Author Topic: Rugged Ridge TJ 2.5 CAI Review  (Read 4221 times)

Offline aparke4

Rugged Ridge TJ 2.5 CAI Review
« on: June 15, 2010, 08:42:40 PM »
SO I got a killer deal on one of these units and decided to go ahead and install it. I have installed many a intakes on numerous jeeps. I have always been weary of the cheaper made aluminum intake types but the RR does include a partitioned filter housing to block of engine heat and a oil less dry filter. Pretty cool.

The package arrived with cheap bubble wrap and ZERO instructions! The install is very straight forward and the instructions are online but no instructions kinda got under my skin. For someone doing this the very first time that is uncalled for. Anyways, it comes with filter, aluminum pipe, silicon adapter to go from throttle body to pipe, heat shield and some other fittings.

http://www.ruggedridgeoffroad.com/jeep-intakes.php

So I took of the stock intake equipment and went to work. The heat shield installs with one bolt from the radiator support, a bolt nut and washer through one of the previous stock air filter box holes and a ZIP TIE TO THE GRILL SUPPORT. AH! Poor execution. There are about a million ways which are all better to connect to that rod but RR skimped out - put a tab with a hole and threw in a zip tie to save money?! I guess ?! ... Kind of weak considering the kit is about 165 $ . Anyways, the heatshield seals against hood with a weather strip very well and the heat shield fit great. Very stout and fit perfect.

The pipe fit where it was supposed to but the connecting tab on the pipe the bolts to a rubber stud included in the kit was about 2 inches short. Granted it is not going anywhere but that kinda made me mad again. The silicon adapter that hooks up to the throttle body does not flex too well so there was not much room to push it over. So, in RR fashion I zip tied the AL tube again to the grill support rod and it fits great/ is mounted solid. I also had a new AEM dry flow filter that I used instead of the supplied no name dry flow filter. I have used these on all my vehicles and they rock! Zero maintenance and clean like if not better than an oiled filter. After that I buttoned up the supplied cover vent breather tube and screwed down all the clamps and took her for a test drive.

My Personal Opinions After Test Drive.

Idle still smooth - no change.

Slight Increase in Acceleration through out the gear range.

LOUD - not whistle but roaring... 1st gear ok but 2 - 3 - 4 are loud. You can hear the air getting sucked through - the AEM do have that quality but this was way louder than my XJ's with 4.0. I am not sure I like this. The 2.5 4 banger is my DD so I am going to drive it for a month and check back in. I have currently stock exhaust --> going to hi flow magnaflow cat and 4wd 2.5 turbo cat back. I know this will help the motor breathe. My decrease noise from engine. maybe.

other than that it was pretty painless. the tube running across the motor might get a heat wrap since it is so exposed. I am adding a 4.0 bored TB so that might effect air sound as well. Most people think intakes on TJ's do not do much but i am going to try this guy out for a bit. I had stock intake with paper filter and the design is way less restrictive.

Pics to come shorty!!

Offline aparke4

Re: Rugged Ridge TJ 2.5 CAI Review
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 08:45:41 PM »
* note: the slot in the heatshield is for the radiator/ support for. Mine did not line up in the previous owner installed a new stock aftermarket rad. No big deal with fit through.

Offline aparke4

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 11:02:27 PM »
Pics:

Offline aparke4

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 11:04:12 PM »

Offline aparke4

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 11:28:12 PM »

Torch_Ind

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 03:41:06 PM »
looks nice anyway

Offline aparke4

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 11:02:23 AM »
Thanks!

For the price I was somewhat disappointed with the AL pipe's tab being an inch off or so for the rubber stud.

Drove all yesterday and the engine noise seems to blend in now with the jeep - I am new to wranglers and have to remember the soft top is not a true cab. Still present though.

There seems to be a little more pep in the gas pedal. For MPG's I will report back in a bit after other mods are done.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 09:23:06 PM »
that is a really nice pipe, regardless of the filter you still gain flow just by using that smooth pipe with mandrel bends. I wish they had a back screen plate as well, that would have just made it perfect.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline aparke4

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 06:26:40 PM »
that is a really nice pipe, regardless of the filter you still gain flow just by using that smooth pipe with mandrel bends. I wish they had a back screen plate as well, that would have just made it perfect.

ah to box the filter in. There is not too much room but I will look at it tonight and see if there is anyway to make that work.

98Ss1LWEE

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 11:07:22 PM »
Any Follow-up on the INtake? What do you think? too Loud?

Offline aparke4

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 06:23:45 AM »
before my cat back exhaust compared to the stock plastic yes it is loud and very noticable in the cab. The intake also effects the tone of the exhaust as well. For a jeep and having been a jeeper for years I knew what I was getting into. I also have the AEM dryflow filter and it might be louder than the oiled k and n style filter that came with the kit.

On a side note: The tubing has a couple of good wear spots against the heat shield. it will need to be wrapped so it does cut into the pipe anymore than it has.