Author Topic: Not too technical (stoopid maybe?)  (Read 763 times)

Offline Hunter02

Not too technical (stoopid maybe?)
« on: October 16, 2011, 10:30:12 AM »
I've got a '98TJ with stock bumpers. How in the world do I get the original end-pieces off without damaging the cap screws? MOPAR-MAN wants $60.00 for those 12 screws. They're not rusted down. They just spin after you break them loose. Any ideas?  Jim
PS  I just read the Banks Headers posts. If I was thinking about a $1000 exhaust system for a FOUR cylinder Wrangler, I think I would just go the 4.0l route and be done with it.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: Not too technical (stoopid maybe?)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 10:35:13 AM »
I've got a '98TJ with stock bumpers. How in the world do I get the original end-pieces off without damaging the cap screws? MOPAR-MAN wants $60.00 for those 12 screws. They're not rusted down. They just spin after you break them loose. Any ideas?  Jim

i assume you're asking about the rear, i think you can reach behind the crossmember with a wrench to hold the nut from spinning free.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Hunter02

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 10:51:18 AM »
Just looked again. The end-piece extends about 8 inches past where it attaches to the end of the steel bumper. Can't touch a nut, can't see a nut, and can't put a tool on it.
Jim

Offline jagular7

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 06:19:04 PM »
Being that year or age, I would suspect the clasps will be rusty. You may get lucky and able to unscrew them, or you may break them. If you are wanting to sell the 'milk cartons' (as they are referred to due to being enclosed and plastic), you can look at taking a grinder the head and taking that off. Then the buyer of the cartons will have to figure out how to get the mounting off.

But so what. No one really keeps them anyway, or at least the wheelers I know.  Even on the new JKs, they cut the out tubs off the front bumper making it like a stubby and the rear, they cut the bottom of the tub off to keep debri from damaging the lower body panels. Same for the large wheel flares.

To each their own.
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s