Author Topic: distributor help  (Read 752 times)

pioneer4x4

distributor help
« on: July 22, 2009, 05:42:30 PM »
ive got an 86 2.5l xj TBI and was wondering if the distributors ever go bad in these things, i have never replaced it since ive had it, but it is now leaking oil from the base, which the seal probably needs to be replaced, but i read somewhere on this forum where someone had this problem and it was shorting out, dont remember what his problem was, but i have an intermittent problem like not getting gas or spark, sorta boggs down. could this be shorting out on me? is there a way to test to see if distributor works?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: distributor help
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 06:03:31 PM »
ive got an 86 2.5l xj TBI and was wondering if the distributors ever go bad in these things, i have never replaced it since ive had it, but it is now leaking oil from the base, which the seal probably needs to be replaced, but i read somewhere on this forum where someone had this problem and it was shorting out, dont remember what his problem was, but i have an intermittent problem like not getting gas or spark, sorta boggs down. could this be shorting out on me? is there a way to test to see if distributor works?
not sure what the guy you're refering to had problem with - if you're leaking oil between the engine block and the distributor body where the clamp is you are not going to get shorted out or anything - guessing now that in the other case oil made it all the way up inside the distributor (dunno if that is possible but assuming), well in that case yeah, the spark could follow the least resistance path and go heywire - take the distributor cap off and check, if it's dry and clean then you're fine.

EDIT: check your cap, wires, plugs, etc.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 06:10:26 PM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

pioneer4x4

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 06:16:18 PM »
yea already replaced cap, rotor, plugs, cps, oxygen sensor, checked tps, no oil in dis. cap, was gonna replace base gasket anyway because of the leak, just wondered if these distributors go out? it seems very simple in design, but since im gonna have it out anyway, was gonna see if i need a new one? so thats why i was regarding how to test it. do u know how to test it? my check engine light does not work, so i have no way of retrieving codes.d

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 06:22:06 PM »
you can connect to the negative terminal on the coil and monitor the signal with an oscilloscope or a scanner (not sure which kind or how). Same for checking the signal thru the spark plug wires you can have an inductive clamp and monitor the discharges (i think you can just wrap a plain wire around them and you will get a signal) - at a static rpm the spikes should be equally distant and equal in value. otherwise you can monitor the sparks with an advance strobe preferably that has an inductive clamp so you can check the individual wires.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline chardrc

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 09:03:21 PM »
im still on the original distrib on my 1990.. ( i know not very helpful but) as long as the shaft doesn't have excessive play id think it would be ok... as for the check engine light for the tbi's (renix) the computer can't store codes so the light is only used when the emission timer goes on ( basically tells you when your oxy sensor and cat should be changed or something).
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 07:59:34 AM »
Actually, distributors are pretty cheap (replaced mine recently because it was squeaking, bad bearing).  You might as well just change it out along with the gasket.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 BFG MTs, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch