Author Topic: Welders  (Read 30454 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Welders
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 04:55:23 PM »
we have a Hobart Handler 140 115v, good little mig, use it with shielding gas.. only regret is that its not 230V.  the auto dimming hoods are definitely nice if you can afford it when starting out.
I hear that from a lot from my friends who did it the hard way.  230v is what I'm looking for.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 05:52:18 PM by Jeffy »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 05:05:07 PM »
I hear that a lot from my friends who did it the hard way.  230v is what I'm looking for.

I guess it all depends on what your welding. If a lot of thicker stuff is what you are going to be doing then a 220V is what you need. Most of the stuff on a Jeep project is going to be 3/16 or less. Running flux on a GOOD 110V machine should handle this. I like the ability to throw the welder in the Jeep and take to other peoples houses to do repair work, or whatever. I have repaired a number of fences/gates for people.

But I must admit a Miller/Lincoln 185 machine would be nice for my needs.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 05:08:39 PM »
I guess it all depends on what your welding. If a lot of thicker stuff is what you are going to be doing then a 220V is what you need. Most of the stuff on a Jeep project is going to be 3/16 or less. Running flux on a GOOD 110V machine should handle this. I like the ability to throw the welder in the Jeep and take to other peoples houses to do repair work, or whatever. I have repaired a number of fences/gates for people.

But I must admit a Miller/Lincoln 185 machine would be nice for my needs.
How about stuff like axles?  I'm sure most of the 230v people are talking about using gas and not flux.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 05:21:03 PM »
we have a Hobart Handler 140 115v, good little mig, use it with shielding gas.. only regret is that its not 230V.  the auto dimming hoods are definitely nice if you can afford it when starting out.

$38 shipped off ebay, works ok but is no queen (does the job but compared to the Miller one the guy that does my aluminum welding is quite a difference). I bought one with the adjustments on the sides, makes it easier not to take it off if the light reflects into the visor and it darkens before you start welding.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 05:27:32 PM »
How about stuff like axles?  I'm sure most of the 230v people are talking about using gas and not flux.

Axle brackets/shock mounts etc. can be done with a 110V machine using flux. WITH a good machine like the 135-140 Lincoln-Miller-Hobart. The machines that are sold at your local big box hardware store and not the same as the ones bought thru a welding shop. The ones at the welding store costs more...there are reasons for this.

The 230V crowd for the most part uses gas. The have enough grunt with a big machine to be able to get nice hot welds. No real reason not to run gas unless your outside doing most of your welding. The 110V machines on gas don't have the power to burn thicker material. Unless your are doing thin sheet metal type/body work. Personally I would weld anything thicker than 1/8 on a 110V machine on gas. Just my opinion. YMMV.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 05:38:04 PM »
$38 shipped off ebay, works ok but is no queen (does the job but compared to the Miller one the guy that does my aluminum welding is quite a difference). I bought one with the adjustments on the sides, makes it easier not to take it off if the light reflects into the visor and it darkens before you start welding.

Personally I say don't go cheap on a hood.(you only have 2 eyes and replacements are not avail) Ya you can spend some serious money on a hood. If you make a living welding the high class hoods is what I would be using. My Jackson is more of a entry level hood for a auto darkening one IIRC it was about $125 from my local welding store. I am sure they are cheaper online. Mine is a solar powered one. It's great if you weld everyday. But if you don't (raises hand) like me the battery dies. You need to stick it in the sunshine for 10-15 minutes prior to welding or you get flashed. It's worse if weeks and weeks go by since you last welded. Plus it has no shade adjustments. My next hood will run on batteries, and have adjustments.

There is nothing wrong with the old school flip and tips. Get a gold #13 lens and you should be good to go! If you only weld now and again this is a good setup IMO.

Scott~

st.chevrolet

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 06:24:35 PM »
This concurs with what I've been told.

