Author Topic: Cheap YJ lift  (Read 2404 times)

Riff Raff

Cheap YJ lift
« on: December 18, 2011, 05:01:13 PM »
Just did a experimental lift on my YJ. I was told I could get lift by adding XJ springs to my spring packs. I got 2 sets of Cherokee rear spring packs and disassembled them. I was told to cut the main leaves and use them. But the second leaves were only an inch longer on one end than the XJ springs, so I decided to try them. We took off the springs and opened the clamps and slid the XJ leaves in the YJ packs. After reassembling the Jeep. I gained about 2 inches in the back and about an 1inch and a half in the front. I think I am going to cut the main leaves and put them in the front packs when I get a chance and see if it gets me any more lift than the one I just put in.

Parts:: 2 sets of XJ springs = $0 had them lying around
Labor:: 2 meals for my helper = $12
Time::  about 6 hours

:thumb: :thumbsup: :driving:

Offline aka-justin

Re: Cheap YJ lift
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 06:23:22 PM »
Even Sarah like's pictures...

Where they at?
[1995 YJ 2.5L with 4" lift on 31" KM2 - Sold] 1995yj
[2003 TJ Rubicon 4.0L with 4" lift on 35" Wrangler M/T - Sold]
To be continued...
--Justin

Torch_Ind

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 06:36:11 PM »
good if it was free!!!

Riff Raff

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 06:42:46 PM »
Sorry, I thought everyone knew what leaf springs look like.  ??? Besides, I said it was an experimental lift, if it failed, I wanted no proof it ever happened.

I will say that now the travel is limited by my stock shocks. I will be replacing them with 1995 Ford Ranger rear shocks. They are longer and have the same type of attachments. I will need adaptors for the same shocks to work on the front. But it will still be cheaper than longer YJ shocks.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 09:49:19 PM »
But it will still be cheaper than longer YJ shocks.

YJ shocks are like $30, how much cheaper can they get?

(EDIT: i meant $30 each not the pair).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 09:50:03 PM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 05:48:16 AM »
Great job.  I've done the same thing on a few YJ's using a pair of front YJ spring packs.  Cut the spring eyes off and use the top two leaves of each pack for 1.5" of lift.  Best thing is the Jeep's ride smoothness remains about the same.

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 10:05:04 AM »
It'd cross my mind to buy/rent a sawzall, buy some new blades and maybe remove some sheetmetal around the wheels.  33s or something and no lift.  Course it probably wouldn't look great...
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 10:08:56 AM »
It'd cross my mind to buy/rent a sawzall, buy some new blades and maybe remove some sheetmetal around the wheels.  33s or something and no lift.  Course it probably wouldn't look great...

you'd want an angle grinder and some cutoff wheels, a sawzall will make a big mess out of any sheetmetal you run it thru. Probably a jigsaw would work a bit better but still the angle grinder is the weapon of choice imo.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 02:08:46 PM »
Angle grinder, sweet.   8) 

Yeah, my Sawzall work would be crap, but maybe with a little "practice" on other vehicles.... 

("Muffy look!! ...That's the misanthrope who mutilated Mummy's Maybach!!" )    :naughty:
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor