Author Topic: Does this sound like a misfire/dead spark plug to you?  (Read 4816 times)

Sine Deviance

Does this sound like a misfire/dead spark plug to you?
« on: March 01, 2010, 03:30:28 PM »
Hey all... so now it seems my problem is not actually pinging, but maybe something as simple as a misfire. I recorded an audio clip of my engine under load and let a few people listen to it for their opinion. Please listen to it and tell me what you think?

http://www.filefront.com/15716805/engine.mp3

EDIT: Don't forget to turn your volume up just a little.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 03:30:58 PM by Sine Deviance »

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
Re: Does this sound like a misfire/dead spark plug to you?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 04:05:22 PM »
Hey all... so now it seems my problem is not actually pinging, but maybe something as simple as a misfire. I recorded an audio clip of my engine under load and let a few people listen to it for their opinion. Please listen to it and tell me what you think?

http://www.filefront.com/15716805/engine.mp3

EDIT: Don't forget to turn your volume up just a little.

all i can hear is some exhaust manifold leak, sounds like a broken or loose stud/bolt (or some gasket portion burned out and not sealing)  or a crack on one of the 4. Other than that all sounds normal to me (aside of your seat squeaking :lol:)
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 04:11:54 PM »
Sounds like you need some practice driving a stick, otherwise it sounds like my jeep
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

Sine Deviance

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 07:45:44 PM »
I jiggled all the plug wires and made sure they were all on tight. One of them was actually stuck between the block and a loom. Engine runs much smoother now and seems to have a bit more pep. It looks like I've only been running on three cylinders and that's where the sound was coming from. Definitely misfiring and maybe a bit of crossfire. I think crossfire hitting the block from that one wire would be where the ticking noise was coming from, and the chugging/vibration could easily have been a dead cylinder. Can't believe I didn't figure this out earlier. I'll replace the plugs/wires/rotor/cap and let you guys know what happens.

all i can hear is some exhaust manifold leak, sounds like a broken or loose stud/bolt (or some gasket portion burned out and not sealing) or a crack on one of the 4.

I think you were 'hearing' my intake. It's open so it's louder than OEM. As far as I know I don't have any exhaust leaks, and plus, since when does an exhaust manifold leak make a clicking sound? I guess you didn't hear the clicking sound and the chugging that gets faster as RPM goes up? Try turning your volume up.

Sounds like you need some practice driving a stick, otherwise it sounds like my jeep

Sounds like you should have known I was driving that way on purpose to put heavy load on the engine and reproduce the sound so I could record it. I don't normally drive that way and I take your implication as an insult.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 07:52:57 PM by Sine Deviance »

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 08:25:53 PM »

I think you were 'hearing' my intake. It's open so it's louder than OEM. As far as I know I don't have any exhaust leaks, and plus, since when does an exhaust manifold leak make a clicking sound? I guess you didn't hear the clicking sound and the chugging that gets faster as RPM goes up? Try turning your volume up.

nope, what i heard was a distinct 1 cyl exhaust popping (and i had the volume up high) - now, it might have been your 1 cyl misfiring, so if you do another mp3 i can tell you if i still hear it. I did not hear any pinging/knocking nor any other clicking noises, but the 1 cyl exhaust popping can be mistaken with clicking/clunking
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Sine Deviance

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 09:55:31 PM »
nope, what i heard was a distinct 1 cyl exhaust popping (and i had the volume up high) - now, it might have been your 1 cyl misfiring, so if you do another mp3 i can tell you if i still hear it. I did not hear any pinging/knocking nor any other clicking noises, but the 1 cyl exhaust popping can be mistaken with clicking/clunking

Hmm... but why would the sound practically go away after making sure the plug wire connections were tight?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 10:17:37 PM »
Hmm... but why would the sound practically go away after making sure the plug wire connections were tight?

it might be that i was hearing a misfire and confused that with a exhaust popping sound at one of the cylinders - the sound pattern would be the same but it's had to tell, i mean that mp3 was not really hi-fi recording.

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 08:16:57 AM »
Sounds like you should have known I was driving that way on purpose to put heavy load on the engine and reproduce the sound so I could record it. I don't normally drive that way and I take your implication as an insult.

If you want to put a heavy load on an engine you lug it not rev it.
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 08:48:02 AM »
If you want to put a heavy load on an engine you lug it not rev it.
guys, come on

I understand what you mean but i think he was trying to get the right sounds of the engine in his recording, probably he wouldn't have taken offense if you would have just said this and not the other comment

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 08:51:52 AM »
You might as well just replace the plugs if you suspect one or more are bad.  They don't cost much compared to other things on Jeeps.

'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 BFG MTs, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 09:41:23 AM »
Going to actually get up into the 40's this weekend here...going to change my plugs as well...and hopefully my DC Control fan control unit arrives this week so I can get that done as well.
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

Sine Deviance

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 10:40:24 AM »
it might be that i was hearing a misfire and confused that with a exhaust popping sound at one of the cylinders - the sound pattern would be the same but it's had to tell, i mean that mp3 was not really hi-fi recording.

Yeah... that mp3 was the best I could get unfortunately. I had to record from inside the Jeep. I do have to say that iPhones seem to have pretty damn good mics :biggrin:

You might as well just replace the plugs if you suspect one or more are bad.  They don't cost much compared to other things on Jeeps.

Yeah, I'm still working on it. I'm still trying to locate the plugs I want. Someone suggested I try Summit Racing but even they don't carry them.

Going to actually get up into the 40's this weekend here...going to change my plugs as well...and hopefully my DC Control fan control unit arrives this week so I can get that done as well.

It's actually snowing here right now. Pouring too. We're supposed to get 2-5 inches.

I can't wait for spring.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 10:46:02 AM »

Yeah, I'm still working on it. I'm still trying to locate the plugs I want. Someone suggested I try Summit Racing but even they don't carry them.

i end up ordering 4 ZFR7F from that guy on ebay (i posted the link on your other thread) - i offered $1.50/plug and was accepted - it came to $10.66 shipped so that's a pretty good deal. there is no FR7-1 unfortunately and these ones are the closest you can get to the stock and 2 heat range colder. I also posted a link to NGK advanced tuner search.

Sine Deviance

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 01:34:04 PM »
i end up ordering 4 ZFR7F from that guy on ebay (i posted the link on your other thread) - i offered $1.50/plug and was accepted - it came to $10.66 shipped so that's a pretty good deal. there is no FR7-1 unfortunately and these ones are the closest you can get to the stock and 2 heat range colder. I also posted a link to NGK advanced tuner search.

So the ZFR7F's fit perfectly?

I'm still trying to find a local place to buy them. I don't want to order them online and wait a week.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 01:35:23 PM by Sine Deviance »

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 01:53:08 PM »
So the ZFR7F's fit perfectly?

I'm still trying to find a local place to buy them. I don't want to order them online and wait a week.

i used that search and i put in heat range 7, 5/8 wrench, 14mm thread, 3/4'' reach, extended projected tip and resistor type - the ZFR7F came up as one of them, i looked at the specs in more info and seems to be the right ones - once i get them i can tell you for sure if there are any diffs but that's what i went by. The BPR7ES i bought before are only listed as projected tip (not extended) and the wrench size is larger (13/16 i think).