft change), another avenue has been opened up for Toyota Diesel engines. The following information comes from Todd at http://www.toyotadieselmadness.com/

------------------------------------------------------------------
Post subject: Toyota diesel conversions FAQ

Ok, I get so many emails concerning this subject that I thought it appropriate to take the time to right up a little FAQ on toyota diesels and converting USA/Canada trucks.

Q: Which years were they available in the USA/Canada?
A: The toyota trucks were available in 2wd for in 1981-1986. The engines themselves changed but they all share a similar design (IDI inline 4cylinder). You could get the 4wd models in 1985-86 in a turbo diesel form (2L-T). Although some of these 4wd versions I have seen with a 2L non turbo.

Q: What are the engines that were available with these trucks?
A: There were 3 truck diesel engines available here in the states.
1L-the first diesel engine available here in the US. A slow but rugged engine. It only was available NA
2L- A larger displacement 2.2L overhead cam inline 4 cylinder. A little better power than the 1L but no powerhouse.
2L-T- A turbo charged version of the 2L which in later models featured a roller rocker valve train and lower compression to compensate for the extra heat created by forced induction. The final version available from Toyota sold here in the USA and Canada.

Q: Are parts hard to find for these engines?
A: Not too bad. Some stuff can be found at NAPA and dealerships. It really depends what you are looking for. Some parts are no longer available so finding them requires a creative thinker.

Q: I want to convert my USA/Canada truck to diesel. What engine/combo is the easiest to convert and cheapest?
A: All three engines share the same bolt pattern. So you can really use any of them.
Q: What is the ideal truck to convert?
A: Anything with a 22re gas engine will be pretty much a straight forward conversion. 4x4 trucks/4runners from 1985-1995 should bolt right up. You will need the diesel motor mounts though. Although it can be done, the V6 powered trucks/4runners need to stay v6 powered. There is alot involved including driveshaft mods and cutting off the old engine mounts and welding in new ones. Much more involved process and frankly not worth the extra effort.

Q: Which transmission should I use for my conversion?
A: The w56 transmission is what you will need for any toyota diesel conversion. This is a 5-speed overdrive 4x4 transmission with a removable bellhousing. You will need to purchase a diesel bellhousing and swap out the gas bellhousing for the diesel one in order to mate the engine trans up sucessfully. The reason for this is that on the 22re the starter is on the passenger's side of the car. On the diesel, the starter is on the driver's side of the car. If you were to try and get around this, the turbo would basically be touching the starter and it wouldn't fit. The W56 was standard on 4x4 trucks and 4 runners from 1985-1995.

Q: Which engine would you recommend from your experiences?
A: The 1L and the 2L are not really worth the time. They are painfully slow and in a 4x4 setting, they are greatly underpowered. Pretty good for a little 2wd truck though. To convert a 2wd truck just buy the 2wd diesel trans complete with bellhousing and install. There are 3 more engine available only in Europe that are highly recommended for anyone doing a diesel conversion. They are:

2L-TE- Same block as the 2L and 2L-T but has an electronically controlled timing advance module in the injection pump which gives is much better response time under load. It controls mroe finely the fuel delivery and has a larger advance curve giving it a slight Hp increase of 10hp from the 2LT.
3L- A 2.8 liter sharing the same block as the 2L and 2L-T/2L-TE. Toyota kept the electronic controls of the 2L-TE and added a few smog features. Not too complicated to wire up. My choice of engines for power and simplicity.
5L- A 3.0 liter inline 4 cylinder diesel. Alot of electronics which include features of the previous engines. Different bolt pattern and engine mounts. These are found in the euro Hilux's (tacomas) and Surf's (4runners). I got a chance to drive one of these and whoa. Balls to the walls power. Very impressive but even in Europe, hard to find and expensive. This is the last one I'll mention but if you want to spend serious cash on a toyota diesel converison with the latest engines available, you'd be better off importing one from South America and trying to register it as a 1974 model. After a vehicle is 30 years old, it can be imported because of the lack of exemptions.

Q:How difficult are these things to wire up?
A: Not too bad actually. There is really one wire to hook up for the fuel cut solenoid. This basically allows fuel to reach the inector lines. Wiring up the temp sending unit etc requires a bit of reading but nothing too difficult.

