Author Topic: Just checking cost of head rebuild  (Read 1014 times)

Offline grumpygy

Just checking cost of head rebuild
« on: October 14, 2011, 06:35:24 PM »
  To see if I did good,  local shop work he does is great.  Had a Broken bolt taken care of and it required a Heli coil cause of some one before me trying to drill it out.  Head and manifold surface were milled to level.  Valves and seat were ground and new Valve seals were installed.  Hot tanked and even painted.  All new freeze plugs were installed.

$100
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline grumpygy

Re: Just checking cost of head rebuild
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 07:26:37 PM »
I also should havew asked the price.  But he told me he can get cams reground.  Has a freind who does cam regrinds.

The guy who did mine is know for doing performance work on engines.

Half tempted to get another engine and see what we can come up with.

Nicks92jeeper

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 08:13:42 PM »
Sounds like a pretty good deal. I had my head cleaned, plained to level and it cost me 90.00. I did the valve seals, reset the valves and did a port and polish. The guy I went to also pulled out a broken manifold bolt.  What are your thought on a port and polish?

Torch_Ind

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 08:33:09 PM »
your comparing prices around the world for labor ?? lol send it to china lol

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 08:33:46 PM »
Sounds like a pretty good deal. I had my head cleaned, plained to level and it cost me 90.00. I did the valve seals, reset the valves and did a port and polish. The guy I went to also pulled out a broken manifold bolt.  What are your thought on a port and polish?

He actually did not believe it will help performance.  Need the rought finish for the turbulence.  He also had a flow meter and after checking several different heads before and after there really was not much of a differance.  But did agree on matching ports of intake and exhaust does show a gain.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 10:01:09 PM »
$100 for all that work is very good price, can't beat that anywhere

as far as flow with port and polish - it makes a lot of difference, now that is relative to what you consider a lot - for example 200cfm vs 220 cfm doesn't seem like a lot but if you're talking VE (volumetric efficiency) that is quite a bit, that 10% is how much more power your engine can make and that's about 12HP for the 4 banger (i'm not saying 220cfm is what our engines are inhaling, just picked that out as an example). and you can actually gain more with a good port and polish job and a good cam. It's painstaking work to get it right though so unless you do it yourself or you have a head that someone wrote a port cnc program for most shops will say they won't do it (comes at a price since there are hours and hours of work). For just a quick surface grind he's right, not much of a difference.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end