Hobart is not part of Miller and has been for a while now.  It's their value-line.  IIRC, the differences come down to some little things like metal gears, and it has more adjustments.
Stick/Arc welder would also be a good choice as well.  Although, the welds aren't as nice but they are as strong.
Actually both Miller Electric and Hobart Brothers are subsidiaries of the Illinois Tool Co.
As far as stick/arc the welds can be just as nice it depends on the user and electrodes used and Stick,Mig,Tig are all arc welding processes. Stick is a lot harder to master than Mig for most people, but is the best way to learn welding properly. Like I said before if you plan to weld on your vehicle, take a good welding course to learn how to weld properly in all positions -horizontal, vertical, overhead, with whatever process you plan to use.
I am a certified welder and I'm just trying to point you in the right direction, if you would like to see some of the things I've built go here http://www.peerless.ca/products/multiaxle/index.php

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2010, 07:59:10 PM »

As far as stick/arc the welds can be just as nice it depends on the user and electrodes used and Stick,Mig,Tig are all arc welding processes.

x2
I've seen some stick welds done that looked much better than what you can achieve with a mig (done by a pro welder that was doing that 8 hrs/day).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010, 08:04:55 PM »
The first bumper that I made for the rear of the Jeep was welded by a buddy on mine with a stick welder. He learned in a welding class. I was amazed how they looked. Plus the cuts he could make with a gas axe (oxy torch) was amazing!

Arc welding has it's advantages. Lots of rod choices,can be done with batteries on the trail, very strong welds. Like Bounty said with the nickel rods you can do cast.
Scott~

97 TJ - I dont wave

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2010, 08:57:06 PM »
I am in the market for a new welder.
I have my eyes set on either a Miller 180 with autoset $800.00 (Ebay) or the Lincoln 180 $639.00 (on sale at Lowes usually $699.00.)
Is there really a difference between to two other than price?
Thanks for your input.

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2010, 09:50:21 PM »
I am in the market for a new welder.
I have my eyes set on either a Miller 180 with autoset $800.00 (Ebay) or the Lincoln 180 $639.00 (on sale at Lowes usually $699.00.)
Is there really a difference between to two other than price?
Thanks for your input.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/comparisons/millermatic_180.html

This compares the 2 on the same page as well as other welders. On gas the Miller will do 5/16 single pass VS the Lincoln 3/16. Plus I like the infinte settings of the miller VS the 5 presets of the Lincoln.
But is the Miller worth the extra money. Hard to say. I like the fact you can buy the Lincoln consumeables at most stores such as Lowes, HD,Walmart.
Scott~

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 10:00:16 PM »
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/comparisons/millermatic_180.html

This compares the 2 on the same page as well as other welders. On gas the Miller will do 5/16 single pass VS the Lincoln 3/16. Plus I like the infinte settings of the miller VS the 5 presets of the Lincoln.
But is the Miller worth the extra money. Hard to say. I like the fact you can buy the Lincoln consumeables at most stores such as Lowes, HD,Walmart.
All of my friends run Millers either for work or play.  I do like the infinite settings.  I had my rear axle welded up on a Miller.  The front axle was all stick.  I don't remember what brand welder it was.  Some misc. parts were also done on a Miller.  Generally they will cost around $100-150 more but seem to be worth it.

On another note, I've seen some Lincolns branded as Home Depot with the HD on the end of the model number.  Then there are all of the different Weldpak's as well.  Are the weldpaks just a package deal with the 140/180 welders?  IIRC, they are called Weldpak 100 or something. 

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 10:06:33 PM »
I my welding class 95% of the MIG welders were Miller. Not sure why.
I thought the weldpak is a budget version for the hardware store market and are not the same as the other models in the same rating.
The Smartstart on the Miller is cool! Very nice for easy set ups and what not. :thumbsup:
Scott~

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 10:13:52 PM »
I my welding class 95% of the MIG welders were Miller. Not sure why.
I thought the weldpak is a budget version for the hardware store market and are not the same as the other models in the same rating.
The Smartstart on the Miller is cool! Very nice for easy set ups and what not. :thumbsup:
That's what I thought but wasn't completely sure.

The Millers seem to be the ones to get if you can afford them.  I've seen the 140 on ebay for $664 and the 180 for $799.

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2010, 10:19:10 PM »
That's what I thought but wasn't completely sure.

The Millers seem to be the ones to get if you can afford them.  I've seen the 140 on ebay for $664 and the 180 for $799.

You do enough stuff yourself VS buying stuff and it pays for itself in a hurry! I always told myself if I bought a welder it would be a Miller. Some say just pick a color and buy that one. I guess it depends on how much your gonna use it and what you are using it for.

**NOTE** I was gonna start a thread like this this morning, you beat me to it! :finger:
Scott~