Q: Where can I get a diesel engine for cheap?
A: I would highly suggest you not just buy the engine. You should always go for the half cuts which are found all over the internet. A half cut is basically everything including the trans and engine from the dashboard forward. They cut the vehicle in half. This way you get everything, wiring engine trans glow plug timers etc. A much cheaper way to got in the long run. All the little stuff you'll spend alot of time and $$ finding.

Q:What all needs to be swapped out with my gas truck if I were to buy a half cut?
A:You will need to take out the following:
engine
trans
fuel tank
dash
wiring harness
driveshafts
I'm sure theres more but if these dont deter you then go ahead.

Q: My truck has the stock sr5 guages with tachometer.How do I get my tachometer to work as diesels dont have an electronic ignition system?
A: There is a company called Dakota digital (www.dakotadigital.com) that sells a tachomter interface for diesel engines called SG-5 for around $85. The kit consists of a magnetic pickup and a basic receiver which is programmed by using a binary variable circuit board. Which means that you give it different settings for your desired output. You mount the magnetic pickup on the bellhousing facing the flywheel and take the number of teeth on the flywheel and look up the number on the chart and enter in the settings. This will ensure you tachometer is accurate.
note: All toyota guages use a high output signal to power their tachometers. Dakota digital's tachometer SG-5 kit sends a low output signal. You will need to tell Dakota digital when ordering the SG-5 that you need the SG-5 with a high output signal. All they do is combing the SG-% with the SG-8 (another interface they sell).

Q: I cant get my a/c system to cycle on and off like it should. It was working fine before the conversion. What's the problem?
A: All toyota trucks and 4 runners from 1990-1995 use what's called an a/c amplifier. This basically is a logic circuit that takes 3 different signals and then decides if your system is ready to operate.
1 signal is the tachometer signal. Even if the truck is not equipped with a factory tachometer, it still gets this signal from the factory. This tells the a/c amp that the engine is running. Then it needs an idle up signal which it basically sends a +12v to increase the engine RPM. To use this feature, you can use an idle up solenoid from an 85-88 celica or truck with te 22re engine. it's got 2 wires, 1 12v and other is ground. When energised is pulls and not, it retracts.Last is the switch in the dash. This is the sending unit which sends the power to the a/c amp which tells it to turn on. If you have all of these signals, your a/c will function flawlessly. This info took me 2 months of reading schematics to learn.

Q: there's not much info on Toyota diesels on the internet. Where is a good place to start reading?
A: Right here and on SR5.net

Todd
http://www.toyotadieselmadness.com/

Todd also reports that the bellhousing from an 88-95 diesel Toyota Landcruiser with the "100" series transmissions can be used to hook up the same engines to an R series trans. This will also work with the AX15 with a 1" Dellow spacer or an input shaft change.

Acme Adapters offers an adapter plate and modified flywheel to hook up VW 1.6. 1.9L Turbo Diesels to a W series tranny. This requires the use of the Toyota 22R bellhousing. It can also be used with an AX5 if a spacer is fabbed up or the input shaft from a Toyota G or W series trans is used. To use this plate for an R series swap, the R151 Turbo bellhousing must be used (also requires Dellow spacer). "Rockclod" on the Pirate Board had done this to his Toyota truck:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354974

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386018

The Jeep 2005 Liberty comes with a 2.8L DOHC Turbo Diesel that utilizes the standard Mopar Small Block bolt pattern. The Dakota pickup 3.9L V6 bellhousing makes the swap possible.

Well, if you ever wanted to know how to hook up a Dodge Neon or SRT-4 engine to a RWD trans, there MAY be an answer. The 2003-2004 Jeep Liberty and 2003-2004 Jeep TJ use a 2.4L backed up with a transmission called the NV1500. (It's also sometimes called the NV2550. Don't know why.) It doesn't share any parts with it's cousin the NV3550 used in the 4.0 Jeeps, but it DOES share it's transmission to bellhousing bolt pattern. Which, as you already know, is the same as the 1988-92 Toyota Supra Turbo R154 5-speed. So, the NV1500 bell behind the Jeep 2.4L can be used to bolt up the R154. That's the good news. The BAD news is... the input shaft on the NV1500 is longer than the R154 by slightly under an 1.5". The 2.4L bellhousing is 8.6" in depth. The input shaft on the R154 is 7.25" to the tip. Now that's not the real problem. It MAY be able to work with a custom aluminum flywheel that fairly thick. That will place the clutch disk back far enough to fully engage the splines on the input shaft. I haven't seen the Jeep flywheel but I suspect the Liberty flywheel would be fairly thick. So... there you've got it. The AX15 and 96 and later "R" series shafts are slightly longer, but still would need some help.

