Author Topic: Steering stabilizer & auto trans pan  (Read 1203 times)

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
Steering stabilizer & auto trans pan
« on: July 24, 2007, 08:38:42 AM »
Replaced the steering stabilizer this morning. Easy as could be except for learning the hard way to use a puller to get tapered stud out of the tie rod. What a difference! Should have changed it out a while ago.

On another not... I ordered a Skyjacker High Capacity Transmission Oil Pan. Ordered it yesterday should be here today according to u.p.s. tracking info. Great thing about this pan is that it has a drain plug and holds a few extra quarts of fluid. No more slipping up steep hills.  :thumbsup:
02 2.5.L automatic: 4.0L t.b., 4.0l air intake, K&N filter, Scream'n Demon coil, 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor plug wires, Stage 1 Jet Chip, 29" BFG all terrain KO's. Taurus E-fan, Hummer front bumper, Skyjacker high capacity trans pan, 48" hi-lift, Rubi susp w. 3/4" BB.

jcsanders79

Re: Steering stabilizer & auto trans pan
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 12:09:48 PM »
Yeah, I  am going to order that pan on friday (payday) and I can't wait to see if it corrects the slippage on steep inclines.  As for the stabilizer you got off easy I had to heat mine up and use a miny sledge to get it off.

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 01:39:39 PM »
Yeah, I  am going to order that pan on friday (payday) and I can't wait to see if it corrects the slippage on steep inclines.  As for the stabilizer you got off easy I had to heat mine up and use a miny sledge to get it off.

Did you try a pitman arm puller? A couple of turns with the ratchet and it literally popped right off. Tossed the puller through the air and it almost took out a few of my front teeth. Quick thinking (and the fact that I have a 100" chest and know many things about the martial arts, lol) got me out of the way and I avoided injury. But, it worked like a charm. I tried heating it and beat it with the sledge a few times but it was no go. Puller worked perfect.
02 2.5.L automatic: 4.0L t.b., 4.0l air intake, K&N filter, Scream'n Demon coil, 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor plug wires, Stage 1 Jet Chip, 29" BFG all terrain KO's. Taurus E-fan, Hummer front bumper, Skyjacker high capacity trans pan, 48" hi-lift, Rubi susp w. 3/4" BB.

jcsanders79

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 01:41:46 PM »
No go with a puller.

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 04:06:49 PM »
2 hammers work wonders one as an anvil the other to whack the snot out of the arm. that ot one hammer and a good air hammer. Same goes for pitman arms those like some heat from a cutting torch and a couple of good whacks and its done
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 05:14:59 PM »
After whacking it with a hammer a few times and not having it move I found this article. http://www.4x4xplor.com/U-TURN.html

Also, my trans pan came in today and it kicks @$$. Going to see about installing it tomorrow.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12518_71.htm

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 05:19:27 PM »
Oops, it's this write-up that I used for the stabilizer, not the one above. http://www.4x4xplor.com/steeringstabilizer.html

jcsanders79

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 06:01:43 PM »
Did the pan you ordered from Quadratec come with a "lube locker" gasket or just a standard rubber one?  I have seen them that advertise the lube locker gasket but Quadratec doesn't.

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 06:20:17 PM »
Did the pan you ordered from Quadratec come with a "lube locker" gasket or just a standard rubber one?  I have seen them that advertise the lube locker gasket but Quadratec doesn't.

It's not a lube locker gasket. Although it's not a squishy rubber gasket either. I'm just going to use rtv.