Author Topic: Blackbox i is now avail.  (Read 1901 times)

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
Blackbox i is now avail.
« on: August 03, 2010, 09:28:17 PM »
http://www.northwestfab.com/blackbox-i.html
Pretty neat setup. It would be nice to have a 2.7 or 4.0 option. It's only in 2.7
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
Re: Blackbox i is now avail.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 09:36:21 PM »
http://www.northwestfab.com/blackbox-i.html
Pretty neat setup. It would be nice to have a 2.7 or 4.0 option. It's only in 2.7

that is cool, i don't get why not be a 4:1, they would sell more of them that way - compare that to a 4:1 kit would make more sense and have 3 low ranges. This way you really only get 2 of them.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:44:29 PM »
that is cool, i don't get why not be a 4:1, they would sell more of them that way - compare that to a 4:1 kit would make more sense and have 3 low ranges. This way you really only get 2 of them.

It either a cost or who's 4:1 set to run. The Tera stuff is not all that good. To many failures! Maybe the Rubi gear sets are to spendy.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 10:56:45 PM »
It either a cost or who's 4:1 set to run. The Tera stuff is not all that good. To many failures! Maybe the Rubi gear sets are to spendy.

the rubi gears are way larger compared to the 231 ones. I found a busted rubi case at the junkyard and i wanted to snatch the planetary and the shaft out of it to see if i can make a reduction box but we didn't agree on price. the other problem is that the ring gear is something like 10'' in diameter and if i want to make a casing for that it wouldn't fit my lathe (10'' is the max i can have on it). I wish i can find some 4:1 in the same size as the 231 planetary that won't cost a fortune.

on the other hand the rubi planetary is super strong - if he comes down to $50 from $100 he wants i'll go for it, would be a nice project sometime in the next 5 years :lol:
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline jagular7

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 07:20:48 AM »
What is nice about this option is the capability to toss in a tcase that wouldn't bolt in directly into the application. You can use this as an adapter to mate a tcase to a trans. The trans still has to be a 4wd trans with the round 6 bolt pattern.
Klune is a competitor for this as they have something very similar in capability and its actually cheaper as well.
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

Torch_Ind

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 09:43:07 AM »
would be nice if it worked or they offered one for the np231 stock t-case

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 09:54:47 AM »
would be nice if it worked or they offered one for the np231 stock t-case

The regular black box will work. But the length will be longer since it won't be intergrated. http://www.northwestfab.com/blackbox.html It's like a Klune but a bit longer and only avail in 2.7...and it's black.
Scott~

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 12:24:37 PM »
AA did some R&D on a 2.x:1 box (8 yrs ago?) that was only 4" as well but they never came out with it.  AA said they couldn't use 4:1 because of the size constraints.  What some Magazines were speculation is that you could use this instead of gears. for those moving up in tire size to give you a small underdrive.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
It looks like the Klune beats it when coupled to a 231.  It looks good for those running other transfer cases.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 BFG MTs, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 02:33:09 PM »
It looks like the Klune beats it when coupled to a 231.  It looks good for those running other transfer cases.
I know 2 people that run a Klune in front of their 231. Neither of them have had a single issue with the 231. This is after a number of years and countless miles of wheeling. Some of which is the big rocks type trails. Neither have the wide chain. Both have the stock 2.7 gearing inthe 231 with a 4:1 Klune. Looking back I would prolly have done a SS SYE and kept my 231. It would have saved me close to $1K.
If your still thinking about a Klune/231 set up I say do it. Just have a SS SYE so you don't have driveshaft angle issues.
Scott~

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 04:31:47 PM »
Sounds very tempting with the good reliability you mention.  I´ll look into the exact numbers on the driveshaft length change when adding the Klune and going from normal SYE to SS SYE.  It would sure be cheaper than an Atlas 4sp and the gearing options would be a bit better too.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 BFG MTs, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch