Author Topic: Banks Header  (Read 3005 times)

Offline grumpygy

Re: Banks Header
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 03:46:30 PM »
Wonder if the jeeps they said were cracking were just stock with header added.  Know mine is not running lean but then I have some changes into mine about like most of you have.

My Pacetter is not that old so I would not be a good example.  But still have about 5,000 miles on it now.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Torch_Ind

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 07:41:28 PM »
Wonder if the jeeps they said were cracking were just stock with header added.  Know mine is not running lean but then I have some changes into mine about like most of you have.

My Pacetter is not that old so I would not be a good example.  But still have about 5,000 miles on it now.

I ran mine stock and most I added was bigger throttle body witch if it's was suppose to lean it more air should lean it even more.. 

I really can't see it causing lean..  not to mention if your so lean to the point your cracking exhaust why aren't you doing engine damage?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 07:58:14 PM »
i would just put 3 or 4 tig weld beads and give it a go that way, i can't imagine the pain of keep taking it off and send it for replacement - I did that on my camaro driver side exhaust header, they are known to crack between cylinders, didn't have a problem after that - it is cast so that's even worse than stainless, can't imagine a good weld there to crack again - from what i understand it cracks on the 4 in 1 collector between the pipes, most likely due to the welds that pull apart the collector more since they are thicker and more rigid, tig would also help normalizing like was mentioned before, just use stainless rods (i think i used 308 on mine if memory serves me well). Oh, and don't weld the crack itself, weld a couple of beads on each side of the crack and then put a bead between them, don't let it cool and put another 2 or 3 over the initial ones to cover the width and tie into the collector again and should hold forever.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 09:03:21 PM »
i would just put 3 or 4 tig weld beads and give it a go that way, i can't imagine the pain of keep taking it off and send it for replacement - I did that on my camaro driver side exhaust header, they are known to crack between cylinders, didn't have a problem after that - it is cast so that's even worse than stainless, can't imagine a good weld there to crack again - from what i understand it cracks on the 4 in 1 collector between the pipes, most likely due to the welds that pull apart the collector more since they are thicker and more rigid, tig would also help normalizing like was mentioned before, just use stainless rods (i think i used 308 on mine if memory serves me well). Oh, and don't weld the crack itself, weld a couple of beads on each side of the crack and then put a bead between them, don't let it cool and put another 2 or 3 over the initial ones to cover the width and tie into the collector again and should hold forever.

Another old trick at the end of each crack drill a small hole.  This will stop the crack from moving on.  But hole needs to be small enough the weld will fill it.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Torch_Ind

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 05:10:59 PM »

:thumb: I think the lean comment was cause they didn't want to deal with it anymore for the small demand for them to begin with