Author Topic: Exhaust Manifold Question  (Read 1663 times)

oldskool71

Exhaust Manifold Question
« on: February 18, 2012, 06:43:50 PM »
Was driving the other day heard a pop and then I heard a huge exhaust leak. Long story short it appears this block off plate is now missing from my manifold. Anybody aware of where I may pick one of these up. Im gonna need the plate, bolts, and gasket. It appears to be a Dorman type replacement manifold. Here is a pick of what im refering to. Thank you in advance.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: Exhaust Manifold Question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 08:39:39 PM »
Was driving the other day heard a pop and then I heard a huge exhaust leak. Long story short it appears this block off plate is now missing from my manifold. Anybody aware of where I may pick one of these up. Im gonna need the plate, bolts, and gasket. It appears to be a Dorman type replacement manifold. Here is a pick of what im refering to. Thank you in advance.

1/4'' flat bar x 1/2'' wide by the looks of it, drill 2 holes and you're in business, i wouldn't bother setting a gasket but if you want one you'll have to make it or ask for an EGR gasket at a parts store. as an alternative you might be able to tap the hole in the manifold with 3/8 or 1/2'' NPT and put a plug on it (depending how big is the hole, but if you do that don't tighten too much so you won't crack it). What year is your jeep, seems to have the wrong manifold on it (it's a pre-1990 one if it has the EGR hole in it).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

oldskool71

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 02:51:56 PM »
1/4'' flat bar x 1/2'' wide by the looks of it, drill 2 holes and you're in business, i wouldn't bother setting a gasket but if you want one you'll have to make it or ask for an EGR gasket at a parts store. as an alternative you might be able to tap the hole in the manifold with 3/8 or 1/2'' NPT and put a plug on it (depending how big is the hole, but if you do that don't tighten too much so you won't crack it). What year is your jeep, seems to have the wrong manifold on it (it's a pre-1990 one if it has the EGR hole in it).

It's a 97 with a replacement engine in it. The hole is alreaded threaded and tried to put in a 3/8 plug but just couldn't get it in right. Don't think it is 1/2 but may try that to.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 04:06:34 PM »
It's a 97 with a replacement engine in it. The hole is alreaded threaded and tried to put in a 3/8 plug but just couldn't get it in right. Don't think it is 1/2 but may try that to.

try to run a tap in it to chase the threads (just a little), if 3/8 was goin in at all then 1/2'' NPT won't be even close, it's lot bigger
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 06:47:03 PM »
try to run a tap in it to chase the threads (just a little), if 3/8 was goin in at all then 1/2'' NPT won't be even close, it's lot bigger

Could it be a Metric size.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 07:03:25 PM »
Could it be a Metric size.

i don't think pipe threads are ever metric, but i dunno to be honest.

oldskool71

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 10:34:49 PM »

That's what I thought too. Gonna try and contact the manufacture and see if they will send me the parts. If not may try the plug again. If all else fails I will buy a new one and use it to make a replacement then return it.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 10:46:28 PM »
That's what I thought too. Gonna try and contact the manufacture and see if they will send me the parts. If not may try the plug again. If all else fails I will buy a new one and use it to make a replacement then return it.

take a piece of paper and place it on top of that area, press with your fingers on it and will make a template, fairly simple and you don't need to try and stick some measuring tool in there. you can also put some oil or grease on it and do it with a thicker paper, should reveal the pattern nicely.

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 06:52:07 AM »
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

oldskool71

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 11:57:05 PM »
Well I contacted Dorman and asked if they could send me the parts I need to replace.  The guy was able to find the plate and bolts but not the gasket. So parts are in the mail and I will pick up gasket material from the local parts store. Should be back on the road this weekend. Thank you for all your help.