Author Topic: longer springs = longer shackles  (Read 639 times)

RatherBeJeeping

longer springs = longer shackles
« on: February 18, 2011, 12:09:54 PM »
swapped on some 87 Toyota 4 runner springs on the front of my SOA YJ yesterday.  Wheelbase stretched to 99" so far but the stock length YJ shackle is pulling the spring in to an arch in front of the axle mount and they're supposed to be flatter. I'm searching for a full length add a leaf now because I love the height it's sitting at (comparable to stock springs) and plan to make or buy a 1" longer shackle to let it stretch out more.

Alternatively I can move the front shackle mount to the front of the bumper and make the bumper a welded on piece instead.  Not as wild about that idea, or the idea of the shackle being on a bolted on bumper.

Offline neale_rs

Re: longer springs = longer shackles
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:46:50 PM »
If the springs are flat, the longer shackle should work and give you some awesome droop (the shackle will only swing to the back, both when compressing or drooping the suspension).  However, if the springs have an arch to them you will most likely need to move the shackle mount forward so that it can swing both forward and back without binding the springs, and you may also need a longer shackle. 
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

DodgeMudder

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 02:04:12 PM »
If the springs are flat, the longer shackle should work and give you some awesome droop (the shackle will only swing to the back, both when compressing or drooping the suspension).  However, if the springs have an arch to them you will most likely need to move the shackle mount forward so that it can swing both forward and back without binding the springs, and you may also need a longer shackle. 

This is what I run in the front of my YJ with running Ram Charger front springs that are flat, I run an extended shackle that allows the spring that is 2" longer than a stock YJ spring to sit flat useing stock mounts, then it swings in when the springs compress or droop, it works very well, now if you have arch to your springs you will have to make sure you have enough travel in your shackle that the spring can flatten out to the point that the axle hits the bump stops or the springs start to invert.

RatherBeJeeping

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 03:01:20 PM »
How long in your front shackle?  Could save me a lot of trouble since I can have them before I get the chance to wrench on the Jeep again

DodgeMudder

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 08:01:39 AM »
How long in your front shackle?  Could save me a lot of trouble since I can have them before I get the chance to wrench on the Jeep again

I'll have to measure them, iirc they were supposed to be a 1.5" lift shackle, I had them laying around and they were the right lenght for my set-up, since you are using different springs you may need a different lenght.