Author Topic: Back on the road!  (Read 2370 times)

SDWE61988

Re: Back on the road!
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 06:24:20 AM »
Thanks for the advise.  I guess I will hold off a bit on that.  I just filled up again yesterday, (I average 2 - 3 tanks a week!) and the mpg was up to 18.2.  So there is some hope it will get even better.

Offline Tr00b

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 08:30:18 PM »
Dayum... 18 is not bad! Id hit that right about now.

Interesting the mech said port/polish wouldn't help your engine.

Seeing more power than you remember?

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 08:54:45 PM »
Had my head done recently and my local Machinest who does this work also said it was not worth it to port and polish the head may even lose some low end grunt.  Which we really need.  He has almost stoped doing it and he had a flow bench in his place. So he would know.

But he had some Ideas for when I do the block.  To include the cam.  Said he had a guy in Washington State who could regrind it.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 10:27:04 PM »
a good port and polish would take you about $500, so my thinking is they can't charge you that or feel you don't get much for that money, but saying it won't help is absolute bs
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 11:18:27 PM »
Said he had a guy in Washington State who could regrind it.

that's probably Delta Cam, about $60 for a regrind (or something like that, pretty reasonable). only problem is that they keep the stock overlap or they can't change it by much - give them a call, nice guys to deal with and they take the time to explain options. the other issue is that I think you need to get custom length pushrods with a regrind to get the preload back to stock.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

SDWE61988

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 06:32:11 AM »
The jeep feels stronger each day.  She even goes up the hills better.  I do not have to downshift (as much).  I changed to the soft top last night. The nice weather on the east coast has given me spring fever. 
a good port and polish would take you about $500, so my thinking is they can't charge you that or feel you don't get much for that money, but saying it won't help is absolute bs

Had my head done recently and my local Machinest who does this work also said it was not worth it to port and polish the head may even lose some low end grunt.  Which we really need.  He has almost stoped doing it and he had a flow bench in his place. So he would know.

My guy told me the same thing that grumpygy's machinist said: The cost/benefit ratio was not worth what little gain may be made.  Now my hemi in my charger, that is a totaly different story.  Hopefully it wil be a number of years before I have to do that.