Author Topic: It never, ever, ever ends, does it?  (Read 2430 times)

Offline TahoeYJ

• How can I reech theese kids?
It never, ever, ever ends, does it?
« on: March 03, 2009, 10:31:32 AM »
Jeeps repairs that is  :rant:

My D35 started making noises the other day after driving to San Francisco to pick a friend up at the airport. Checked things out Sunday morning, noticed the first u-joint after my t-case on my rear DS was bad. Took it to a shop where I was hoping to get away with a simple $15 u-joint and $15 labor to install it. That quickly turned into a more or less full rebuild, as the back half of the shaft was sort of worn out (I bought the thing used a year ago, so I guess it's not surprising). Ran me a hair over $180...

And like I said above... My D35 is making noises... I think it's bearings, and my pinion seems to have more slop than it should... Great.... But- I did my research and found out my Ford 9" I've had sitting for over a year now doesn't require a carrier break, so I can get away with gears/install kit for under $250  :smokes:

Tranny still needs to be reworked... I'm going to pick up my old one today and start tearing it down, hopefully I can use internals from my current one and old one to build one decent one until I can aford a swap...

Also, all 4 ball joints need to be replaced... I'm looking at ~ $250 for all 4 MOOG replacements... Plus a few extra bones for a HF ball joint press....

And although I don't need it as much as everything else... I'd like to rplace my tierod/drag link and all the ends...

It seriously doesn't stop!  :eek:
92 YJ. Lifted, 4:88's, 9" rear, 4 wheel disks, some armor, some audio, 35" KM2's, and more

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
Re: It never, ever, ever ends, does it?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:38:44 AM »
Does your 9" have a 5 on 4.5 pattern?  And you are way over paying for ball joints.  Not sure if these are Moog, but the last Moog D30 balljoints I bought were $25 a piece

http://completeoffroad.com/i-123665-ball-joints-dana-30-706944x-yj-tj-xj.html
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

Offline TahoeYJ

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 10:43:13 AM »
Does your 9" have a 5 on 4.5 pattern?  And you are way over paying for ball joints.  Not sure if these are Moog, but the last Moog D30 balljoints I bought were $25 a piece

http://completeoffroad.com/i-123665-ball-joints-dana-30-706944x-yj-tj-xj.html

It's 5 on 5.5... I think I'm going to convert it to 5 on 4.5 though... But- in the next couple months when the axle swap comes, that will be a deciding factor. I'm job hunting right now as I just left my old one (I should be out looking right now and not sitting here...).

The cheapest I've seen Moog's online for was about $50 something ea. for lowers or uppers, can't remember which, and $60 something for the others. That was through Summit I think... I was working at a friends shop (Lots of fun, but not much fun when you're not getting paid on time...), his prices for Moogs were a good $15+ more than Summit. I installed some on an XJ and a TJ while I worked there, they made a HUGE difference over what was in the vehicles before.
92 YJ. Lifted, 4:88's, 9" rear, 4 wheel disks, some armor, some audio, 35" KM2's, and more

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck

www.oldjeep.com

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
Chuck P
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck

www.oldjeep.com

Offline TahoeYJ

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
Chuck P
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck

www.oldjeep.com

jcsanders79

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 04:15:17 PM »
Nope it never ends and when its not repairs its upgrades!

Offline TahoeYJ

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 10:25:33 AM »
Upgrades I'm all for, but repairs when I've got to watch my cash, that just sucks  :'(

But on the plus side- After driving around yesterday I realized I have NO MORE DRIVELINE VIBRATIONS!!!  :dance: I've had them for so long that I've just lived with it (As much as I didn't want to), especially at highway speeds. It's extremely smooth now, which makes it  worth the $$$ for the DS repairs.

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 10:43:36 AM »
a Jeep is like a needy woman, needs lots of attention and cash spend on her
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

JeffsJeep

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »
Haha, so true Art. :roflol: