Author Topic: Parts needed; where to get them?  (Read 1343 times)

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
Parts needed; where to get them?
« on: March 22, 2010, 09:17:53 AM »
OK, I need the following parts, and was wondering where is the best place to get them (these will be shipped to Miami, FL, and I will pick them up when I go there May 1st):

• Oil pressure sending unit
  • Stud for exhaust manifold (the one closest to the firewall) and nuts/washers related
  • Exhaust manifold gasket (not even sure there is one, but just incase)
  • Speedo gear O ring
  • Diff cover gaskets (reusable ones)

I am also considering buying the Best Top Targa Top roof rack to be able to put the front part of my targa top on the rear shell and run with half doors and half cab without having to leave the top home, but that one I am not 100% sure I'll get (most likely not).  Anyway, any help will be greatly appreciated!

Felipe
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
Re: Parts needed; where to get them?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 09:41:39 AM »
OK, I need the following parts, and was wondering where is the best place to get them (these will be shipped to Miami, FL, and I will pick them up when I go there May 1st):

• Oil pressure sending unit
  • Stud for exhaust manifold (the one closest to the firewall) and nuts/washers related
  • Exhaust manifold gasket (not even sure there is one, but just incase)
  • Speedo gear O ring
  • Diff cover gaskets (reusable ones)

I am also considering buying the Best Top Targa Top roof rack to be able to put the front part of my targa top on the rear shell and run with half doors and half cab without having to leave the top home, but that one I am not 100% sure I'll get (most likely not).  Anyway, any help will be greatly appreciated!

Felipe

Oil pressure sending unit - you want me to buy you one and send it with the FPR?
Stud for exhaust manifold - use a 3/8'' stainless bolt. not sure of the length. I might have a stud, i'll look and send it over with the FPR if i find it.
Exhaust manifold gasket (not even sure there is one, but just incase) - there is one
Speedo gear O ring - same here, i can send you one with the FPR
Diff cover gaskets (reusable ones) - black RTV works like magic.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 09:42:32 AM »
Exhaust manifold gasket and intake gasket are all one piece.
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 09:55:57 AM »
Oil pressure sending unit - you want me to buy you one and send it with the FPR?
Stud for exhaust manifold - use a 3/8'' stainless bolt. not sure of the length. I might have a stud, i'll look and send it over with the FPR if i find it.
Exhaust manifold gasket (not even sure there is one, but just incase) - there is one
Speedo gear O ring - same here, i can send you one with the FPR
Diff cover gaskets (reusable ones) - black RTV works like magic.

}

Sharp,

If you have the parts available, and you are able to fit them into a small box (big packages tend to get noticed more by customs!), let me know how much it would be to add them to the order...  We're talking about the sending unit, the O ring and the stud here, right?  I'll see where I can find a gasket for the intake/exhaust manifolds (have to remove both anyway to get to the broken stud!).

As for the diff cover gaskets, I currently have black RTV, but because I change them so often (river crossings), it's just easier to use a reusable one...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 10:56:05 AM »
}

Sharp,

If you have the parts available, and you are able to fit them into a small box (big packages tend to get noticed more by customs!), let me know how much it would be to add them to the order...  We're talking about the sending unit, the O ring and the stud here, right?  I'll see where I can find a gasket for the intake/exhaust manifolds (have to remove both anyway to get to the broken stud!).

the only thing i might have is the stud (i bought a few when i did my pacesetter header and didn't use all of them) but i have to look for it. I offered to go buy the sending unit as i don't know if you can find it there or how expensive it is, i can make a phone call and let you know the cost here - these would all fit in a padded envelope so i think there wouldn't be a difference in shipping price. the o-ring is like $1 so that's really no big deal, i could just pick one up at the autoparts store.

As for the diff cover gaskets, I currently have black RTV, but because I change them so often (river crossings), it's just easier to use a reusable one...

i meant not to use a gasket at all, just black rtv, i used it and never leaked.

why do you change the gaskets after a river crossing?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 10:58:28 AM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 11:26:07 AM »

why do you change the gaskets after a river crossing?

If you go hub deep in water for very long, it will creep past the axle seals.
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 11:34:19 AM »
}

Sharp,

If you have the parts available, and you are able to fit them into a small box (big packages tend to get noticed more by customs!), let me know how much it would be to add them to the order...  We're talking about the sending unit, the O ring and the stud here, right?  I'll see where I can find a gasket for the intake/exhaust manifolds (have to remove both anyway to get to the broken stud!).

new sending unit
$55 at Jeep stealership
$30 at an autoparts store

just FYI, i asked for the cost on the exhaust gasket and they told me it's $15 - that's just for reference as i won't be able to ship it (it's too long to fit in the same envelope, weight wise should be fine).

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 11:39:57 AM »
Felipe,

Some local Jeep shops often ship to Central and South America.  They often get me parts for the price shown in the catalog (I suppose they get big dealer discounts and have enough of a profit margin to absorb the shipping and importation costs).  They might be able to get the parts shipped to you at a good price without your having to go to Miami (you might get them sooner).  If you would like to try this let me know and I'll send you their email.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 11:44:56 AM »
Felipe,

Some local Jeep shops often ship to Central and South America.  They often get me parts for the price shown in the catalog (I suppose they get big dealer discounts and have enough of a profit margin to absorb the shipping and importation costs).  They might be able to get the parts shipped to you at a good price without your having to go to Miami (you might get them sooner).  If you would like to try this let me know and I'll send you their email.

I guess I'll find out locally if they have the parts I need first, then come back here.  Will post with the results.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 11:59:36 AM »
oil pressure sender is $23 at 4wd.com http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=8908
EDIT: $20 at quadratec, although the image is wrong seems to be the correct part# Crown 56026779 http://www.quadratec.com/products/55108_07.htm
         and is $19 at morris4x4 http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product-information.asp?number=56026779
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 12:04:57 PM by sharpxmen »

YJmechanic

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 11:43:54 PM »
for regular replacement parts i always look on a site called autopartsnerd.com they seem to have a large selection in stock and shipping is almost always free but i dont know for any kind of oversees stuff

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 08:28:32 AM »
Sharp is sending me the O ring and stud (with nuts and washers), and I also found the O-ring locally for a little over $1 (I may get it anyway and use the one Sharp is sending as a spare, considering the cost).  They dont have the Oil Pressure Sending Unit, so I'll order it from 4WD.com and send it to Miami and pick it up in May when I go there (same for the gasket).