Author Topic: Have you ever been doing something stupid that you know is stupid?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline BoringDave

Well I was assembling my front axle last nite and got to the point I need to install the unit bearings. Well I didn't have a small wire brush to clean the splines so I used a screw diver and a cloth. Well I slid it onto my brand new Yukon 4340 stub axle and it wouldn't quite go. So this is where I get stupid. I decided hell I'll just throw the washer on there and the axle nut and suck them together with my impact. (WRONG!) so I give it a few blasts with the Snap-on super duper 1.000.000 ft lb impact and something don't feel right and I think I shouldn't be doing this. And behold the nut had stripped and galled the treads on the shaft and it's junk now.

Well this is a $100.00 lesson

I'm such a dumb A$$

TheSlowNorris

Re: Have you ever been doing something stupid that you know is stupid?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 02:59:29 PM »
I hear ya! I've broken a half dozen of so bolt heads off (in very inconvenient spots) trying to git'r'done, when better sense said spray it with PB, let it sit, pop with a hammer, repeat.

Needless to say, last body lift I did? I drilled holes above the bolts and hit both sides with PB blaster every couple of days for over a week.

Bolts came out right nice (and I'm in Utah!) :beers:

The important thing is learning from mistakes.

What were the rednecks last words?

"Hey watch this!"  :)

Offline BoringDave

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 09:43:24 PM »
Well luckily I quit before I got to stupid. I removed the stub from the unit bearing with a brass way and took it to work with me the other day. With another nut and a Mac tools 1.50 pitch thread file I went to town. About an hour later some WD and a sore hand I got er done. Now the nut screws back on by hand. I then cleaned out the splines in the unit bearing with a wire brush like I thought I should have done before. Well come to find out the splines on the stub shaft were cut slightly off. They fit but tight, I mean real tight. In order to get the shaft in the bearing I had to use a 36mm socket on the face of the hub and press the stub into the splines of the bearing. Normally I would have returned the product as defective but after killing the treads. I figured they would tell me I'm an idiot and to pound sand. So for now I'm going to run it till I buy another shaft and bearing. At that time I will just use the old one as a trail spare.

Dave

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur ExtraordinaireŽ
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 04:45:26 AM »
No wedding day pics from anyone yet?  Interesting.

:slapfight:
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 12:34:11 PM »
I'll save the wedding photo for another day, but...

Example A

... but even worse was selling it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 12:34:27 PM by 1995yj »
[1995 YJ 2.5L with 4" lift on 31" KM2 - Sold] 1995yj
[2003 TJ Rubicon 4.0L with 4" lift on 35" Wrangler M/T - Sold]
To be continued...
--Justin