Author Topic: welding spider gears in front axle?  (Read 3044 times)

dan684

welding spider gears in front axle?
« on: October 01, 2006, 09:11:22 AM »
i have a 4x4 posi-lock axle engagement on my yj.  this is what 4-wheel parts says about it
--------------------------------
The 4 x 4 Posi-Lok replaces the existing vacuum shift motor with a new manually controlled shifter. The Dana 30 front axle is a two piece axle. When you shift in to 4wd the vacuum shift motor will slide a collar over the gap between the two shafts making them work as one. The vacuum shift motor is prone to failure. The 4 x 4 Posi-Lok replaces the vacuum system with a manual version. Now when you shift in to 4wd, the front driver side axle is turning, but the passenger side axle is not operating until you engage the 4 x 4 Posi-Lok handle. This works great with lockers. When the front axle is locked, you can disengage the passenger side in order to make turns without wheel hop and then engage the axle after the turn.
--------------------------------

does this mean i can weld the spider gears in the front and as long as i have the posi-lock disengaged i will be able to turn on the street??

Offline jagular7

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 11:21:58 AM »
Yes, but offroad you won't turn any better if you have a high traction situation. I would suggest you stay away from that type of full time lock, especially in the front. For the rear, I wouldn't also weld it, unless you know what could happen and how to fix it. Most who ask about it don't know the repecussions. About the only time I would consider welding the carrier to lock is if I broke spider gears and wanted to wheel for the weekend/week and would replace it once I get back home or I have spare rears to completely bolt in during a race.

All the Posilok does is eliminate the vacuum shifter to a cable shifter. The axles stay the same.
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 09:59:45 AM »
Yes, you can weld the front spiders when you have a disconnect axle.  You won't notice it when in 2wd and the axle is disengaged.  

I've ran the front and rear axles in my YJ welded for several years now, onroad and off.  Can't beat it IMO, predictable onroad and goes just about anywhere offroad.  I've never broken an axleshaft with the Lincoln Lockers either, where I've seen many break with the 2.5L and an auto locker.

dan684

true dat
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 12:33:57 PM »
that is the way i thought of it too.  if its locked all the time there is less chance of it breaking than if you have a locker that engages only when needed.  because you have rpms up when locker engages and if the other tire has traction the SNAP goes the 27 spline.

so the posi-lock does indeed seperate the two axles so that they can turn independantly??  if this is so then i dont think i will have a problem welding the spiders in the front.  we weld our dirt track car rearends all the time and they see some serious abuse and hold up rather well.  we break akles and u-joints but no spidergears have broken

well.....any one else have their oppinion on this subject.  i dont do alot of hard climbing or rocks.  mostly just mud and sandy hills.  this will eventually be a trail only rig and then i will prob weld the rear up as well.

YJmechanic

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 02:30:11 PM »
i don't see a real problem if you use the posi lock .

Cooncan

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 01:49:30 PM »
Just remember that if you weld the spiders, your driveshaft will continue to spin even in 2wd Hi which is ok as long as you have a balanced driveshaft.   If you bend it while resting it on a rock (like I did), you'll feel the vibes and it could/will lead to premature U-joint and bearing failure.  I only welded mine because I knew I had a full size axle swap coming in the near future so I really didn't care if I damaged the factory axles or not.  If I had kept it as a daily driver I would save my money for a lock-right or something like that instead of welding the spiders.  Just my opinion.  HTH!

dan684

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 02:07:55 PM »
that makes alot of sense.  however,  i dont do any rock climbing and like i said it will be a trail only rig within a year.  as far as an axle swap,  it will definately happen in the future as i go up in tire size.  just not until its paid off and i can get my wife another "grocery getter".  also the worse i have seem happen with a welded diff. is broken spider gears and if ths happens i can replace them with a mini spool right?  anyone else with an opinion about this post it up cuz im intrested to see how many people here have done this and what the results were.
Thanks again
Daniel

YJmechanic

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 03:17:21 PM »
trail rig that may see another axle later i would go for it