Author Topic: Rear brakes  (Read 674 times)

TrailsLessTaken

Rear brakes
« on: September 29, 2009, 05:12:51 PM »
Anybody have any tips or insight on adjusting the adjusters for the rear brakes.  I got the shoes set out far enough that it's kind of tight when you slide the drum on.  How do the adjusters tighten up on these jeeps.  Is it a deal that when you set the parking brake it does it or back up while hitting the brakes or something

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Rear brakes
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 05:28:57 PM »
Back up and stab the brakes a few times.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Jesse-James

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 05:39:48 PM »
Pull the little plug on the back plate and use a screwdriver to turn the adjuster. Auto adjusters don't work for shit.

TrailsLessTaken

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 07:51:24 PM »
Well I got the adjusters free'd up an regreased so i will try messin with that tomorrow or thursday some more.  I tried just putting the parking brake on and off on the one wheel i worked on, and that seemed to tighten it up some.  It will be nice to have a parking brake on the trail and not have to worry about it rollin off on its own

jdarg

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 09:20:45 AM »
Nobody asked...are you rear brakes drum or disc w/ a drum-in-hat parking brake?

If disc w/ drum-in-hat use a screwdriver (or the right tool) through the access hole on the back of the shield...they are not self adjusting at all and onyl wear when you drive around w/ the ebrake on.

If drum, the adjusters have to be able to be spun by hand w/ no resistance when they are off the brake assembly. If they don't try greasing them and see if they free up then. If they are too far gone and still can't be easily spun replace them or the brakes won't self adjust properly.

These parts should typically be relaced every 1-2 brake jobs...they aren't meant to last the life of the vehicle unless you diligently keep greasing them.

TrailsLessTaken

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 01:31:15 PM »
Theyre just regular drums, i havent upgraded the brakes yet