Author Topic: Need Advice on 1997....  (Read 3367 times)

technitom

Need Advice on 1997....
« on: April 21, 2008, 06:09:58 PM »
I'm new to this site and I would like a little input and some opinions on a jeep I'm thinking of buying...

I'm looking at a 1997 wrangler soft top with 90K original miles, 2.5l/5spd, 2" lift , 31"mickey thompson Baja Claws, american racing wheels,  very little rust and very clean.  no serious off roading (hay fields/dirt roads)

is $4000 a fair price??

The last jeep I owned was an old CJ5 over 15 years ago...  I dont know squat about the newer stuff

thanks in advance!

95yjman

Re: Need Advice on 1997....
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 06:32:13 PM »
$4000 seems like a pretty good price.  Seems to have good miles for a 97. If you like it, buy it! :thumb:

technitom

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 06:38:41 PM »
the guy who owns it is gonna bring it by tomorrow so I can take a closer look at it... 

what are key things to look for? (other than the obvious)
...check out 4x4.... put engine under a load and listen...
check out floor boards....  pull mats....

I'm counting on you guys to help me make the best decision...

what are things to watch out for?  be wary of?

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 07:24:04 PM »
the guy who owns it is gonna bring it by tomorrow so I can take a closer look at it... 

what are key things to look for? (other than the obvious)
...check out 4x4.... put engine under a load and listen...
check out floor boards....  pull mats....

I'm counting on you guys to help me make the best decision...

what are things to watch out for?  be wary of?

What I looked for when buying mine was:

First and foremost, RUST!  Look EVERYWHERE!  Especially on the underside on the frame.  Also check where the sportbar goes to the body...

While you are down there, look for signs of heavy offroading (scratching on the skidplates and axles will tell the story here).

Then check the engine.  This is not unlike you would do for any other rig/car/bike/etc; check all the belts, check how the fluids look and ask the last time they were changed (should give you an indication of how the previous owner took care of the engine maintenance), look at the electrical system (some owners do a real crappy job when installing after market stuff, me included!), condition of vacuum lines, and all that...  But most importantly, listen for strange noises.

Make sure the 4WD (hi and low) are working; if the front is not engaging, it is most likely a vacuum problem, but do not assume that it is...

The condition of the top should also be checked; if possible, hose it down and see if there are any leaks.  Not that this would be cause for not purchasing the Jeep, but you can negotiate the price down if it means that you need to buy a new top (this applies for both hard and soft tops!).

Similar to the top, the condition of the tires; if the tires are worn, you will need to replace them, and this is costly, so take it into account.

Also, driving the jeep can tell you if there are any problems (drivetrain vibrations, noises, loose parts, etc). 

From my part, that's about it; I am sure others with more experience will give you more stuff to look at!

Felipe
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

jcsanders79

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 08:01:55 PM »
The TJ doesn't have vacum axles.  I

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 07:32:40 AM »
The TJ doesn't have vacum axles.  I

Oh, yeah...  I was thinking of a YJ...  OOOPS!   :brick:
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Bill M.

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 08:31:59 AM »
Like previously stated... look for all the obvious things..but one word of caution. Be carefull with engaging 4wd *hi or low* on dry pavement. It is cautioned agianst in the owners manual. It states that it can tourque your driveshaft from both axles pulling. For me, it was just an excuse to take my jeep on a small dirt trail before I bought it.... :)

But anywho... only 90k is good for a 97... Ive got a 99 and I just rolled it to 95k. Granted I drive it every day to school.. lol...  :weee:

Does it come with any other modifications? Winches, sound systems, etc?

jcsanders79

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 01:46:55 PM »
Is sound system a modification :puzzled:?  I must be getting old :eek: because that just doesn't appeal to me.

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 02:16:28 PM »
Is sound system a modification :puzzled:?  I must be getting old :eek: because that just doesn't appeal to me.

It is a modification; unfortunately for the installer, it does not increase the cost of the vehicle...

95yjman

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 08:22:26 PM »
I can't even hear my radio most of the time, unless I blast it lol

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 07:53:36 AM »
I can't even hear my radio most of the time, unless I blast it lol

That's why I put 1,000W RMS on mine...  Even with no top on the highway, I have to turn down the power!!! :blbl:

Although I would never spend the big bucks on a sound system (my components were either free or dirt cheap because I used samples or B-Stock), I really appreciate all the people that do, and would encourage everyone to do so!!!!  After all, that is what pays for my salary!!!

Felipe

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 11:58:08 PM »
CHECK THE ENGINE COMPLETELY!!!!!!!

Take it from me man, i got SCREWED real bad buying mine-just check all my previous posts lol.  i took it for a drive and everything, checked it completely over for rust and stuff-but i was still screwed.  She was running when i got there and i asked him to cut the engine and start her back up for me...i should have waited for it to cool down and then started it myself- i would have noticed then and there that the engine was on its way out (85,000 miles) and required you to pump the gas pedal and floor it to start it...my mistake cost me a brand new head when she broke down 4 days later---and then a whole long block engine when she finally gave in a mere week after the head was put in.

oh and one more thing...the folks on this site know way more than you could ever imagine...a lot of the advice i received here has really helped me out of my jam..so if ya dont know much about TJs now, just ask...ive gone to bed much less stupid since joining this forum lol
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

jcsanders79

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 07:27:11 AM »
CHECK THE ENGINE COMPLETELY!!!!!!!Take it from me man, i got SCREWED real bad buying mine-just check all my previous posts lol.

It could always be worse I had to rebuild my engine and transmissions within 2 month of buy it.  Got it from my boss after he bought it at an action and his wife said no when he brought it home so I still came out ahead even with the rebuilds.  Sad thing is I had big plans to put a V8 in it when the engin blew but couldn't afford it right then.

gunslinger

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 01:02:33 AM »
If everything checks out $4000 is a fair price. Check gas tank skid plate for rust holes. If possible check fuel pressure. I just had to replace fuel pump module on my 97' (burnt wires in module). Mine would run but not good. The skid plate and tank straps were so rusted all had to be replaced (90459 miles). If you buy it flush cooling system and put in a new 180 degree thermostat (heat kills 4 bangers). Also change oil and drive it a couple of hundred miles then change again, I run Lucas oil additive in mine (friction = heat and heat kills). I have had mine five years and love it. Hope it checks out OK, happy Jeepin.

jdb1937

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 05:47:05 AM »
If everything checks out $4000 is a fair price. Check gas tank skid plate for rust holes. If possible check fuel pressure. I just had to replace fuel pump module on my 97' (burnt wires in module). Mine would run but not good. The skid plate and tank straps were so rusted all had to be replaced (90459 miles). If you buy it flush cooling system and put in a new 180 degree thermostat (heat kills 4 bangers). Also change oil and drive it a couple of hundred miles then change again, I run Lucas oil additive in mine (friction = heat and heat kills). I have had mine five years and love it. Hope it checks out OK, happy Jeepin.

This is right on, except when redoing your cooling system - i would drop in the bigger 6 cylinder radiator.  To keep your engine cool, down around 180 degrees -  you will need the big radiator.  Besides, the stock 4 cylinder radiator - with its plastic top and bottom tanks - leaks.  The 6 cylinder radiator - best mod i ever made.  These 4 cyl engines, although great motors, are overworked a bit.  Just like the previous poster- heat kills 'em.  And you can run a compression check to see if heat has already done in the one you have.  If it hasnt - you can keep from having to replace it with these tips.