Author Topic: Could it be gremlins...  (Read 740 times)

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
Could it be gremlins...
« on: May 23, 2007, 07:14:49 AM »
A couple of weeks ago the wife leaves the headlights turned on while she’s at work and completely drains the battery. She calls me; I drive out and jump-start it. I have to hold the throttle just above idle to keep it running for a minute or two before it idles on it’s own. Take it for a drive to really charge the battery good for her before she drives it home. First time I go to use the left turn signal the damn thing is blinking at double speed. Then a second later it goes back to normal. Now, once in a while it still has a tendency to blink at double speed and it seems as though it’s only the left blinker. Then today I get in it to take the wife to work and the beeping that normally occurs when the key is turned forward doesn’t beep. I get home and try it again just for the heck of it and now it’s beeping. All of this started happening after the battery died. Anyone have and idea as to what the heck is going on? It’s as if I have gremlins or something.  :mad: :eek:
02 2.5.L automatic: 4.0L t.b., 4.0l air intake, K&N filter, Scream'n Demon coil, 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor plug wires, Stage 1 Jet Chip, 29" BFG all terrain KO's. Taurus E-fan, Hummer front bumper, Skyjacker high capacity trans pan, 48" hi-lift, Rubi susp w. 3/4" BB.

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
Re: Could it be gremlins...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 12:08:26 PM »
When it's blinking double speed have you verified that both the front and back signals are flashing?  Sounds like a bad connection to one of the left blinker bulbs.
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 03:29:31 PM »
Most definitely gremlins!  My '95 does strange things too , sometimes the seat belt buzzer works, sometimes not. Just about every time I've completely drained a battery it has never been too good afterwards and ended up getting replaced soon.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 05:07:28 PM »
When it's blinking double speed have you verified that both the front and back signals are flashing?  Sounds like a bad connection to one of the left blinker bulbs.

Usually when it happens I'm going down the highway so it's really hard for me to figure out if they are both blinking. I'll have to play with it over the coming weekend in the driveway and see if I can get it to do it.
02 2.5.L automatic: 4.0L t.b., 4.0l air intake, K&N filter, Scream'n Demon coil, 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor plug wires, Stage 1 Jet Chip, 29" BFG all terrain KO's. Taurus E-fan, Hummer front bumper, Skyjacker high capacity trans pan, 48" hi-lift, Rubi susp w. 3/4" BB.

Offline Elyod

• Sedona is red
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 08:32:00 PM »
I've had blinker problems with my 98 tj.  I opened the hood to check the oil (with causes the courtesy light, not the underhood light to go on because someone messed up) and when I closed it and got in the blinkers didn't work at all.  Then, after a few minutes of messing with it, i turned on the hazards, which worked, and then magically, the blinkers worked.  I agree with neale_rs: gremlins.

jeepheap

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 06:46:36 AM »
my turn signals crap out completely when ever i move. started last week and i dont drive much cause of my recent surgury, but i works fine in the drive way, soon as i move poof, blown fuse. no idea.

if i find stripe in there i'm going to ring his neck.

Offline chardrc

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 12:05:20 PM »
my volt age goes up and down considerably with my blinkers in my jeep.  :weee: :puzzled:
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 01:19:18 PM »
I find all the above very interesting. Who knew we were all having these troubles.  :confused:Maybe Jeep cheeped out on the turn signals because they aren't realy used in an off road environment.  :whistle: