Author Topic: ax-15 swap  (Read 1059 times)

pioneer4x4

ax-15 swap
« on: August 31, 2009, 10:01:48 AM »
I have a 86 2.5 TBI xj auto 3spd and want to swap to the ax-15 for a while now, just had other priorities. im pretty sure I have my parts list together, just want to see if I made any mistakes, don’t want to be part hunting last minute to cause extended down time.
so I need:

-94+ xj  AX-15 mated to a np231(external slave)
-95-98 Dakota BH from 2.5L magnum
-94+ xj crossmember with mount.
-94+ np 231 linkages
-94+ xj shift fork &  retainer clip

-1984 camaro 4 cyl - 4spd clutch disk (pn CP4198 from autozone)
or can I use:
95+ Dakota clutch kit & Slave cylinder?

-Machined pilot bushing(OD = flywheel, ID = input shaft on tranny, length ?)
-new clutch line from master to slave (AA 716130H and get correct fittings)
- new D-shafts (or at least modified ones)
-cps(for a manual)
-94+ xj clutch  master cylinder

Did I miss anything? Do I have the years correct?

As for the flywheel what do I get it from a 4.0 or 2.5, and in what yrs? I read somewhere that it needs to be the same engine as what trans was pulled from?

Also Mr_Random told me a while back id need the ax-15/np231 out of a 89-90 xj in order to keep my cable driven speedo, but the pre 95 ax-15 was internal slave right? Will the 90 np231 mate up to the 95+ ax-15 so i could retain my cable driven speedo and have the external slave? Or should I just swap input shaft on the np203 that I have now?

Have been doing a lot of research, but a lot of sites contradict each other. Thanks in advance. Sorry for so many questions.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
Re: ax-15 swap
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »
I have a 86 2.5 TBI xj auto 3spd and want to swap to the ax-15 for a while now, just had other priorities. im pretty sure I have my parts list together, just want to see if I made any mistakes, don’t want to be part hunting last minute to cause extended down time.
so I need:

-94+ xj  AX-15 mated to a np231(external slave)
-95-98 Dakota BH from 2.5L magnum
-94+ xj crossmember with mount.
-94+ np 231 linkages
-94+ xj shift fork &  retainer clip

-1984 camaro 4 cyl - 4spd clutch disk (pn CP4198 from autozone)
or can I use:
95+ Dakota clutch kit & Slave cylinder?

-Machined pilot bushing(OD = flywheel, ID = input shaft on tranny, length ?)
-new clutch line from master to slave (AA 716130H and get correct fittings)
- new D-shafts (or at least modified ones)
-cps(for a manual)
-94+ xj clutch  master cylinder

Did I miss anything? Do I have the years correct?

As for the flywheel what do I get it from a 4.0 or 2.5, and in what yrs? I read somewhere that it needs to be the same engine as what trans was pulled from?

Also Mr_Random told me a while back id need the ax-15/np231 out of a 89-90 xj in order to keep my cable driven speedo, but the pre 95 ax-15 was internal slave right? Will the 90 np231 mate up to the 95+ ax-15 so i could retain my cable driven speedo and have the external slave? Or should I just swap input shaft on the np203 that I have now?

Have been doing a lot of research, but a lot of sites contradict each other. Thanks in advance. Sorry for so many questions.

you will need flywheel + pressure plate + throwout bearing (since you have an auto you can't reuse anything there) - i just noticed you mentioned the flywheel, it has to be a 2.5L one, the 6cyl won't work.

don't know about the Dakota clutch kit - i reused my flywheel & pressure plate, which could be the reason most pple don't look at the dakota clutch, but i assume you will also need the flywheel and in this case the crank position sensor notches need to be the same or it won't work (which could be the other reason nobody did it this way either).

get a used pressure plate from a 2.5L as a new one won't disengage the camaro clutch (i had that problem and i found another writeup where the guy had the same prob so he used his old pressure plate - that fixed it for me too).

you also need a longer than stock clutch slave pushrod - i think mine end up about 1'' longer - that is b/c the dakota bellhousing is longer - for this reason you also need a pilot bushing that extends out, i used an advance adapters bushing but in my case i did the swap with an NV3550 so i'm not sure if the diameters are the same. I have a little writeup about it here http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php/topic,6984.0.html but i used a Dana 300 for a t-case and as i mentioned the NV3550 for transmission - if the pilot bushing diameter is the same with the AX15 it's worth getting the AA bushing (for some reason i think they are different though).

not familiar with XJs but from what I know on the YJs the crossmember is the same only the tranny mount is different between auto and standard and uses different holes in the crossmember (which are there already, so in case of a YJ you don't need another one)

for the speedo cable/sender, just swap the one you currently have, mine fit from a 231 to a Dana 300, i think they're all the same.

didn't see you mentioning it but i assume you do have it in the list - you need the clutch slave cylinder as well.

EDIT: the years for the bellhousing i had were 96 to 98 - i did see somewhere listed as 96-00 but i can't confirm that - got mine from car-part and that's how i searched it by 96-98 and it fits so i can confirm these years (and i think i saw somewhere that the dakota start using the 2.5L in '96).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 11:56:37 AM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

pioneer4x4

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 05:50:10 PM »
ok thanks man for the reply and advice. that sucks about having to use a used pressure plate, i was wanting all clutch stuff to be new so i dont have to drop the trans again for a while, but as long as its in decent shape it shouldn't be that big of an issue.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 10:04:43 PM »
ok thanks man for the reply and advice. that sucks about having to use a used pressure plate, i was wanting all clutch stuff to be new so i dont have to drop the trans again for a while, but as long as its in decent shape it shouldn't be that big of an issue.
you can try and use a new one, i had to take the trans off and put the old one in - if you find a new 2.5 clutch, measure it and compare it with the camaro one - even though they should be the same thickness i think that's where the problem is, could be that it's all b/c they are rebuilt (both the clutch disc and the pressure plate came from autozone and were rebuilt ones) - maybe they just sent a bad pressure plate. If you get it to work with a new one post an update so i know for the future - good luck with your build.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

pioneer4x4

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 10:00:42 PM »
yea i was thinking the thickness was the problem, ill take my micrometer with me and measure them  and see what i find. ill post my results. it may be a while though before i get a hold of everything, hopefully not too long though. thanks again for your input.