Author Topic: Intake Manifold Grinding  (Read 4552 times)

Offline mrcabinet

Intake Manifold Grinding
« on: September 14, 2009, 01:44:08 PM »
While anxiously awaiting for my 62mm TB from Bounty Hunter, I've been contemplating a different way of grinding out the manifold. Using a dremel obviously works, but it seems messy and would be difficult (for me at least!) to get a nice round hole with. I have a slew of hole saws and was thinking about using the gasket as a pattern to make a jig out of MDF, bolt it to the manifold, and then cut it with a hole saw. This would be perfectly round and decrease the amount of chips flying around.

My only concern is that the closest I have to 62mm is 2 1/2", which is 63.5mm. Would the slightly larger hole be O.K.? Should I trim the gasket opening larger as well? I don't know if the slight lip of the gasket could get sucked inside.
No matter where you're going, there you are.

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
Re: Intake Manifold Grinding
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 02:29:51 PM »
I wouldn't go larger.
The biggest problem I had with the chips was the gas that is inside the manifold. The chips stick to it so it's kinda hard to get them out. You would have the same problem with a hole saw plus you would have the MDF chips too. Just make sure you tape the inside of the opening better than me ;)
If you mark the hole with a sharpie the dremel way can be fairly close to being a perfect circle. If there is some slight imperfections in the circle it's not going to matter that much.
The chips that get on the outside of the manifold vaccume up pretty easily. Whatever you can't get to just hose it all down once it's all back together.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

jdarg

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 04:25:06 PM »
i'd try it, 1.5mm larger is better for flow than a rough azz hole IMHO.\

The only problem is I've never seen a hole saw that runs true. There's also some ribs in there you'll still need to deal with after using the hole cutter.

Dremel w/ stone brings the suck - very slow. Use a Dremel rasp attachment or whatever its called and then follow w/ a stone or sanding drum for evening the hole out once you have it real close w/ the rasp. Even the rasp is slow going but a stone alone would take all freaking day.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 04:25:47 PM by jdarg »

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 04:37:41 PM »
i'd try it, 1.5mm larger is better for flow than a rough azz hole IMHO.\

The only problem is I've never seen a hole saw that runs true. There's also some ribs in there you'll still need to deal with after using the hole cutter.

Dremel w/ stone brings the suck - very slow. Use a Dremel rasp attachment or whatever its called and then follow w/ a stone or sanding drum for evening the hole out once you have it real close w/ the rasp. Even the rasp is slow going but a stone alone would take all freaking day.

There is 4 ribs that you get into a little.
The dremel with a rasp cuts the AL pretty fast. If you follow your line that you marked the edge is not ragged.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 07:36:05 PM »
did you guys remove the manifold to bore it out or did you just bore with it on the engine and stuffed the hole to catch all the junk?
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 07:44:02 PM »
did you guys remove the manifold to bore it out or did you just bore with it on the engine and stuffed the hole to catch all the junk?

Not to sound weird but, I just stuffed my hole  :lol:
Scott~

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 10:34:07 PM »
While anxiously awaiting for my 62mm TB from Bounty Hunter, I've been contemplating a different way of grinding out the manifold. Using a dremel obviously works, but it seems messy and would be difficult (for me at least!) to get a nice round hole with. I have a slew of hole saws and was thinking about using the gasket as a pattern to make a jig out of MDF, bolt it to the manifold, and then cut it with a hole saw. This would be perfectly round and decrease the amount of chips flying around.

My only concern is that the closest I have to 62mm is 2 1/2", which is 63.5mm. Would the slightly larger hole be O.K.? Should I trim the gasket opening larger as well? I don't know if the slight lip of the gasket could get sucked inside.

i was actually planning to do the same thing - use the 2-1/2'' bimetal holesaw - cuts fairly accurate, maybe 1/16 over 2-1/2 you just gave me a better idea how to do it with the mdf (EDIT:  :clap:) but i will use 5/8 plywood that i have around (i was planning to try and use a flat bar inside the opening bolted thru 2 of the holes with some longer 4mm metric bolts and use it to center the holesaw, but this way is easier, it would center itself on the inside of the plywood) - if i get around to do it before you bore out yours i'll let you know how it goes
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:34:46 PM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 11:51:17 PM »
I would use a 2" sanding drum and work slowly.  Cutting it to 2.5" leaves no margin for errors especially if you're using a hand drill.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

haulincats

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 07:10:46 AM »
I'm sorry but I have to ask........what is an MDF ?
Thanks,
Vance

Jesse-James

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 07:13:48 AM »
Medium density fiberboard

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 08:12:44 AM »
like he ^ said - it is commonly used in painted kitchen cabinet doors (and even the cabinets themselves). Also, it is used for boom boxes and speaker boxes as it is very easy and friendly to the router bits (you can use routers to give it various profile edges) and it can be glued with no seam. Can be painted and also can be covered with fabric.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 09:44:07 AM »
just the intake port needs to be enlarged correct?
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 09:59:06 AM »
just the intake port needs to be enlarged correct?

Where the TB and the manifold meet.

http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php/topic,6008.0.html  (from the FAQ's)
Scott~

Offline mrcabinet

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 09:28:44 AM »
I was rummaging around in the shop today and came across a 2 3/8" hole saw. That equates to 60.325 mm. The hole will probably "run-out" some during the cut, so I'll just use that then a sanding drum to get to 62mm. Hmmm, I do have a cylinder hone. Maybe that would do for the final grind.

I have about 60 sheets of 3/4" MDF, so I'll most likely use that as my guide and countersink the bolt holes so I don't have to buy longer ones.
No matter where you're going, there you are.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 09:47:34 AM »
like he ^ said - it is commonly used in painted kitchen cabinet doors (and even the cabinets themselves). Also, it is used for boom boxes and speaker boxes as it is very easy and friendly to the router bits (you can use routers to give it various profile edges) and it can be glued with no seam. Can be painted and also can be covered with fabric.

it's fun to quote myself - i just realized his nickname is mrCabinet - :lol:

i guess no question why the extra MDF lying around...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 09:48:33 AM by sharpxmen »