Author Topic: IAT RELOCATION OR NOT ?  (Read 2369 times)

quicksand

IAT RELOCATION OR NOT ?
« on: November 06, 2011, 01:22:42 AM »
I know this is a old topic thats been talked about since way back when even with tuner freaks. Well whats the bottom line? Has anyone here ever relocated there intake air temp sensor to a cooler location. I have heard so many pros and cons. Whats the truth does this mod work or not?

Torch_Ind

Re: IAT RELOCATION OR NOT ?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 01:39:48 PM »
where are you going to put it.  really it shouldn't make much difference

you may want to keep it closer to the head though so it can be more accurate as what the actual temp is going in to the cylinder.

quicksand

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 02:17:36 PM »
I was thinking of placing it just above the TB in the intake tube so that it still picks up some heat along with a bit cooler air temps, along with avoiding it getting soaked. But if it does not have any possitive results I will leave it be.

Torch_Ind

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 02:28:55 PM »
I can't see it helping. cause if you put it in a cooler place it will tell the computer the air is colder then it actually is in the intake.

quicksand

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 03:26:27 PM »
Well that what all the talk was about, that the computer picks up colder signals and then sends singnal to fuel injectors to stay open longer or feed more fuel along with a slight increase in timing, thus giving you more power. So they say, who knows? I know who are they?

Torch_Ind

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 04:50:02 PM »
Well that what all the talk was about, that the computer picks up colder signals and then sends singnal to fuel injectors to stay open longer or feed more fuel along with a slight increase in timing, thus giving you more power. So they say, who knows? I know who are they?

well ya never know I guess but until you do a dyno time to prove it and see if it makes any diff you will never know. cause It's not going to be enough gain  to feel I'm sure of that.

I think you would be better off doing like me and get a split second or something like that and do some dyno time and you can change the timing and injector pulse to gain max powers. vs moving a temp sensor on a maybe witch could end up giving you dead spots anyway. 

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 05:18:27 PM »
a few things:
 - moving the IAT will only have an effect if the rushing air thru the intake will be cooler at the relocation point vs the stock location, i doubt that would be the case at wot and 6 inches difference between the 2 locations (remember that is not the temperature of the intake manifold but the temperature of the sensor, if you remove it and look at it you'll see what i mean, it's in there away from the manifold aluminum and measures the rushing air temperature)
 - you're better off trying to get cooler air in the intake altogether
 - it makes a big difference in supercharged or turbocharged applications, for n/a engines not so much

@torch_ind: with the FTC1 you can only retard timing and you cannot advance it, you'd need to move the crank sensor first to get more spark advance and retard it with the FTC1 as needed.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Torch_Ind

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 06:42:06 PM »
a few things:
 - moving the IAT will only have an effect if the rushing air thru the intake will be cooler at the relocation point vs the stock location, i doubt that would be the case at wot and 6 inches difference between the 2 locations (remember that is not the temperature of the intake manifold but the temperature of the sensor, if you remove it and look at it you'll see what i mean, it's in there away from the manifold aluminum and measures the rushing air temperature)
 - you're better off trying to get cooler air in the intake altogether
 - it makes a big difference in supercharged or turbocharged applications, for n/a engines not so much

@torch_ind: with the FTC1 you can only retard timing and you cannot advance it, you'd need to move the crank sensor first to get more spark advance and retard it with the FTC1 as needed.

ya I know you can't advance it but moving the sensor isn't going to advance it.  the ftc1 gives you a large amount of control vs just trying to move sensors around trying to play tricks.  that's about the same as buying them resistors of ebay for large power increases lol oh the lastest I have seen at a department store was a cigar lighter plug in that cleans up electrical loads giving you better mpg's lol same Idea is what i'm getting at

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »

ya I know you can't advance it but moving the sensor isn't going to advance it.

you can change spark timing by moving the crank sensor - why are you saying that it won't, that's what gives the timing reference to the PCM, the crank sensor, the cam sensor in the distributor is the cyl1 reference for injector opening order.

that's about the same as buying them resistors of ebay for large power increases lol

not the same, it actually works same as FTC1 - what FTC does is to insert a delay on the crank signal wire so it sends it later to the PCM  based on when the signal was received and the rpm (the delay amount i mean not the tuning table, the delay will be shorter for the same amount of degrees as the rpm increases), it is the same as moving the crank sensor the same direction as the engine rotates. What FTC1 cannot do is to advance timing since it doesn't know when the signal will come on the wire, it needs that reference to insert the delay - moving the crank sensor the opposite way of which the crankshaft rotates will give the signal sooner by that amount in degrees. there is a limit on how much the crank and cam sensor can be off, i don't know what that is but i doubt would be less than what room you have in the bellhousing opening to move the sensor.

unless you use a turbo i don't see the benefit to retard timing on the 4banger unless you have some knocking issues, if you want to tune it with the FTC1 timing retard feature you need to have more advance to be able to retard it (and obtain more spark advance compared to stock but less than when you start experiencing knocking) - i might misunderstand what you mean so maybe explain in more detail your plan.

EDIT: i just read my post (this one) and i might have not explained my point well enough so i'll use an example

let's say you want to have +1deg more spark timing at 4000rpm but you want to keep the rest across the board just as stock - you move the crank sensor 1deg against the crank rotation, that will change the timing across the board, you retard the timing for all cells in your FTC1 timing table by 1 degree and leave the 4000rpm unchanged - of course it is a hypothetical scenario, just to explain what i meant by moving the crank sensor.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 08:17:57 PM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

quicksand

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 08:59:12 PM »
I think I will leave it alone. I do have plenty cold air coming in thru removed headlight bezels along with heat wrap on the intake tube. Maybe I will fabricate a heat shield to install between the exhaust manifold and the intake manifold. Just for the heck of it, whether it helps even just a hair. My lil 4 banger is very sensitive even to small changes. Hey If I gain half a pony or just utilize what power is already there it should not hurt. Thanks guys.

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 10:40:14 PM »
I can't see it helping. cause if you put it in a cooler place it will tell the computer the air is colder then it actually is in the intake.
That is the whole point behind it, gives it a bit more fuel and advances the timing somewhat depending on engine strategies. Cadillac Seville's used respond real well to fidling with the IAT sensor
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 11:35:49 PM »
That is the whole point behind it, gives it a bit more fuel and advances the timing somewhat depending on engine strategies. Cadillac Seville's used respond real well to fidling with the IAT sensor

probably the best place to relocate it is right at the exit of the airbox, that way would be behind the filter and in the airflow and maximize the air temp difference whatever that might be - my '86 camaro has it in that spot so there could be some reason for it.

Torch_Ind

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 04:31:50 PM »
I would like to see some actual dyno runs with this change of location for me to believe in any of it.  Like I said if you move it and the temps changes to warmer as it reaches closer to the eng your more likely just going to get running problems.  sounds back yard to me.