Author Topic: Transfer Case shifter removal  (Read 687 times)

meBrian

Transfer Case shifter removal
« on: August 08, 2009, 10:54:19 AM »
I am pulling my transmission back from the engine in order to replace a slave cylinder gone bad.

I am stock as far as transfer case and transmission on my 92.

Maybe I am over-thinking this, but I can't get the transfer case shifter off. I'm assuming the knob assembly slides over the post and is locked in somehow - see pic.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bsharpless/JeepStuff#5367613307609691282

You may need to rotate the picture 180deg.

Anyone have easy to understand instructions on this most complicated procedure!

BTW-please excuse my lack of technical terms. I neither speak or understand much mechanical-speak. I do understand pictures though!

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: Transfer Case shifter removal
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 01:48:30 PM »
there's a rod between the shifter and the t-case lever - it has a pin with a ball at each end and they are pressed in some plastic that are located on te t-case lever and te bottom part of the shifter. you need to pry that out with a screwdriver or a pry-bar and then take out the screws/nuts that hold the t-case shifter to the transmission. you might be able to get away without disconnecting the rod but i've never done it that way. There could be another way to take the shifter out but this worked for me in the past and is the only way i did it.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline chardrc

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 08:32:09 PM »
ypu could take the upper half of the shifter off by using a screw driver to push in the tabs in the hole of the square part of the shifter then pulling the shifter up.. could be hard to do since you are pushing the inner metal clip against rubber. the rubber part of mine had rotted away and when i put the new one on i had to use a hammer to tap the shifter back on so it may be pretty tight..
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 12:02:49 PM »
Don't remove the shifter from the top, just unbolt the shifter bracket from the transmission/transfer case, held on with 3 of the transfer case bolts.  The shifter will hang while you do your work.  I've never been able to get a shift lever to seperate.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 12:26:25 PM »
Don't remove the shifter from the top, just unbolt the shifter bracket from the transmission/transfer case, held on with 3 of the transfer case bolts.  The shifter will hang while you do your work.  I've never been able to get a shift lever to seperate.
same here, always took the bolts/nuts off the tranny
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

jcsanders79

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 10:07:41 PM »
same here, always took the bolts/nuts off the tranny
x3