Author Topic: Pedal noise over bumps  (Read 4760 times)

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
Pedal noise over bumps
« on: January 28, 2012, 07:32:55 PM »
For awhile I noticed I had a pretty bad noise coming from the dash area when I drive over bumps. 

I looked under the dash to check and see if anything was loose and realized that the clutch and brake pedals had some side-to-side play and were probably rattling around, making noise over every road irregularity. 

Looked around elsewhere to see if people had run in to this and what they did to fix it.  Figured whatever was in place to prevent lateral movement of the pedals needed to be adjusted (bolt, whatever). 

Over at Jeepforum, one guy sounded like he was saying that bleeding/refilling the clutch fluid solved his problem, another guy said cutting a piece of rubber material and putting that up in there controlled the side-to-side play, another sounded like he was saying that he pulled everything apart and put it back together and still had problems. 

The under-dash area is pretty small, so looks like I'd have to pull the driver's seat to work on it.   Anyway, noise aint that big a deal and I can live with it, but any of you guys fixed this on yours?
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
Re: Pedal noise over bumps
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 09:47:53 PM »
Chris there are several things that can cause that often pedals have thin bushings in them that wear away also the clutch and brake push rods wear on the pin on the pedal causing the pedals to flop around that those pins can completely wear away or close enough to the point were they will break. The clutch pedal is more prone to that than the brake pedal
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 12:44:29 AM »
Saw what you're saying about bushings, Art.  Was looking at the diagram http://www.4bangerjp.com/fsm/1994/94XJ_06%20-%20Clutch.PDF  on "6-15" ("Clutch," page 15 in the 1994 manual pdf here)  

Looks like there's a bushing on the left side of the clutch pedal where it connects to the rod from the master cylinder.  There's some washers on the pedal shaft; then looks like right side of the brake pedal arm, there's a bolt on the shaft holding the brake pedal arm to the pedal bracket.  Will have to check out the pins or clips see what those are looking like.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 12:54:14 AM by chrisfranklin »
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 02:34:51 AM »
OMIX-ADA Part # 1691922 
you need 2 of them

'buck and a half each at www.rockauto.com, shipping is stupid at about $7.50
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 09:41:08 AM »
there's also a rubber pad on which the pedal rests when not pressed in, check if that is gone or worn out.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 10:15:02 AM »
Looking at your manual pages here is what needs to be checked / replaced
It's right in their text They quote ((1) Lubricate clutch pedal pivot shaft and pedal
bushings or sleeve with Mopar multi-mileage grease.) When you take it apart there is a good change you are going to have to replace clutch pedal, bushings and the shaft it pivots on. The clutch pedal wears a lot more than the brake pedal.

2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 05:16:23 AM »
Starting to recall that I believe I was getting pedal noise a few years ago prior to changing the master cylinder.  Believe I recall after doing that, I was surprised to notice the clutch pedal noise stopped -- might have been a temporary thing though, wasn't keeping track and I forgot about it.  

Might start off with bleeding the clutch fluid, check everything is bolted up right...Probably going to order some bushings, pedal shaft, too.  

How much side-to-side movement of clutch lever, if any, do you guys with manuals see?  I fished around with video camera to get an easy view under the dash; see if i can put that up here.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:45:23 AM by chrisfranklin »

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 06:28:13 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/twVER7mU3pQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/twVER7mU3pQ</a>

(If you watch this in 1080p, it's easier viewing).  

My hand is on the clutch pedal lever -- what's making the noise.  Couldn't recall how much "play" there was supposed to be where the arm attaches with the pin to the clutch pedal lever.   

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:35:05 AM by chrisfranklin »

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 10:08:28 AM »
Both pedals wobble together so the pedal shaft or the sleeve on it is loose also did you check how much play the clutch master cyl pushrod has on the pedal pivot?
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 07:20:36 AM »
Both pedals wobble together so the pedal shaft or the sleeve on it is loose also did you check how much play the clutch master cyl pushrod has on the pedal pivot?

There's a bit of play in where the pushrod connects to the pivot pedal. 

Going to see if there's anything I can tighten up on the right end of the pedal shaft -- maybe that bolt or end-cap on it got loosened up somehow.