Pic 3: Left 94-95 Dakota bellhousing for 2.2/2.5L swap with Supra R154
Right 02-04 Jeep TJ bellhousing for 2.0/2.4L swap with R154

Pic 4: TJ bell on left is deeper (8.6") than the Dakota bell on the right (7.82"). Could be, it can be shaved 1/2" to get things to line up. Don't know however.

The NV3550 is a pretty robust gearbox. Much more capable than the AX15 that it replaces. It shares all of its mounting points with the AX15 but, as far as I'm aware, shares no parts with it. So, any application that has an AX15, can take an NV3550 with no problems. Although the front case bolt pattern is identical between all of them (Toyota R, AX15, MA5, AR5, NV3550), the NV3550 has a unique front bearing retainer and shape. It may not be capatable with some aftermarket adapter plates.

I've previously touched upon the MA5 out of the GM Canyon\Colorado pickups and Pontiac Solstice\ Saturn Sky. Todd Kozak of Kozak Automotive was kind enough to send the following info about them, some pics and some info about a project he and a buddy are involved in:

"Greg, the stock THM 350 mount does indeed bolt up to the MA5, although by the looks of it about 1 inch will need to be sectioned from the total height of the mount to properly orient the trans on the crossmember. The 4 speed pictured is a 1970 vintage Muncie M20 with a Pontiac A-body shifter attached to it. Some floor ' clearancing ' may be necessary but in my opinion not too much. The MA5 shifter is closer to the center of the driveline tunnel , so the opening would be re-located slightly to the right. A good friend of mine is going to put it in his 64 GTO , of all things an original tripower 4 speed car. When I ordered the (Novak) adapter last week, the guy at Novak told me they had a customer who had an AX-15 behind an LS1 in a Jeep and it lasted for 6 months. I'm sure they were off-roading it and pounding on it. We plan to put the MA5 into service behind a 400 Pontiac which has more torque output than the LS1.However, it will be street driven only so it may prove to be a good swap. Time will tell. The MA5 has a 1 1/8 inch diameter 26 spline GM input with 0.668 pilot diameter (Muncie, Borg Warner ST-10, T-56) and 27 spline GM output (TH350, Muncie) shafts. Check out the Muncie 4 speed comparison pic. Use a Novak adapter on the front of the MA5 to bolt it right to a conventional Chevy bellhousing or BOP bellhousing, using all your original clutch linkage etc."

Todds direct email is: djd@acsworld.com

PS. I forgot to mention. The bellhousing that comes with the MA5 will bolt directly up to a 275HP GM DOHC 4.2L I6 out of the Envoy\Trailblazer\Bravada. Also, the MA5 uses an electronic speedometer output.

Automatic Transmissions

Isuzu guru Dan Houlton at www.4x4wire.com has infomation regarding the swapping of bellhousings between Aisin automatic transmissions in Jeeps and Toyotas.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"A quick run-down.

The A340 is a very popular tranny in different variants. The key thing is that the main body is the same regardless of what manufacture is using it. Things like bell housings, torque converters, output shafts, tail housings and internal clutches, etc, are different depending on what it's in. *ALL* variances are handled in the bell and tail housing. i.e, something with a big, thick TC will account for that with a big, deep bell housing.

You can swap the bell housing that fits your motor, to an A340 from a different vehicle. This will let you physically bolt it up, but you'll need to account for electronics / TCM yourself. Hardware like the TCM and wiring harness may be very similar, or even the same between makes / models, but I'm unsure of that. The programming will certainly be vehicle specific though.

So...

A340H
This has a hydraulic t-case. Not sure what that means, but it is integral to the tranny. You need to pull the t-case apart to get to the bolts to remove it from the tranny.
This is what Isuzu used in the 2.6 Trooper. They called it the 30-80LE
Used by Toyota early on too.

A340E
2wd version of the A340. No t-case, just a 2wd tail housing. Probably different output shaft variants for different manufactures too.

A340F
Used specifically by Toyota I think starting around '94 or '95. This uses a mechanical, chain-drive t-case. If you want Marlin Crawlers, you can use this tranny, his parts/adapters, toy t-cases and whatever bell, TC, flexplate that will fit your motor.

Some are 21 spline outputs (early 4cyl maybe?). Most I think are 23 spline. If you've got parts already, this could be a good drivetrain. To buy all new though, for tranny (used) and a complete Marlin dual-tcase crawler setup with all the adapters need, the dual t-cases, 4.7's in one case, etc., you're looking at *at least* $2500. That's the main reason I didn't go this route, as I have *no* Toy parts starting out.

AW4
Jeep variant. Used a mechanical t-case, usually a NP-231. The tail housing is the common 6-bolt pattern though, so there's a ton of NP/NV t-cases that'll bolt up. Mine has a big sticker that says 30-40LE

It's also 21/23 spline. It seems the cutoff date is around '91. Before that, it was 21 or 23 depending on the engine. After that, they were all 23 spline.

These were used in a couple different models in different years I think. It's been the auto in nearly every Cherokee though. There's a ton of these out there and it's very cheap compared to a Toy A340F.

Note: According to Marlin, the Jeep 23 spline is *not* the same as the Toyota 23 spline. The shaft on the AW4 is about 1" - 1.5" longer than the Toy A340F, but I thought originally you could still use Marlin's adapters with an extra spacer. He says the shaft diameters are different though. Off by 30 thou or something. Spline pitch is probably different too.

AW4's also used 2 different OD ratios. Early ones were the typical .7:1 ratio. Again, don't know the cutoff, but by around '95 or so, all were using a shallower .75:1 OD. If you search the www.naxja.org forums for AW4, you'll find a ton of info on these.

Theres a bunch more too. The A343 was an upgraded A340. Can't remember specifics though on 2wd/4wd or vehicles. There is also a version behind some big, V8 luxo SUV that uses a much larger and deeper torque converter and a larger input shaft to account for it. That's the only variant that has a different input shaft that I can think of though.

So, in general, if your particular motor used one of these, you could obtain the bell housing, torque converter and flexplate for that motor/tranny combo, and bolt it to any other A340 variant. Use a Toy A340F to run Toy t-cases and Marlin crawlers. Use a Jeep AW4 for NV/NP t-cases, Klune-V's, Atlas II's, Dana 300, etc. "

--------------------

"Now, what's really cool about this (and is what pushed me over the edge finally) is the tidbit Jerry dropped that I mentioned earlier. The '03 or '04 Isuzu's now use the AW tranny again behind the 3.5. In doing so, they produced a new bellhousing to mate the two. This bell bolts to the 60 deg Chevy pattern in the 3.5 block. So, after my engine swap, I'll be able to get a bell housing from Isuzu that'll bolt this new drivetrain to my 4.9 Caddy motor. Will need to figure out a torque converter / flexplate for it, but that's a pretty minor issue I think.

This also means that it'll bolt to several engines (Isuzu 3.2/3.5, GM 2.8/3.1/3.4, Isuzu 2.3/2.6, Caddy V8's including the Northstar, the 3.5 Olds shortstar, GM supercharged 3800, multiple Toyota engines including the turbocharged Supra, the Tundra V8, and on and on), all with factory bell housings. These tranny's have a very good reputation for being strong and reliable. But, with big V8 power, a stock tranny may not last long and will need a HD re-build on it. Built this way, it does last behind 600 hp Supra's, and heavy, TRD supercharged 4-Runner/Tacoma/Tundra/Sequoia trucks as well. "

Dan Houlton
houlster@inficad.com

Links to Dans info and Supercharged Buick 3800 swap:

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showf...&fpart=all&vc=1

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showf...&fpart=all&vc=1

Pic 1. Dan Houlton's Isuzu auto bellhousing hooked up to a Buick Supercharged 3800 V6. (Photo by Dan Houlton)

In my internet cruisings I came across this photo of the hind end of a 2005 Jeep Liberty 2.8L Turbo Diesel. When placed next to the bellhousing from a 3.9L V6 AX15 bellhousing, the bolt patterns look suspiciously similar! (That is, the same as the Chrysler Small Block pattern) Hmmm....

Confirmed!

Message from John Fleck:

"Since we make the transmissions, I can verify they are the same bolt pattern. (The same case bolts to the CRD (Diesel) as the 3.7, 4.7, and 5.7L. All of these are the same bell housing pattern as the 5.2 and 5.9L Magnums and LA engines. The CRD engine is made in Italy by a subsidiary but it has Chrysler pattern."