Author Topic: Possibly a stupid question  (Read 1099 times)

lqdtrance

Possibly a stupid question
« on: August 04, 2009, 05:16:55 PM »
My tranny needs work. I can hear it and feel it. I have never taken one apart however. If I do this myself will I be able to tell what needs replacing and get it done or should I have a professional do it? Or should I pony up and buy a used one to slap in?

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
Re: Possibly a stupid question
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 06:19:27 PM »
A used tranny is usually the cheapest route.  If you have to have a shop work on it, remove and install the transmission yourself to save a ton on labor.

lqdtrance

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 06:37:32 PM »
How much vibration will a bad tranny make?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 09:26:55 PM »
How much vibration will a bad tranny make?
hmm, imo you wouldn't get vibration from the tranny (manual one i mean, i have no clue about the auto) - if you have (a) bad bearing(s) you might get some vibration (but not much), but the noise would probably be more annoying. Now if indeed the tranny vibrates and not something else (you might just have a bad tranny or engine mount or something related to the driveshaft) then you are at the point where i think you should take the route suggested by Bounty Hunter (get a used one). Assuming it's a manual, do you have problems with the synchros at all?
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

jcsanders79

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 09:41:54 PM »
When my auto went out there was no vibration.

lqdtrance

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 06:23:07 AM »
I dont have any problem getting into any gears. It just makes a wicked noise. It makes a loud noise like you can hear it spinning in there when I am out of gear and moving and also when I push the clutch in. But only when i am moving. The faster I am going the louder it gets.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 08:35:45 AM »
could also be the transfer case. it is unlikely that your bearings would go before your synchros, but it can happen (if for example was driven with low level oil in it). Could also be worn gears, but again not likely. you could try and listen with a mechanic's stethoscope with the Jeep lifted and someone shifting gears and see where the noise comes from (t-case or tranny). You could also try to put the t-case in neutral and clutch pushed in while rolling (downhill preferably) - if it still makes the noise it is probably the output shaft bearing on the t-case (could also be the rear axle though, but probably you could tell that is coming from the back in that case), if it doesn't then it's either the tranny or the t-case input shaft.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

lqdtrance

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 10:53:46 AM »
I put the transfer case in neutral and coasted down a hill w/ the clutch pushed in...... no noise. I think I have a bad bearing in the tranny.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 11:02:02 AM »
I put the transfer case in neutral and coasted down a hill w/ the clutch pushed in...... no noise. I think I have a bad bearing in the tranny.
there are also bearings on the input shaft of the t-case. at least now you narrowed down to either the tranny or the input of the t-case. I'd say to put the t-case in neutral and then shift thru gears and listen with a hose with a rod or screw at the end which you press on different areas on the tranny and t-case or a long screwdriver that you press against your ear - that will tell you where is coming from (or as i mentioned before the mechanic's stethoscope).

andrew383

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 09:12:16 PM »
checked the fluid lately??

lqdtrance

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 06:26:20 AM »
Yeah, fluid is good.