Author Topic: Oil Pan Skid  (Read 976 times)

Offline jagular7

Oil Pan Skid
« on: May 24, 2011, 10:56:52 PM »
2 weekends ago, my daughter and I competed in a rock competition. I spotted for her. On the last course, there was an obstacle with a point that you had to hit at a slight angle to passenger side, front up and over then turn at a steeper angle to setup the rear axle, then before the rear came over, you had to change direction all together. Well, I explained what I wanted her to do before approaching the obstacle. (Sorry no pics.) Well she turned a little too early on the change direction which made the rear pumkin catch. So we took a back up, in doing so, she pressed the gas to much and released the brake all together (we double pedal to keep the converter engaged). She backed up and smacked the oil pan as she passed the point. Then moving forward, she hit the pan once again.
The result (she came in 3rd), but the oil pan looked like

Got a replacement, added some metal for skid, and replaced it. PITA to do so. Couldn't remove the exhaust all the way out of the way (trans mount). Had it disconnected from the manifold and pulled it as far foward so I could to pry the pan out from the block. Did the same to get the new pan in.

Here is a pic with the pan off. Cam is wide open underneath. The cylinder walls looked clean with no scars from underneath. I didn't wipe anything down, pan was clean with no debri, pickup screen had 3 pieces in it (wiped off). Screen edge was a little bent..... :0

Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

Offline jagular7

Re: Oil Pan Skid
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 08:13:37 AM »
Here are some pics. There was a bobbed Duece that was original driveline (no ps). He tried the first course and probably succeeded to hit every gate.
Jagular7

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 12:53:31 PM »
It's amazing how long one can go without an oil pan skid, it's actually hard to hit.  Most of the local jeepers here don't run one.  But, the first time the pan gets hit, getting a skid becomes top priority!

Great pictures of the competition and congratulations on placing.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

YJWralph

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 01:32:47 PM »
I've hit my pan once, too, in a river.  Skid still isn't a priority because I'm not going back in that river with it...  F'd up my exhaust, broke two bottom header studs had to be welded and pulled out....  Front d/s has some rock rash, too, from that excursion.  Oil pan was minor that day...

Way to go in that competition!!!  And nice pics, BTW  :beers:

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 02:18:20 PM »
Mine is the SkidRow unit http://www.acmejeepparts.com/products/12529_103.htm.  It's basically on the same level as the stock transfer case skid plate.  If it gets banged up, though, it can make it close enough to the exhaust down-pipe that the pipe will get some contact with it.  Also better if you are on taller tires 33s or 35s or more, so you've got clearance.  On 31s -- my case -- its a bit of a "rockboard."  But, still have my oil pan in shape, so the skid has done the job.
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline chardrc

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 04:11:21 PM »
our cj3a acquired a big dent in its oil pan last weekend also. stock go-devil oil pan has a steel plate attached to the bottom for a skid which was enough until now, still no leaks, strengthening in the works. 
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Dylan

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 04:37:46 PM »
You might want to fix that torn front driveshaft boot, unless you're already planning on replacing the driveshaft in the near future.

Offline jagular7

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 08:18:35 PM »
Debating on the rubber boot repair. Jeep is mostly used for trails. The front portion flew off going around the block. I cut the band off. Its my second front ds. First one has messed up/frozen cv (gives lots of vibes). This is a stock replacement from another 4cyl.

I do have a doubler setup I'm wanting to put together. Picked up a flipped D300 (4:1, 32-sp output) and it was custom flipped. Got the Duffy about all together. Will also do a flat skid, possibly 3-link front, 3-link wishbone link in rear, and strengthen the axle tubes (D30R/8.8) when I go to install the doubler.
Jagular7