Author Topic: valve train troublshooting  (Read 2681 times)

Offline grumpygy

Re: valve train troublshooting
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 04:07:58 PM »
Time for a V8
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

SDWE61988

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 06:30:49 AM »
I wish I had the money for a V8 conversion!  The AX5 is not is great shape either,  2nd gear synco is rough.  I need to figure out a way to sell that plan to the wife.  That would be a tough sell. 

SDWE61988

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 05:39:15 PM »
here is the piston

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 08:28:23 PM »
here is the piston

well, for what is worth you're better than with a rod. cylinder looks fine from what i can tell but you should run your fingertips over and see if you feel any vertical streaks.

look at the side of your block, there are some numbers there that tell you the year of manufacturing, you could try and match that. there are also some other numbers somewhere around the distributor that would tell you which tolerances have been used (some came with cylinders slightly larger so they used o/s pistons to match, there were some mismatched installed bearings as well, keep yours if not using new don't use the takeout ones if that would come with the piston and rod if you go that route) - can't remember exactly where it was located but i can have a look later tonight in the FSM and let you know.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

SDWE61988

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 09:16:11 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  This engine is out of a 1997 jeep.  If I replace the pistons and hone the cylinders, will I need to get oversize psitons or will standard size pistons still work?  I have changed out engines in the past and replaced a crankshaft in another vehicle, but ai have never changed out pistons.    I just want to see if I can get this rig back on the road before the snow flies here in MD. 

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 10:03:01 PM »
If there isn't a bad ridge in the cylinder wall, you could just swap a piston cover the crank up good do a quicky deglaze job with a hone. Wash the engine out really good to get rid of the grit and reassemble. Would not hurt to take one other piston out remove the rings then stick it upside down in the cylinder with a thin feeler gauge   that had the broken piston and see what the clearance is check for specs then turn the piston 90 degrees and measure again if the cyl is not to badly out of round and the clearance is within spec just replace the one piston, re ring the rest and call it a day.
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 11:10:08 PM »
If there isn't a bad ridge in the cylinder wall, you could just swap a piston cover the crank up good do a quicky deglaze job with a hone. Wash the engine out really good to get rid of the grit and reassemble. Would not hurt to take one other piston out remove the rings then stick it upside down in the cylinder with a thin feeler gauge   that had the broken piston and see what the clearance is check for specs then turn the piston 90 degrees and measure again if the cyl is not to badly out of round and the clearance is within spec just replace the one piston, re ring the rest and call it a day.

x2 - not a bad idea to re-ring with standard ones, they're cheap.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

SDWE61988

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2011, 06:44:36 AM »
Thanks again for all the advice everyone.  I am going to look around for pistons etc.  It may be after xmas before I get this rig repaired.  I will provide updates.  I guess start a new thread since it is no longer "valve train troubleshooting"