Author Topic: My intro  (Read 721 times)

BigCarl

My intro
« on: June 02, 2011, 05:09:03 PM »
Hey guys, new to the forum, but not forums. I frequent NewTiburon, 67-72 Chevy /GMC Trucks, RD/RZ500 Owners Group, Kawasaki Vulcan Forums and now here. I go by the same nick everywhere, so if you see BigCarl, thats me!

I have a 1994 Jeep YJ 2.5L, bought it when I was 20, ran it for 5 years and the tranny blew. Would go into 1st but wouldn't come out, so she sat. Sat until today when I moved her and now I am taking a 2.5L and tranny out of a donor Jeep (in my backyard) and putting it in my 94.

I am literally right in the middle of disconnecting all the cables in the front of the jeep... and kicking myself in the ass for doing absolutely nothing right 10 years ago when I was fixing things. What can I say though, 10 years ago I didn't know my ass from my arm pit when it came to working on vehicles. Since then (last summer) I started working on a 1972 GMC 1/2 ton. Built it from the ground up with parts from about 8 different trucks (its still, and will always be, a work in progress). She's got the posi rear end, 3 on the tree, a 350 small block, stinks like ass when she's hot and gets 12mpg. I built this truck alone, on dirt ground with my hands basic tools. When I needed new special tools, I would go out and buy them (harmonic balancer puller, brake flaring tool, engine hoist, etc.) Didn't use a single power tool. The only 2 times I asked for help was when I installed the front clip (too awkward to lift and move on my own) and the truck box (just to long to lift on my own). The rest came apart and was moved myself. I would get people stopping and watching me from the street when I was lifting up the frame and walking it around my yard like a wheel barrow. I had a great time working on that truck with countless people shaking their heads when I told them how I was doing it alone. I took it in to get it safetied and the mechanic laughed and said the only thing that was keeping the truck from a safety was 2 wiper blades. He just wrote me the safety and told me to get them done. Damn, looking back on that truck build... I would get up in the morning, drop my fiance off at work for 9 am work through the day (leave from army) pick her up at 5 and continue working until 11 or 12 midnight. I would forget to eat... damn, I would sometimes forget to breath when I got lost in that truck. It was great.

I also own:

A 1999 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 that I have customized to the point of being pulled over by the cops 2 Thursday ago for having plates registered to a Kawasaki. The cop and I laughed because it doesn't look anything like a Vulcan anymore. He laughed even harder when I told him all the work was done in my living room over the winter.

A 1985 Yamaha RZ500. I purchased this bike when I was 20... yeah living at home allowed me to purchase a Jeep and a motorcycle... a motorcycle which I couldn't afford insurance for and I was only making 1000.00 a month. I had the RZ rebuilt from tire to tire by a shop for my birthday and put insurance on it... 1 month later I get a withdrawl of $6400.00r from my account for insurance... was only quoted 1300.00/year. That ended until a month ago when I was quoted 500.00/year. Not I have her on the road. She looks like crap because all the body work has dry rot, but thats cosmetic and will come in time.

A 2003 Hyundai Tiburon, POS... that is all that I have to say. Electrical problems everywhere. I hate it.

I also own a 97 Polaris XC a 79 YZ250 and an 88 KZ250 - but those are toys.

I am probably going to have a ton of questions during the engine/tranny replacement over the next few weeks and from what I can tell, there is a lot of help on the board here.

I am looking forward to being a member.

JFortner5

Re: My intro
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 07:41:14 PM »
Sounds like you have some cool toys.  Welcome to the forum and good luck with your Jeep.

95yjman

Re: My intro
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 09:12:32 PM »
welcome to the forum!  8)