Author Topic: Wideband O2 Sensor  (Read 1610 times)

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
Wideband O2 Sensor
« on: December 19, 2008, 11:10:30 AM »
OK, so I need some education to take me out of my ignorance...

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between a regular O2 sensor and a wideband is, and how it would improve performance?  The only widebands I have seen are the ones you stick inside the tailpipe (IE. separate computer), but I guess there are some widebands that you can use INSTEAD of the regular O2 sensors?  If so, what is the advantage of running these?

Felipe
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline chardrc

Re: Wideband O2 Sensor
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 11:14:40 AM »
my understanding is that they are more accurate making them better for sensing lean / rich conditions and tuning the system if you add a turbo or something drastic..... im sure better descriptions will come with more knowledgeable people.  :stupid:
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 11:43:52 AM »
I understand they have a sort of "pump" in (or out) of the measuring chamber to reduce lag and thus be more accurate from what I have read online (is this right?), but are they interchangeable with the standard O2 sensors?  I mean, can I buy one and stick it in my YJ?  They have more cables (6 cables total) so I dont think so, but I have no idea...

But, if they were, what advantages would I have from runing one of these?
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline VA_YJ

• Now I need a CJ...
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 12:07:09 PM »
From Wikipedia:

A variation on the zirconia sensor, called the 'wideband' sensor, was introduced by Robert Bosch in 1994 but is (as of 2006) used in only a few vehicles. It is based on a planar zirconia element, but also incorporates an electrochemical gas pump. An electronic circuit containing a feedback loop controls the gas pump current to keep the output of the electrochemical cell constant, so that the pump current directly indicates the oxygen content of the exhaust gas. This sensor eliminates the lean-rich cycling inherent in narrow-band sensors, allowing the control unit to adjust the fuel delivery and ignition timing of the engine much more rapidly. In the automotive industry this sensor is also called a UEGO (for Universal Exhaust Gas Oxygen) sensor. UEGO sensors are also commonly used in aftermarket dyno tuning and high-performance driver air-fuel display equipment. The wideband zirconia sensor is used in stratified fuel injection systems, and can now also be used in diesel engines to satisfy the forthcoming EURO and ULEV emission limits.

My understanding is that the wideband is necessary if you have done extensive modifications (e.g., forced induction) that require the sensor to operate outside of its normal range.  Jeffy has commented on the wideband O2 sensors in some past posts, you might want to search.
95 YJ, 31 BFG ATs, 4.0 TB & spacer, Banks header, DynoMax CAT back, 19# inj, AEM CAI, 20 gal mod, Optima yellow
98 TJ, 35 BFG Krawlers, 4.0 liter, ax15, atlas 5:1, armor, Super 88 (under construction)
96 XJ Cheep Cherokee, 33s, 4.0 liter, AW4, future project
89 Waggy, 360 V8 727 dana 44s, it runs

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 12:30:20 PM »
My limited knowledge of o2 sensors is that the wideband is used primarily for a fuel/air mixture gauge on the dash.  I've never heard of using one in place of a stock narrowband sensor.  I'll be using one soon, going to have a 2nd o2 bung added to my Borla header when I install it.

turbolove96

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 10:20:29 AM »
A little new just crossed over from the import world but for a wide band o2 sensor to work properly you would need an after market ecu or a piggyback ecu.  The extra wires on the plug go to the computer for extra tuning capabilities.  I would say probably not the right choice for a 4 banger.  I could be wrong on ll that but that is what my experience has shown.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 08:55:23 PM »
Most AF gauges use a wideband o2 sensor.  There's a new Jet AF meter on the market that appears to piggyback off the OEM narrowband o2 sensor, I may look into getting one.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 09:08:13 PM »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."